Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2008, 07:50   #16

Boat: 1996 Hunter 23.5 and a 1990 Hobie 18
Although I do not think I can make a trip this year... I am very interested in the prices. We (Wife and two other couples) are trying to line something up.

Thanks
Todd H
Thibodaux LA
Scubajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 08:07   #17
cruiser

Working on the prices... I'm doing my best to negotiate something reasonable for us. If we have sufficient numbers, of course the price can go way down... Right now, I'm looking at maybe 8-12 people.

Would people prefer smaller boats (and more of 'em) or larger boats with more people packed in? Please answer this even if you are *not* going... just so I can figure it out in general.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 08:20   #18

Boat: 1996 Hunter 23.5 and a 1990 Hobie 18
I would rather not be "packed in" but for a great price I would not mind being packed in. Hell we are talking sailing here..... When the weather is good give me a hammock and a pillow on the deck and I'm good.

I dont mind close quarters.... BUT then again... I think the wife would rather a little more "personal space"... It would be interesting to see the price either way.

Thanks
Todd H
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the things you did do. So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Scubajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 08:38   #19

Boat: Crealock 37
Bad time for me, also - but very good idea! Id' be interested in the price (and possibly a future trip...maybe even early spring????)- If I could go, I'd prefer more smaller boats.
texwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 10:42   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Why?!?! What are you trying to say.
Wheels!...no offense intended! From what I have seen of your posts, I am sure your a great guy along with 99% of everyone else in this forum. I love meeting new people and making new friends.

The fact remains that sometimes even the best people do not get along with each other. It's just a consideration to take before jumping on board a boat where the furthest you can get away from someone is the length of the boat. It could end up being no different than having a cell mate named "Bubba".

I would imagine the charter will end up being fine for everyone who goes.

Cheers!
David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 10:53   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Dave it was compleatly made in jest. I even purposely held back smilies or winks icons. I know exactly what you meant. :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 10:57   #22

Boat: Delphia 37
Well, I'm already going to be in the BVI on a boat during this time... not much help I can be here!

Once you have some basic pricing down I'd be very interested in that for future reference.
marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 10:58   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Right now, I'm looking at maybe 8-12 people.
All on the same boat?? Mate! I hope you guys all believe in underarm deodorant ;-)
What I would simply like to know is, how much does a boat normally cost and is that for the boat and fit as many in as you want, or is it per person. I have heard stories of costs around NZ, and they all seem horificaly expensive and usually per person. So cost does not come down with No.s. But I guess it depends on country and on charter operator.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 10:59   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I know Alan.... Thanks It was more for the others who would read it and the fact that I usually over react to things.

I am curious to know the price per person for this charter as well. Although I cannot make this charter, the idea does interest me for another future charter. My greatest challenge would be in convincing my wife.

Does a Mexico charter for us left coasters, (and right coasters of course), sound interesting?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 17:59   #25

Boat: Catalina 30
I vote for a Lagoon 440 with A/C and genset with 4 couples to keep the price down...what an incredible yacht...I'd love to be on the fly bridge and feel one of those on a broad reach in winds just below reefing level......while the Admiral is leisurely making painkillers in the galley!!
Moonchaser2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 18:28   #26

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post

Would people prefer smaller boats (and more of 'em) or larger boats with more people packed in? Please answer this even if you are *not* going... just so I can figure it out in general.

I would want a cat so I guess that means the old "charter layout", ie, larger and more packed.

But like I said if I have the kids then we take 3 cabins for just us. Unless the older one sleeps on deck like he did the last time he was on a charter boat.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 18:37   #27

Boat: OP's boats! Charter big cats and race big monos!
I can suggest a travel forum that I hang out on.
Not sure it's cool to provide a link to another forum and thread though, let me know.

We have done 10 charters in the BVI's and have our major cahter this year in June on a Voayage 440 plus cat. I know the Owner, so we get to use the new spinnaker and other neat goodies. He is around this forum sometimes as well.

I leave next week for an 11 day sail with some buds from the forum this trip without my girls aboard!

We have a flotilla of 5 boats so far starting June 28 at Foxy's Jost Van Dyke.
What the heck, here's the link, if the Mod's don't like it, they can remove it!
Traveltalkonline: TTOL BVI June '08 Flotilla part III
Saildoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 06:56   #28
cruiser

No deal..

Well, it doesn't seem like the charter companies want to play the "group discount" game to the level I think is appropriate.

So... no good deal on this end. I tried...

Sorry for the false start.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 19:44   #29

Boat: Catalina 30
How about a cabin on a Lagoon 440 from May 10 - 16 with the owner?
Moonchaser2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 19:47   #30

Are you planning something like a bunch of boats and everyone sails "together" for the week?

If that's the party... I think two couples per boat or 4 people sounds good and and you could mix it up too every other day!

Nice idea... but probably more than we could afford right now.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote