Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2020, 21:42   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Sea Sickenss - The Holy Grail of Pills.....

Stugeron doesn't work for me, unfortunately. Nothing really seems to, except maybe the scop patch the one time I tried it
Old 28-02-2020, 22:36   #32

Boat: Tayana 37 Pilot House

For those who have not previously found relief from sucking on a ginger-honey lozenges or found any other non-pharmaceuticals to be useful, avoid scopolamine due to the prevalence of hallucinations. So, choosing from among those antihistamines of value for their anti-vertigo properties, the best rule is to start with one that has the least side effects, though all of the anti-vertigo class cause drowsiness to some extent and difficulty emptying the bladder can be simply awful for older men (i.e. 50 & over). Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) is tolerated the best of all, has a very good track record for sea-sickness and is popular as a sleeping pill for the elderly. It is available w/o the need for an Rx and has the least side effects. But, getting back to drowsiness, just because people get over feeling sleepy after the first 24 hrs. of using a drowsy type of antihistamine, does not mean they can be expected to stand watch, take the helm at night, or be trusted to go forward on deck in blustery weather, because reaction time and eye to hand coordination will be compromised while under the effect of the antihistamine. That is why a motorist can be fined for driving while under the influence of the types of anti-histamines that cause drowziness.
Taipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 04:02   #33

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

hallucinations are not actually "prevalent" with the use of the patch.. it is simply a known side effect and that is all...

sound advice was given above to try the patch before heading offshore to determine your susceptibility to the side effects.

it is also safe to assume that pretty much everyone has tried dramamine.. its cheap, OTC and available worldwide..

yet it does not work for many, just like ginger, motion bands, the patch, or whatever does not work for everyone.

so with fear-mongering deleted, I will read your post as "take the remedy that gives you effectivity with the most manageable side effects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipe View Post
For those who have not previously found relief from sucking on a ginger-honey lozenges or found any other non-pharmaceuticals to be useful, avoid scopolamine due to the prevalence of hallucinations. So, choosing from among those antihistamines of value for their anti-vertigo properties, the best rule is to start with one that has the least side effects, though all of the anti-vertigo class cause drowsiness to some extent and difficulty emptying the bladder can be simply awful for older men (i.e. 50 & over). Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) is tolerated the best of all, has a very good track record for sea-sickness and is popular as a sleeping pill for the elderly. It is available w/o the need for an Rx and has the least side effects. But, getting back to drowsiness, just because people get over feeling sleepy after the first 24 hrs. of using a drowsy type of antihistamine, does not mean they can be expected to stand watch, take the helm at night, or be trusted to go forward on deck in blustery weather, because reaction time and eye to hand coordination will be compromised while under the effect of the antihistamine. That is why a motorist can be fined for driving while under the influence of the types of anti-histamines that cause drowziness.
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 13:37   #34

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@Trente Pieds,

Yes, it is disapointing, and I have to admit that since my infamous 19 days straight with it (on the 30 footer, HI to SF), I have not been willing to try again with nothing. I worked on it both by mind over matter ways, and by trying every remedy available at the time, till I found something I could trust. Something that worked with minimum side effects was years in the finding.

It is jerky motion that sets my s/s off. My body copes well with rolling, as long as it isn't jerky. I often go without, in easy weather, but a lot of our sailing these days are double overnighters, taking advantage of weather patterns to move around, and usually the seas either are up or get up.

My moccasins got filled with sea water, in a manner of speaking. Pretty squishy walking there.

Ann

PS There may be a psychological component for some people. Other things affecting s/s include breathing diesel fumes, being hung over, taking birth control pills, being chilled, and being afraid. There may be others I haven't thought of, too. Across populations, there is a great deal of variability, and some of it is physiological. In my case, one eustachian tube is much smaller diameter than the other, and this, too, is involved in my idiosyncratic response. It goes away with diminishing sea states.
Old 29-02-2020, 16:25   #35

I normally get sea sick if i am not outside and looking ahead, in rough weather.
Twenty four hours, before heading off on a cruise in a 46’ Catamaran, i took a Meclizine pill. I followed up by taking one every day. I never felt drowsy and never got sea sick. I could even stay in the salon with my head down reading my iPad and not feel sick.
You can buy it in Canada from Amazon.ca.
My brother-in-law tried it on his travels and swears by it.
He would even get motion sick as a passenger in a car.
Catman
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 21:07   #36

Boat: Tayana 37 Pilot House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
hallucinations are not actually "prevalent" with the use of the patch.. it is simply a known side effect and that is all...

sound advice was given above to try the patch before heading offshore to determine your susceptibility to the side effects.

it is also safe to assume that pretty much everyone has tried dramamine.. its cheap, OTC and available worldwide..

yet it does not work for many, just like ginger, motion bands, the patch, or whatever does not work for everyone.

