Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2024, 09:18   #1
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41
San Juan Puerto Rico

I'm coming into Puerto Rico. I'll be picking up crew that will fly into San Juan.

I'll be here a couple weeks.

Any recommendations for where to stay that is not overly expensive? Any good anchorages near San Juan perhaps?

Any advice would be most welcome. It's the first time I've ever been here...

dj

p.s. I'm in a monohull, 6 feet draft, 41 feet long...
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 09:39   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: San Juan Puerto Rico

You can anchor off the Club Nautico at the end of the Cano de San Antoni right in San Juan harbour. Club Nautico on the port side are very accommodating and allow you to use their dock for your dinghy. Ask permission first. Very nice people even invited us to their club BBQ's. It is about a 2km walk to the citadel. San Juan Bay Marina on the starboard side is less accommodating although they sometimes have berths available for a price.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 10:19   #3
dlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
You can anchor off the Club Nautico at the end of the Cano de San Antoni right in San Juan harbour. Club Nautico on the port side are very accommodating and allow you to use their dock for your dinghy. Ask permission first. Very nice people even invited us to their club BBQ's. It is about a 2km walk to the citadel. San Juan Bay Marina on the starboard side is less accommodating although they sometimes have berths available for a price.
Awesome! Thank you!

dj
Old 22-02-2024, 07:04   #4
dlj

Just an update.

And I thank you for this suggestion!

The dingy dock for Club Nautico no longer is functional. Seems to be either under construction or it's being taken away, not 100% sure.

But you now have to pay for dingy access through San Juan Bay Marina currently. They seem to control pretty much the entire end here.

You can anchor out, the holding is pretty bad. I wouldn't want to sit out a storm here. But it's working great for what I need at the moment. You do get showers, garbage and other amenities by paying for your dingy to use their dock, so pretty good.

Thanks again.

dj
Old 22-02-2024, 08:52   #5

Shame about Club Nautico, I guess that's life.
Old 22-02-2024, 10:07   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Yep, As noted above, right inside the inlet to the east of the cruise ship terminal is where most boats anchor.
The international airport is quite close to there, maybe 15 minutes by car.

Puerto Ricans, in my book, are some of the friendliest and most accommodating people on the planet and most all of them speak fluent English besides Spanish.

Do yourself a favor and eat out there. Almost every restaurant there has some or other " special". Puerto Rican cooking, like the people, is amazing.

Old San Juan, right across from the cruise ship terminals is an amazing place to walk thru'. Restaurants are everywhere as are a myriad of shops.

If you have the time, it's worth it to rent a car and see the island as there is much to see.

I've had had blast there !!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 13:20   #7
dlj

I've just come.back from walking through Old San Juan, had lunch there - delicious!

I'll see how much time I get to explore more of the island. Weather will be the guiding force...

dj
Old 22-02-2024, 13:59   #8
Marine Service Provider

I made some Puerto Rican friends while I was there. Every night they'd take me to some or other restaurant on some side street off the tourist track. Often these were little more than someone's front room in their house, with perhaps 4-6 tables inside.
Every night was better than the previous, which I didn't think possible...maybe better is not the right word...different.
I can say without hesitation, the best culinary examples of amazing cooking I've ever experienced in my life was in PR. It's an art form there.

On my last night I was taken " somewhere" in the mountains to a "pig roast" done PR style. I have no idea where I was. The pig was cooking under some corrugated lean-to open wood fire affair. I can't say how long it had been cooking, but obviously for hours. The "chef's" , such as they were, had been imbibing their version of moonshine during all this time and were hammered to the gills, but the final product was sublime. I had tasted anything like it before or since.

All this to tell you, experience PR cooking wherever and whenever you can.
Old 22-02-2024, 14:29   #9
dlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I made some Puerto Rican friends while I was there. Every night they'd take me to some or other restaurant on some side street off the tourist track. Often these were little more than someone's front room in their house, with perhaps 4-6 tables inside.
Every night was better than the previous, which I didn't think possible...maybe better is not the right word...different.
I can say without hesitation, the best culinary examples of amazing cooking I've ever experienced in my life was in PR. It's an art form there.

On my last night I was taken " somewhere" in the mountains to a "pig roast" done PR style. I have no idea where I was. The pig was cooking under some corrugated lean-to open wood fire affair. I can't say how long it had been cooking, but obviously for hours. The "chef's" , such as they were, had been imbibing their version of moonshine during all this time and were hammered to the gills, but the final product was sublime. I had tasted anything like it before or since.

All this to tell you, experience PR cooking wherever and whenever you can.
I will try my best! Thank you!

dj
Old 22-02-2024, 14:44   #10
Marine Service Provider

Ask the locals to tell you about " La Placida" this is an open air market kind of place. You can walk there from the marina or take a cab. There are several dozen bars and restaurants' there, most all outside dining. It's a happening place, dancing in the streets, etc, etc. Got a helluva vibe. I don't think it shuts down until 6 am or something.
Old 22-02-2024, 14:45   #11
dlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Ask the locals to tell you about " La Placida" this is an open air market kind of place. You can walk there from the marina or take a cab. There are several dozen bars and restaurants' there, most all outside dining. It's a happening place, dancing in the streets, etc, etc. Got a helluva vibe. I don't think it shuts down until 6 am or something.
Awesome!

dj
Old 22-02-2024, 14:47   #12

You should visit Old San Juan on Sunday, the kite flying is spectacular.
Old 23-02-2024, 15:08   #13
dlj

La Placita de Santurce - that's the full name. Just arrived and found what looks like a great food place. Later, will see how the night life develops...

dj
Old 23-02-2024, 16:42   #14
Marine Service Provider

Yep, Friday nights the place is hopping. I can't remember the name of the restaurant we ate at, but the food was stunning !! Sat at a long table together with other Puerto Ricans who suggested menu items for us.

Can't wait to hear about your experience there.
Old 23-02-2024, 17:55   #15
dlj

Dinner was fabulous! Lots of ambiente. Very cool place!

Gracias for the suggestion!

dj

Tags
Puerto Rico, san juan