Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2021, 02:46   #31

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: SE ASIA 2021 - Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Indo, Malaysia and Thailand are all doable now, but not cheap. Or I guess I should say not cheap to get in. Once in, living is low cost - certainly a lot less than the Australia.
Hmm ... I'm not sure I agree.

Thailand has tried to open to cruisers and tourists by air. The first time, no one (other a few) came. Perhaps because of the cost.

Second time (and currently) has been stymied by a surge in new cases in the local population.

A new attempt to set up a system of Certificate of Entry for tourists by air is just starting, but the latest upsurge in cases may stymie that too.

Malaysia has allowed cruisers who had left their boats in MY to enter, after quarantining and paying for PCR testing etc, to reclaim their vessels. I've not seen any new entrants of cruisers (but I do not follow every port). I've seen at least one cruise ship do port stops.

Malaysia had extended social visit passes (the equivalent of a visa for tourists) for foreigners stuck in MY. For foreigners who did not negotiate paperwork for extensions of their SVP, a door may shut on 21 April. No one knows what happens on that front (so cruisers in country have generally been talking to Immigration).

Malaysia had hoped to open to limited domestic tourism for the Eid al'Fitri that follows the month of Ramadhan (i.e. the Hari Raya Puasa days of feasting and fun that start on Syawal 1 or, in the Gregorian calendar for 2021, on 13 May). That's unlikely to happen unless the new case load collapses fast.

I've attached the usual daily infographic of new cases for 14 April (states are colour-coded by the particular movement control order, the daily new case numbers are clearly reported for each state or territory).

Both ThaiLand and Malaysia are vaccinating their populations. Vax of the local population is happening, but slowly. In ThaiLand, one of the problems is that the main supplier of vax has to be a company owned by He-whom-I-won't-name for lese majeste reasons.

In Malaysia, vax is happening fairly methodically and transparently (i.e by age group/location etc) but it's taking time.

ThaiLand had worked on the basis that it would only require a vaccinated foreign tourist to quarantine for 7 days. And they likely will hold to that. One idea was to vax all of Phuket so it could be opened to cruisers and tourists. That might still work. Other than that, the eating out/entertainment scene in ThaiLand is quite quiet. The days when I would row ashore for a meal in a village, cheaper and better than anything I could cook on board, are gone (at least for now).

Malaysia works, as usual, incrementally. Until domestic interstate tourism is open, foreign tourism (including cruisers) is v limited (with the exception of the one cruise ship I mentioned). So even if you were given entry, you're not going to have much opportunity for fun and travel. Malaysia has never depended on foreign tourism as much as ThaiLand (or Bali), so the pressure to open the tourist economy is even less.

The dining scene in MY is relatively open as long as Standard Operating Procedures are followed. The entertainment/tourism sector is otherwise almost dead (with nightclubs and bars that do open either shut down and given massive fines or complying with particular operating procedures)
Old 14-04-2021, 02:58   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
A new attempt to set up a system of Certificate of Entry for tourists by air is just starting, but the latest upsurge in cases may stymie that too.
The CoE process at the moment is only for tourists arriving by air in ThaiLand, not cruisers. I'm not in TH at the moment, so I cannot go talk to TH immi.

If you want to play with CoE by air to ThaiLand, point your browser to:
https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/regis/step?language=en
Old 14-04-2021, 04:20   #33

Quote:
I've attached the usual daily infographic of new cases for 14 April (states are colour-coded by the particular movement control order, the daily new case numbers are clearly reported for each state or territory).
From that infographic you'll see that Malaysia's new case load today was 1,889. What that doesn't tell you is that it's the highest daily new case load for 40 days.

I'll attach the infographics for two of the peninsula states most visited by cruisers: Penang; and Negri Sembilan. Negri Sembilan includes Port Dickson, often used as an entry port to MY and home to an excellent marina. Penang does not have an excellent marina, but it has big mobs of other attractions.

I attach only the infographics for only those two states because the infographics for Kedah (in which you find Langkawi); and Perak (home to the Dindings River and the Pangkor marina) have not yet been published as I write.
Old 14-04-2021, 04:30   #34

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Hmm ... I'm not sure I agree.

Thailand has tried to open to cruisers and tourists by air. The first time, no one (other a few) came. Perhaps because of the cost.

Second time (and currently) has been stymied by a surge in new cases in the local population.

Malaysia has allowed cruisers who had left their boats in MY to enter, after quarantining and paying for PCR testing etc, to reclaim their vessels. I've not seen any new entrants of cruisers (but I do not follow every port). I've seen at least one cruise ship do port stops.

