Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2016, 10:57   #1

Boat: 42' vagabond
sat phone usage

hi, i'll be sailing into gulf of mexico and the carribean this summer and am
comparing globalstar gsp 1700 to the iriduim go phone. iriduim go does the things i need, which is very little voice calls, email text and most important download grib weather files to watch for the big storms. no problem except for the high price. globalstar offers free phone and annual fee of 780 dollars for 100minutes per month. question is: can i email and recieve download grib weather files? techs are not giving me straight answers. does an sailor out there use the gsp 1700?
chuckg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:02   #2

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII
Re: sat phone usage

Have you looked into the Delorme? They just upgraded it to get weather as well. Look at TheBoatGalley.com for more info - she posted today about the weather.
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 19:28   #3

annsi
nice web site for sailors. i'm looking into the in reach but so far its not good for storm related following. it looks tobe a cheaper way to stay in touch with someone on land that can text you, be a watch dog for fronts.
Old 09-06-2016, 20:35   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

The Globalstar phone actually has the highest data speeds of all the Sat phones. You could connect it to your computer via a dock but I would seriously consider some software for compression and making the phone easier to connect. X Gate from Global Marine Networks is one of several solutions.

XGate Satellite Phone Email| Iridium 9555, Inmarsat, Globalstar via XGate | GMN

The one thing to consider since you mentioned the Gulf of Mexico is that with some Globalstar packages, whether post paid or pre paid, there is no coverage for the Gulf of Mexico. Meaning they offer it with one package but not the other. So be careful which you choose.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:13   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

This another option. Much more robust than DeLorme but with similar plans. I haven't heard from anyone who has actually used it though.

https://www.skymate.com/user_groups/...l_boating.html
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:58   #6

thank you, Pete
i'll definitly research that. difficult deciding without good input.
Old 18-06-2016, 08:21   #7
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Hello,

Short answer: Yes, you can receive email and GRIB weather with a GSP 1700.

Long answer:
The GSP 1700 is a good solution. It is four times faster than Iridium, but does not offer global coverage. So make sure you check the coverage map to make sure that there is coverage in your planned cruising area. To effectively use the GSP 1700 you should consider a docking station with an external antenna and an Optimizer from Global Marine Networks or a GSP 9600 wifi router from Globalstar. You will need to use compression based software...XGate is a good solution, though with your Globalstar purchase you will have access to the Sat-Fi app for FREE, which is a branded version of XGate. Note that with XGate you currently get a free subscription to the PredictWind weather software and data which is bundled with XGate.

You might also consider a Globalstar Sat-Fi which an Iridium Go like device offered by Globalstar but includes an external antenna for a total cost of about $1000. Again, email is offered for free by Globalstar with the Sat-Fi app or you can use subscription based XGate with the free PredictWind offering.

Note that XGate with the free PredictWind service also works with the Iridium Go. However as with the Globalstar we recommend that you purchase an external antenna for the Iridium Go!. The Iridium Go will provide world wide coverage, but it is four times slower than Globalstar, which makes it more expensive to use unless you download a lot of data and purchase the Go! unlimited airtime plan for $124 a month.

Here are some links you may find helpful:
Hardware:
GSP 1700 Globalstar GSP-1700 | Mobile Satellite Data and WiFi | Global Marine Networks
GSP 1700 docking station Globalstar GSP-1700 Docking Station (currently on sale)
GSP 9600 Globalstar 9600 | Satellite WiFi Hotspot | GMN
Global star coverage map Coverage Maps - Voice, Duplex, and Sat-Fi Service-Globalstar USA
Globalstar Sat-Fi Sat-Fi | Global Marine Networks
Globalstar airtime Globalstar Airtime
Iridium Go! Iridium GO! | Satellite Phone WiFi | Global Marine Networks
Iridium Go! antenna adapter Iridium GO! External Antenna Adapter | Global Marine Networks
Iridium Marine antenna Iridium External Antenna

Software:
XGate XGate Satellite Phone Email| Iridium 9555, Inmarsat, Globalstar via XGate | GMN
PredictWind PredictWind Marine Weather and Wind Forecasting Software | GMN
Sat-Fi apps Globalstar Sat-Fi

It seems to be getting down to your cruising area, cost analysis, and your preference for speed. GMN also offers a free satellite consultation at Satellite Communications Consultations

I hope you find this post helpful.

Fair Winds,

Kim
Old 18-06-2016, 20:24   #8

KIM,,,, WOW. thank you for your time and information. i checked around my marina (Club Med- here in florida) and no one knows much about sat phones. been cruising the web and get conflicting or hard to understand info. this helps alot! wishing you smooth sailing and the best of times
chuck

Tags
phone