Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 14:28   #1

Boat: Alberg 30
Send a message via AIM to Harry Black
Same-How Old To Single Hand

I have got many replies for which I am most appreciative. The tenor of virtually all is that I am as old (or not) as I think and that the size makes very little difference: it is really how it is fitted out. Some replied that they single hand 40-50' boats and are in the 60's, 70's and even beyond. So I am going to do it-just have to find the right one and sell my C and C 27 Mark V.

My guess from what I have heard is that a 32' Beneteau First or comparable Jenneau (I refer to them because they are the only boats that I know of that have tiller steering in the length, which I prefer) would not be appreciably more difficult than a 30'.

Should I continue to be wheel phobic? I find tiller steering much better when docking. I havbe never owned a boat with wheel steering. Is it really better to use tiller steering or is wheel steering just as good? What about room in the cockpit? Are there any advantages in wheel steering?

Asusual, most appreciative of anyone's thoughts and thank you in advance.

Harry
Harry Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 14:37   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Same-How Old To Single Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Black View Post
Should I continue to be wheel phobic? I find tiller steering much better when docking. I havbe never owned a boat with wheel steering.
Well I feel the same way about tillers and have never even been on a boat with a "get in my way in the cockpit" tiller! When I went looking to learn to sail and take lesson one of the reasons I chose the school I did was that the lessons were on a 36' boat and not a day sailer that I had no interest in learning to sail.
Old 11-02-2013, 14:41   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

On a 30 ft boat there is not much room in the cockpit for a wheel. I have sailed both, but the wheel boats were much bigger. I prefer tiller to wheel on a smaller boat but when you get over about 40 ft. then I think wheel has a big advantage of leverage.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 14:47   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I just got rid of the wheel on my boat. First and last boat I'll own with a wheel. Lack of feel, slow input, always in the way, and very tiring to steer with a wheel. They also can be a problem with pendulum servo self steering Thought I could learn to exist with a wheel but it was hopeless. Wheel steering is an abomination forced on real sailors by Yuppies with white yachting hats.

It's not that hard to convert from wheel to tiller. Get a piece of bronze hollow rod with an ID the same as the rudder stock OD and use that to connect a stock extension for the tiller head. Will probably run a boat unit to do the conversion. Hopefully you can recoup some of the cost by selling the wheel, pedestal, and other gear.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 15:02   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Wheel steering is an abomination forced on real sailors by Yuppies with white yachting hats.
I just had a long chat with the Yuppies in white yachting hats, and they've promised not to force any more abominations on real sailors. Apparently, the whole wheel thing was only a prank. The Yuppies in white yachting hats are genuinely sorry to have gotten the real sailors upset.
Old 11-02-2013, 15:12   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I'd love to have a tiller on my boat, but wheels do require less physical strength to operate, particularly in larger boats. I think a tiller would probably be doable on a well-balanced boat up to about 40 feet, and they used to be pretty common. Nowadays almost everything comes with a wheel. Wheels are much nicer for long motoring runs, like on the ICW, so you can see where you are going without getting a crick in your neck. But, offshore and when sailing you can't beat the feel of a tiller, or the convenience. I can remember many times offshore eating a sandwich and drinking coffee with both hands while steering with my leg slung over the tiller. They are much easier to rig up self steering to, much easier to repair, and much cheaper. And, as people note, you can hinge it up and have the cockpit free when in port.
Old 11-02-2013, 15:16   #7

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I just had a long chat with the Yuppies in white yachting hats, and they've promised not to force any more abominations on real sailors. Apparently, the whole wheel thing was only a prank. The Yuppies in white yachting hats are genuinely sorry to have gotten the real sailors upset.
Now that was funny right there

I DID have the "Tiller takes up the whole cockpit" boat! Irwin 28.5, plus 5 people on the boat. It's a personal preference thing, nothing more. I have both now...I guess I just want it all
Old 11-02-2013, 15:28   #8

Boat: Cal 2-30

I have had boats around 30 with tiller and wheel. I think the main thing I like about wheels is actually the support around the pedestal that you can hold onto while standing up and facing forward or even sitting on side seats when heeled over. Also the ability to quickly adjust tension on the steering. I do prefer a tiller when tacking singlehanded. I guess if I had a nice dodger with handholds that might serve same function as pedestal frame.
crashkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 16:01   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

IMO no real difference between tiller and wheel (each has pros and cons - but neither have anything fundamental). But I would say go for a wheel to make life a tad easier (in 15 years time!) from less leverage and something to hang onto! and if in the 30 / 32 foot market then likely more choice of boat with a wheel. Of course not all wheel setups are equal, some can be like steering remotely (from 3 boats away?!) and others very responsive....but also like tiller steering - boat and rudder as much to do with how she handles at the helm as what is in the hands.

For docking simply fit a rudder indicator and a marker for when the wheel / steering is centred (albeit will be a couple of turns either way - but every little helps to confirm you are in fact pointing straight ahead!, especially at slow speeds when effect in the water not so obvious / immediate)......docking with a wheel not a biggie, Motorboat owners do it all the time - so how hard can it be?!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 16:56   #10

Boat: Alberg 30
Send a message via AIM to Harry Black

I think you are all just extremely helpful and way more knowledgable than myself and I say once again a sincere thank you to all who have responded to what must seem to be rather dumb questions by me. But thanks again.

Harry
Harry Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 17:05   #11
CLOD

Boat: none

I worry about some of you that are concerned about "feeling" your boat!

I just want to steer mine and not be jumping from side to sided to do so!
Old 11-02-2013, 19:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I worry about some of you that are concerned about "feeling" your boat!

I just want to steer mine and not be jumping from side to sided to do so!
A tiller provides instant feedback to sail trim, wind shifts, etc..

Some wheels feel like you are driving a '50's Ford.

Jumping from side to to side is not necessary, just move across the cockpit as you tack.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 20:01   #13

Boat: 2bdecided

Guys

I know it's racing but I've just physically recovered from single handling my boat in a double handed race.
I'm knackered.
I have discovered that the wheel is very good for the fine days that I go sailing but when the wind gets up and we get a bit of lean I would love to be able to sit down and have a bit of a rest.
I find that I do not have enough control over the boat from the wheel whilst sitting down in heavy weather.
Food for thought.

When you draw Gunfighters pay sometimes you have to walk the streets
Kenif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 20:16   #14

Boat: Tartan 40
I don't know about the yachties in white hats, etc- but I completely agree with Roverhi- and converted my 33 footer which displaces 13000 lbs to tiller. I think we may even have shared ideas. Would never go back. Who wants to steer a wheel, all twisted up, and back in the elements, right where spray clears the dodger and hits you in the face?

Nope, i can clip on my tiller extension, lean back against a cushion, bracing my legs across the cockpit, and steer from the warmth of the dodger. Bad squall in an anchorage? Same thing- start the engine, slow ahead, and steer from companionway looking through dodger to avoid dragging boats or ease up on rode. Downwind in ship/powerboat wake and slop? Much easier to prevent yawing since you can effortlessly go stop to stop with one hand.

And need we even mention the disappearing steering appendage trick when anchored and tiller flipped up? Or when using my below decks autopilot attached to old rudder quadrant?

If I ever move up in sized boat, it will be tough to decide if I want to go with a wheel. May have to stay small enough to convert to tiller.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 21:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Black View Post
I have got many replies for which I am most appreciative. The tenor of virtually all is that I am as old (or not) as I think and that the size makes very little difference: it is really how it is fitted out. Some replied that they single hand 40-50' boats and are in the 60's, 70's and even beyond. So I am going to do it-just have to find the right one and sell my C and C 27 Mark V.

My guess from what I have heard is that a 32' Beneteau First or comparable Jenneau (I refer to them because they are the only boats that I know of that have tiller steering in the length, which I prefer) would not be appreciably more difficult than a 30'.

Should I continue to be wheel phobic? I find tiller steering much better when docking. I havbe never owned a boat with wheel steering. Is it really better to use tiller steering or is wheel steering just as good? What about room in the cockpit? Are there any advantages in wheel steering?

Asusual, most appreciative of anyone's thoughts and thank you in advance.

Harry
I Just looked at a 84 C&C 32 with tiller. nice cond a bit damp due to window leak and ver basic re equipment.
ended up bying an 84 35 III instead with wheel.
I single handed my C&C 24 with tiller. big plus is you can do tiller and sheets at same time. I used to tie tiller of due to not having self tailing .
I have not tried to single hand the 35 yet but I will give it a go. I just have to fix the wheel brake so i can set and tend to sheets.
For docking. I have a mooring. usualy back up and pick up from cockpit.
my wife doesnt like climbing up from tender so i go out get boat and bring in to dock to picke her up. wheels or tiller not an issue. just have lines and fenders rigged. al lot of people like a mid ship spring. usualy i just use 1 bow and stern for a quick stop and go.
Just take her out a few times and get comfortable with how she handles.
since i was bying used i just picked the biggest and best condition i could afford without worrying about wheel or tiller and other extras.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single