Malaysia had extended social visit passes (the equivalent of a visa for tourists) for foreigners stuck in MY. For foreigners who did not negotiate paperwork for extensions of their SVP, a door may shut on 21 April. Noip one knows what happens on that front (so cruisers in country have generally been talking to Immigration).

Malaysia had hoped to open to limited domestic tourism for the Eid al'Fitri that follows the month of Ramadhan (i.e. the Hari Raya Puasa days of feasting and fun that start on Syawal 1 or, in the Gregorian calendar for 2021, on 13 May). That's unlikely to happen unless the new case load collapses fast.

Both ThaiLand and Malaysia are vaccinating their populations. Vax of the local population is happening, but slowly. In ThaiLand, one of the problems is that the main supplier of vax has to be a company owned by He-whom-I-won't-name for lese majeste reasons.

In Malaysia, vax is happening fairly methodically and transparently (i.e by age group/location etc) but it's taking time.

ThaiLand had worked on the basis that it would only require a vaccinated foreign tourist to quarantine for 7 days. And they likely will hold to that. One idea was to vax all of Phuket so it could be opened to cruisers and tourists. That might still work. Other than that, the eating out/entertainment scene in ThaiLand is quite quiet. The days when I would row ashore for a meal in a village, cheaper and better than anything I could cook on board, are gone (at least for now).

Malaysia works, as usual, incrementally. Until domestic interstate tourism is open, foreign tourism (including cruisers) is v limited (with the exception of the one cruise ship I mentioned). So even if you were given entry, you're not going to have much opportunity for fun and travel. Malaysia has never depended on foreign tourism as much as ThaiLand (or Bali), so the pressure to open the tourist economy is even less.

The dining scene in MY is relatively open as long as Standard Operating Procedures are followed. The entertainment/tourism sector is otherwise almost dead (with nightclubs and bars that do open either shut down and given massive fines or complying with particular operating procedures)
In Malyasia there are a number of marinas setup to quarantine incoming vessels: Pangkor and Royal Langkawai Yacht Club. It is not cheap, requires help of an agent and marina and a plspan to do work on your vessel in Malaysia. A number of yachts have come in this way recently. You really gotta want to come to make it worthwhile.
You'll see more yachts heading to Thailand and paying the fees now that it appears that Malaysia is not extending visas with the latest MCO.
As far as Indonesia goes, the only info I know is the claim by Marina del Ray that they can get you in for a price,
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 04:30   #35

Quote:
I attach only the infographics for only those two states because the infographics for Kedah (in which you find Langkawi); and Perak (home to the Dindings River and the Pangkor marina) have not yet been published as I write.
In lieu of the daily new case maps for Kedah and Perak, here are the curves for new infections over the past 28 days for each of those states. Now that does not tell you about the number of cases on Langkawi or at Pangkor, but it tells you about the trend in each of those states (interstate travel is effectively banned, but travel between counties [daerah-daerah] within any one state is allowed unless a local movement control order has been instituted).
Old 14-04-2021, 19:30   #36

Infographic of the current wave of confirmed new cases in Malaysia, showing:

* observed new cases (grey bars);
* 7 day moving average (solid black line);
* forecast cases if people were to comply with standard operating procedure and reduce the effective reproduction rate of the virus from 1.2 to 0.8 (blue area); and
* forecast if people do not comply with SOP and push the effective reproduction rate back to 1.2 (red area).
Old 14-04-2021, 19:32   #37

Infographic for Malaysia showing:

* daily confirmed new cases (grey bars);
* 7 day moving average (solid black line); and
* best estimate of the effective reproduction rate of the virus.
Old 14-04-2021, 19:38   #38

Each county [daerah] and state of Malaysia has its own population characteristic.

Here're latest estimates, by state and territory, of the effective reproduction rate of the virus (the R value, or R subscript zero value).

I'll only post two infographics, to cover selected states such as Penang (Pulau Pinang), Kedah, Negri Sembilan, and Perak that are popular with cruisers.
Old 14-04-2021, 19:40   #39

Quote:
I'll only post two infographics, to cover selected states such as Penang (Pulau Pinang), Kedah, Negri Sembilan, and Perak that are popular with cruisers.
Kedah includes Langkawi. Negri Sembilan includes the Admiral marina at Port Dickson. Perak includes the Pangkor marina near Lumut.
Old 14-04-2021, 20:06   #40

A final infographic, on vaccination status in Malaysia as at 14 April 2021.

