Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2012, 06:42   #16

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Re: Sceptical about crew found online.

Mate, I have got 7 crew from online for my cruising yacht in Sumatra, all were good people and did their best. I recommend the crew wanted forum on this site and the floatplan site.

Be explicit in your requirements and cost sharing arrangements, get a deposit upfront and try and be very non judgemental, even if they break things and drop your tools over the side!

Good luck from Keith.
Old 24-02-2012, 07:28   #17

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

In response to AreMS: you are very prudent to be skeptical in taking on unknown crew. First hand information about the goofy misadventures of some one I know very well, substantiates my positions in this regard. This individual was so desperate to find a spot on a sailing vessel that he spent a lot of money and time traveling to a "pie in the sky" sailing arrangement which blew up w/n two weeks, thankfully, prior to leaving port. He then lept on a boat w/another desperate individual looking for a "skipper"...that lasted an unhappy week..not a good scene...the agreement from both boat owners that they would pay for his return trip home was not honored..and he was stuck 1000 miles from home. Luckily he never left the East coast with either of these people...this is just one example, based on the majority of responses to your post, it is not an unusual result to this nature of solicitation.....listen, if you want crew, the best advise given you was to research your local resources, sailing clubs and yachting associations, DO NOT just trust to blind luck here. The worst thing that can happen is that you get out to sea w/someone that is not only intolerable but might actually put you in danger as a result of inexperience sailing or from personality issues......be cautious and know who you are going to sea with.
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 07:55   #18

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Excellent questions, AreMS... Sounds like you will be sailing coastwise off Croatia so if there are serious problems you can put off the problem children. Atoll and Badsanta offer good advice. As a former delivery skipper, I've had lots of experience with new crew members from whom I always request a CV and ask them to tell me a little about themselves in writing. Followed by a face to face meeting which today can be done by SKYPE. Ask for references and check them.
I take it these are not paid crew but would contribute to the operating costs of the boat. I suggest you concentrate on financial ability to contribute to the venture but the most important issue before experience will be their ability to get along well with others and be part of a team. Write the questions out before discussing the venture with your prospective crew and give them the opportunity to ask questions as well. You can tell a lot about an individual by the questions he/she asks. Remember, it is supposed to be fun!
Just wish I were 50 years younger... I'd be there in a heartbeat... I love that part of the world. Cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 07:56   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Well,

My wife of 12 years was a total stranger before I met her. And that is working out great. OTOH my ex-wife was a total stranger before I met her as well. I guess it balances out.

Get to know people and choose wisely. Good communications as to what to expect and what is expected in return.

Lastly assuming that they are not psycho (in which case you would be better alone) it is often much less difficult to change yourself than to change others. Don't let the small stuff bother you. (e.g. you can clean up toenails after they leave your boat)

Regards
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 14:09   #20

Where life gets interesting is going off shore, when the last point of land dips below the horizon. That when you start to realy get to know others, and for that matter yourself. How you or they respond is what defines what kind of a seaman is on the boat.

Some think that they has lost their security, others thing they have found freedom.
Old 24-02-2012, 14:12   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I wouldn't put to sea with anyone I "just" met on-line in some random forum. Odds are against it.

OTOH - your odds would go up a bit if you posted for crew here in the crew section, explaining your vacation plans and seeing if there is anyone adventurous. Anyone with 100 posts or so is "kinda" known by their on-line persona.

I've met many CFers in real life and all are great folk so far...

Good luck.
Yeah.. what he said...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 14:59   #22

Boat: g-cat 5. m

yes it is a two way street I often think the same thang I see someone looking for crew and they have 3 or 4 post and want you to go on a 3000 mile cruise.It just scares me and well, I have no experience so they dont want me anyways
courageous cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 15:06   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous cat
yes it is a two way street I often think the same thang I see someone looking for crew and they have 3 or 4 post and want you to go on a 3000 mile cruise.It just scares me and well, I have no experience so they dont want me anyways
Hey - be courageous Mr. Cat!

I may not launch on a 3 k cruise with you but definitely daysailing and coastal sailing. Everyone's gotta start somewhere and attitude is the most important thing not the sailing resume.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 15:14   #24

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Getting a crew off the internet is probably the modern equivalent to rounding up sailor-types from waterfront saloons and pubs (read Treasure Island).
Old 24-02-2012, 17:15   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Getting a crew off the internet is probably the modern equivalent to rounding up sailor-types from waterfront saloons and pubs (read Treasure Island).
Thats not true, you dont know if they have wooded legs or parrots
Old 24-02-2012, 19:29   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Just post a crew wanted notice on a board in your local area and interview candidates in person prior to taking them, and you should be ok. I've had tons of crew this way, and never had a bad experience. A few cases of big exaggeration of their skills, but that was not really a problem, as I mostly need people who can deal with lines and fenders when docking and undocking, and generally help out. I've made a few good friends this way, and never had a crew who was unpleasant or even boring. Be careful but don't be paranoid.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 19:36   #27
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Bash's rule #1: Never sail long with crew with whom you have not sailed short.
Bash's rule #2: Never sail long with a skipper with whom you have not sailed short.
Bash's rule #3: Internet sailing doesn't count in regards to the first two rules.
Old 25-02-2012, 04:28   #28
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Sceptical About Crew Found Online

Internet is a great way to meet people (really opens up your reach ) - but not a substitute for using own noodle when selecting folks.

In real life some are good at using noodle, others not so. Always has been - always will be.

In OP's scenario, probably have to take pretty much what he (?) can - and then train them up to at least basic monkey standard (not rocket science, much of it is about not breaking stuff / not doing anything stupid ) and IMO big advantages to have raw material to deal with rather than those with own ideas!......with a Plan B for having folk(s ) onboard who are too much of a PITA for whatever reason (being close to shore means no need to have a plank onboard ), might not want to be shorthanded (or singlehanded) but options open up if you can be and therefore are not "married" to the crew.

For the boat (and use) described, singlehanded should be well doable - and 1 decent crew member a doddle - anything else is simply a bonus.

As often is the case with boats, the biggest factor is the Skipper......if he / she don't know WTF they are doing with boat and / or crew then problems more likely to arise which can be pinned on bad luck and bad crew - but fundamentally those are just symptoms of a bad Skipper.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 04:50   #29

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
Re: Sceptical About Crew Found Online

I have had very good luck with findacrew.net having found 3 people off the site last year. The first two made it all the way from Florida to Tahiti. It's not like sailing with friends or family though, you must be prepared to bite your tongue on occasion.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 05:12   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Bash's rule #1: Never sail long with crew with whom you have not sailed short.
Bash's rule #2: Never sail long with a skipper with whom you have not sailed short.
Bash's rule #3: Internet sailing doesn't count in regards to the first two rules.

Interested in a sail to South Africa from Boston non-stop? Must leave exactly on April 15 at 0603. Bring your own laptop, and cash.

Tags
crew