Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2010, 10:39   #1

Boat: Freedom 40/40
San Diego Marina Suggestions

I'm planning on shipping (via truck) my Freedom 40/40 from Milwaukee to San Diego late in the fall. Then in March I plan to sail from San Diego to the Sea of Cortez.

I'm looking for suggestions for a marina where I can leave BlueJacket on the hard from fall to March and then re-launch and head on out. I'm looking for a marina that has a good yard in case in run into any issues. Of course they need a crane to step the mast and a 20+ ton travel lift. I'll probably need 1-2 weeks at dock once I launch.

Thanks, Geoff
geoffschultz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 11:29   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Geoff:

Contrary to most places on the east coast, it will be difficult to find any long term storage on the hard in SoCal, especially San Diego. There are a dozen or so marinas on Shelter Island and Harbor Island. One cheap one is the new Pier 32 marina a bit south of the city. Chulla Vista further south maybe as cheap.

There might be on the hard storage at South Bay Boatyard at Chula Vista. At least from the Active Captain satellite image it looks like they have a storage yard.

Marinas will cost about $700 per month for a 40' er in Shelter Island or Harbor Island, maybe $500 at Pier 32.

A good yard to receive your boat, rig the mast and launch is Shelter Island Boatyard.

Register for Active Captain for more info or go to www.thelog.com for marina phone numbers.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 12:42   #3

You might want to try Driscoll, Mission Bay (they also have a location on Shelter Island).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 13:15   #4

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Driscoll in Mission Bay. They also allow you to do your own work. The bathrooms and showers are quite run down but it is the boat you are looking out for. Get an outside diesel mechanic if you need work done !

Say hi to Bob (slip rentals and the like) and Jorge (runs the travel lift etc.) if you go there.

-Sven
Old 28-04-2010, 14:23   #5

Boat: Acapulco 40' - Custom Built - Mariko
San Diego Boat Yard

Geoff: Try Cal Western Boat Movers. They have a boat yard just east of San Diego (10 miles) and you can work on your boat or just store it. Their number is: 619-296-9167. We have been in the yard since 1993. Good luck.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds. Mark Twain
Dmarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 14:45   #6

Thanks for the advice. I didn't understand that most marinas out there don't typically have on-the-hard storage. As a result, if I wanted to store BlueJacket on the hard before launching her, I'd have to use a company like San Diego Boat Movers. They'd charge $500 to offload the boat and another $760-960 to move her to a marina and then the marina launching fees. On top of that it would be $340/mo for storage. That doesn't make a lot of economic sense.

I've checked with several boat yards (Driscol's Mission Bay, Marine Group, Shelter Island and Knight & Carver) and the pricing is quite different to launch the boat, but crane time was pretty similar. At K&C it was $410 + 180/hr crane, Driscol's was $480 + 200/ half hour crane, Shelter Island was $600 + 150 crane, and the Marine Group was $800 + $180/hr crane. So I can pretty much figure that one out.

Then I need a marina to store the boat in for Oct-Mar. I'm looking for something that has reasonable docks/infrastructure and has good security. Since I won't be there, amenities don't matter much. It was suggested that I look in the S end of the bay. Any suggestions there?

-- Geoff
Old 28-04-2010, 15:16   #7

Boat: Acapulco 40' - Custom Built - Mariko
San Diego Marinas

There are three Marinas in the South Bay area. They being: Pier 32, It is in National City; Chula Vista Marina in Chula Vista and California Yacht Marina in Chula Vista. I have heard they have cheaper slips but I don't know if any have a yard. There is a boat yard in Chula Vista: Marine Group Boat Works, also called South Bay Boat Yard. I don't have any personal info on it, but have heard it is cheaper. Again, lots of luck. Everything here in San Diego is more costly than anywhere else.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds. Mark Twain
Dmarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 15:44   #8

Dmarina,

Thanks for the info. I'll check them out when I get back from working on the boat. As far as marina prices go, I think that they're pretty reasonable compared to east coast marinas.

-- Geoff
Old 02-05-2010, 16:51   #9

There's a place in Point Loma called Shelter Island Boat Storage I believe; just walked past it this morning. Lots of boats up on stilts, masts still on.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 18:48   #10

Boat: Looking for a new boat
pier 32 does not have on the hard storage. There is a yard down by Chula Vista Marina but I do not believe it is run by them. They have two boats just sitting out with their sails absolutely wrecked. I don't think this bodes well for someone wanting to store their boat there. Can I ask why you wouldn't just keep your boat in the water? There are plenty of people you could pay to check in on it. In some of these placed the pricing is similar. Look into Pier 32's price list.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, san diego