For each state/territory, the figure on a green background is the number of people who have received their first vaccination and the figure on a dark green background is the number of people who have completed the course of a two-shot vaccination.

Vaccination against Covid-19 has been open to all in country, whether Malaysian nationals, foreign workers, or foreign cruisers. Registration for vax could be achieved in multiple ways, including by the Malaysian government's MySejahtera app on a smartphone/smartdevice.

Vaccination has been proceeding steadily if slowly. Frontliners have mostly all been vaxed. Elderly and other more vulnerable people, both locals and cruisers, are being vaxed currently roughly in descending age order and vulnerability factors.

MetMalaysia, the meteorological agency, similarly makes weather radar and numeric model weather forecasts available to locals and cruisers by MetMalaysia's dedicated smartphone app and the MetMalaysia website. For cruisers heading N along the Malacca Strait, being able to see the thunderstorms (in real time and in numeric model forecast) on the app is quite handy.
Old 15-04-2021, 02:08   #41
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Other than Singapore,
... Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and especially the Philippines, where I am...... are a mess in their Vaccination programs, so I do not see reliable conditions for relaxed cruising until 2022.

Surges are happening everywhere as here outside Subic base in Olongapo
34 cases last week, 146 this week with 65 dead!

To pay $5k per couple to get caught in a foreign land, with a good chance that if conditions worsen you become an unwanted liability, seems just plain stupid !

Stay where you have rights and support infrastructure, unless your trying to get your boat out of a foreign country.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 02:10   #42
CF Adviser

https://m.malaysiakini.com/news/570464

Foreigners asked to leave
Old 15-04-2021, 02:19   #43

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Other than Singapore,
... Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and especially the Philippines, where I am...... are a mess in their Vaccination programs, so I do not see reliable conditions for relaxed cruising until 2022.

Surges are happening everywhere as here outside Subic base in Olongapo
34 cases last week, 146 this week with 65 dead!

To pay $5k per couple to get caught in a foreign land, with a good chance that if conditions worsen you become an unwanted liability, seems just plain stupid !

Stay where you have rights and support infrastructure, unless your trying to get your boat out of a foreign country.
Probably good advice. Doesn't apply to the many cruisers who are already half way around the world from their home country.
Malaysia is no longer unconditionally extending visas for the hundreds of cruisers there. I expect they'll be a big increase in cruisers going to Thailand and Indonesia.

As far as covid risk goes, both Malaysia and Thailand are pretty reasonable - far better than Canada or US in my preception.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 02:27   #44
CF Adviser

Yes, my comments were more towards someone contemplating leaving home waters this year.

Unfortunately I see my home waters of the Philippines as being the slowest to get vaccinated and no provisions yet for foreign residents to buy vaccines
Old 15-04-2021, 02:54   #45
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Just got this from Marina Del Ray

Indonesian government has Changed the laws and given us a policy to accept foreigner yachts to stay and clear in and out at International Port Marina Del Ray.
and for clearance process is following the covid-19 procedure.

·Clearance fee is $ 110 USD (one-way)
All document you need to process clearance is.
- E-Visa (Get E-vise before sail to Indonesia)
-Temporary Vesel Declaration of Indonesia (VD)
-Crew list
-Boat register
-Pasport copy of all crew and captain on board
-Port clereance from the last port
-Vaccination list (optional)

-List of plant and animal on board (optional)
- PCR Test of Covid-19 (Departure Port)

·E-Visa (B211A)
Visa 60 days and Extendable cost is $300USD/ person (cost include for visa and Consultan fee ).
Processing is 10-15 working days since document and payment complete
·Special offer $ 550USD Processing is 3-5 working days since document and payment complete

Document E-visa requirements, please send to us
1.Passport Cover
2.Copy of Passport
3.Statement Letter of Quarantine (attached)
4.Job Status
5.Phone Number
6.Marital Status

for payment bellow by wire transfer
Account Number: 1610004529926
Account Name : MARINE DEL RAY
Bank Name: Mandiri
Swift Code: BMRIIDJA
Company address : Tanjungan Desa Gili Gede, Kec.Sekotong NTB Lombok 83365

NB :
1.Full Payment before start
2.Refund 80% from total Payment if Visa didn't get it (Immigration Issue)
3.E-visa Validity period is 90 days until you Enter Indonesia

·Quarantine Procedur For Yacht
1.PCR Test of Covid-19 when your arrive
2.Self-Quarantine on board while Clearance process
3.No Fee for Quarantine

if you boat staying at marina for 6 months then all extend visa is free
you can extend 4 times and you allowed to travel around all of indonesia
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asia