Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2015, 03:50   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
SAS PLANET NAVIGATIONAL SYSTEM

Hi again fellow cruisers.

We have been cruising across the Pacific in some reef infested waters over the past few years and found huge discrepancies in the accuracy of our charts.

This led to us using a program called SAS PLANET which we run alongside Open Cpn with the GPS puck reporting to both programs through Franson Gps Gate.

The program allows a number of downloads of satellite imagery which has proved to be terrific, since for example, if Google Earth has cloud cover one can simply switch to a number of other satellite imagery providers all for free.

Also, the download and cache happens automatically as one 'sees the image' and we have found in the pacific where internet is sometimes / often slow, the SAS Planet files load a lot faster than those in GE. Of course, one can also download GE imagery through the program although it requires a 'route directory' that I am struggling to understand.

Here in Fiji, we have loved the program where we are able to plot routes and save tracks to share with others all through SAS Planet. To carry routes across to Open Cpn does require a conversion from kmz to gpx but we find the 2 programs work great together.

The reason I share this where many may already be familiar with it, is because we come across so many sailors who have not yet checked out SAS Planet.

I am hoping through this post, to get more of an understanding from sailors in 'the know' how to route the directory to engage Google Earth downloads and also hopefully to engage some discussion that will lead to a more in depth understanding, since finding information in English is limited.

So - anyone able to share how we go about downloading Google Earth Imagery through SAS Planet GE Tab ... would really appreciate that!
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 05:22   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: SAS PLANET NAVIGATIONAL SYSTEM

Link? All I found googling was direct download links and not much in the way of overview or even supported platforms.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 06:00   #3

http://www.sasgis.org/download/

I had to right click and use the 'translate to English' button ... this is the main page
Old 29-06-2015, 06:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Link? All I found googling was direct download links and not much in the way of overview or even supported platforms.

Mark
Mark, it is a bit tedious in Russian but translation works well.

You can also check out Форум SAS.Планета • Просмотр темы - F.A.Q./ЧаВо по программе SAS.Planet - ЧИТАТЬ ВСЕМ! (hit right button and 'translate to English)
Old 29-06-2015, 14:32   #5

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

G'day sailor mate...

Paul Higgins has made a terrific program called GE2KAP that creates georeferenced (KAP) charts from GE that can be directly overlayed on OpenCpn.

Some time back I mentioned SAS to him and he implemented the creation of KAP files from off-line SAS cached files, so now you can create KAP charts also from SAS.

See this thread, you might have to go back a couple of pages to read the reference to SAS, but it is all there, links etc.

Open CPN can read KAP files and you can switch from CM93 to the Satellite charts from a toolbar at the bottom of the screen.
This way you do not need to have two laptops running.

Any help with further English translation of SAS would be great.
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 17:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiv View Post
G'day sailor mate...

Paul Higgins has made a terrific program called GE2KAP that creates georeferenced (KAP) charts from GE that can be directly overlayed on OpenCpn.

Some time back I mentioned SAS to him and he implemented the creation of KAP files from off-line SAS cached files, so now you can create KAP charts also from SAS.

See this thread, you might have to go back a couple of pages to read the reference to SAS, but it is all there, links etc.

Open CPN can read KAP files and you can switch from CM93 to the Satellite charts from a toolbar at the bottom of the screen.
This way you do not need to have two laptops running.

Any help with further English translation of SAS would be great.
Hi Stefano - thanks for the reply.

I think this is also the program that one can set to 'download images automatically' over a large area which brings me to another question.

Our French mate was using a program to scan and download images over an area for later use when Google shut him down entirely. He said he received a message that his computer was now considered a robot. Anyone experienced this?

Fortunately he is a computer boff and says he was able to change certain address codes on his laptop to get past being identified as a robot by Google on reboot.

I am doing it the tedious way ... zooming in and out and so on, but what is a nice feature is that it immediately caches what I see for use offline.

I also like the overlay features - like Navionics overlaid on the sat image one chooses
Old 30-06-2015, 23:11   #7

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

GE3KAP creates .KAP maps from either GE or SAS (off-line).
I believe it can also create a number of charts following a route, but have not tried this function.

Impi, where if Fiji are you now?
We are in Viani Bay.
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 00:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiv View Post
GE3KAP creates .KAP maps from either GE or SAS (off-line).
I believe it can also create a number of charts following a route, but have not tried this function.

Impi, where if Fiji are you now?
We are in Viani Bay.
Hi Stefano,

We enjoyed Viani Bay - I guess Jack Fisher has been across to your boat already? We are leaving Fiji now (after 8 months cruising here) for Vanuatu - just completed the Yasawas but preferred the Lau Group - all amazing stuff hey! So sorry we missed you. Sas Planet has been GREAT for Fiji - oh man. If you get to Qamea our mate (French Sailor) Yannick may still be there on Ti-yann - he is quite the wizz on SAS Planet - he could give you a demo - was so sorry not to spend more time with him on it though. Will catch up on the other side - no internet en-route - just waiting for that cyclone to calm down as it has thrown up the sea state a bit ... cheers! ps. we did a few You Tube Videos on Lau Group, Also one with Jack Fischer at VIani, Yasawas and so on ... Fiji is amazing !!! I think this is the link ... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIy...Uhlfkd34f8FrEg

Tags
navigation