so with fear-mongering deleted, I will read your post as "take the remedy that gives you effectivity with the most manageable side effects"

Well Mystic, you should read my remarks again. And when you do, you might want to keep a dictionary handy, when you see the word "prevalence" which is a statistically relative term, as it depends upon the frequency with which something occurs. You misquoted me as using the term "prevalent", which of course implies a thing to be a very common occurrence. The actual incidence of central nervous system sensory aberrations such as hallucinations, confusion and disorientation with the scopolamine patch is often enough, and particularly so as one grows in years, as to discourage it's first line use in view of better alternative medications, unless a person has used it recently without untoward side effects. Your choice of the term "fear mongering" in your seemingly disturbed critique of my cautionary advice (that may serve to avert a great deal of human suffering), is I think, inaccurate to say the least.

I base my advice upon numerous peer reviewed journal articles on the subject and more than 40 years of helping my patients avoid problems as often as I possibly can. Sincere wishes for fair winds to you ~~_/)~~
Taipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 22:49   #37

Quote:
...avoid scopolamine due to the prevalence of hallucinations...
Quote:
Well Mystic, you should read my remarks again. And when you do, you might want to keep a dictionary handy, when you see the word "prevalence" which is a statistically relative term, as it depends upon the frequency with which something occurs. You misquoted me as using the term "prevalent", which of course implies a thing to be a very common occurrence. The actual incidence of central nervous system sensory aberrations such as hallucinations, confusion and disorientation with the scopolamine patch is often enough, and particularly so as one grows in years, as to discourage it's first line use in view of better alternative medications, unless a person has used it recently without untoward side effects. Your choice of the term "fear mongering" in your seemingly disturbed critique of my cautionary advice (that may serve to avert a great deal of human suffering), is I think, inaccurate to say the least.

I base my advice upon numerous peer reviewed journal articles on the subject and more than 40 years of helping my patients avoid problems as often as I possibly can. Sincere wishes for fair winds to you ~~_/)~~
Please consider reading this journal article that reviews the statistical concepts that you are attempting to teach.
I base this advice on more than 20 years helping clinicians understand basic terminology intrinsic to moment-to-moment decisions in their career so that they can better help their patients, or at least not confuse them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	risk.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	209789   Click image for larger version

Name:	preval.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	209790  

Click image for larger version

Name:	incidencerate.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	209791  
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 00:11   #38

Boat: seems it wasn't in the cards

Stugeron really keeps me from spilling my beans, but it turns me into a useless zombie, even when i'm taking a third or a fourth of the pill. it makes me feel utterly pathetic.

and since i always seem to have heightened reactions to any kind of med, i am not at all interested in trying the different meds out there.

does anyone know if HYPNOSIS has been known to work?

i doubt i'd find a hypnotist for seasickness where i am, but i'd sure be willing to give it a go.
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:40   #39

We use Bonine on our boat, it is Miclizine, work really well for us!
Aircool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:43   #40
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Wolfgal - try the Relief Band if nothing chemical helps you. it is not cheap, but well worth the cost not to be seasick. Use it and feel well, then try not using it for a while. You may find that your confidence will rise above the seasickness knowing that you can always put it back on your wrist.
Old 01-03-2020, 13:44   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The band helps my Wife, the electric one that you can’t replace the batteries in.
I believe it’s also a prescription item for cancer treatment sickness, but I may be wrong. Used to be one you could replace batteries in but I couldn’t find it, Dramamine works for her, but only because you don’t get sick when your unconscious.
Stugeron works for her and doesn't make her near as sleepy as either Dramamine, even the non sleepy kind.
You can’t buy Stugeron in the US, but we got ours on EBay, shipped from Cyprus.
Yeah, I know that’s not right, but what’s one to do?

Hypnosis or anything else may well work if you believe it will. Don’t underestimate the power of your mind, but then if you don’t think it will work, it most likely won’t.

So far as eating greasy foods, I was told before an aerobatic flight to eat bananas.
I asked if they helped keep you from getting sick. The answer was no, but they don’t taste so bad coming back up.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 14:30   #42

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@wolfgal:

Self hypnosis worked to some extent for me. I'd say yes, it could help you, if you're a good subject for hypnosis, and the psychologist who does it is competent. It will be more expensive than you'd like, unless you can work out some kind of quid pro quo with someone.

The relief bands do work for some people. I still felt crappy, so didn't work for me, but I have a friend who found hers quite helpful.

Ann
Old 01-03-2020, 16:04   #43

Boat: Tasman 26

I am a registered nurse and used to work in an operating theatre environment. While I don't get sea sick myself, I have some friends that do. While on a cruise ship that the staff described as the worst ever (stabilisers were unable to be deployed with huge seas), most of the guests didn't arrive for any meals. My wife and friends did initially get SS, but with the administration of oral 8mg ondansetron (Zofran)wafers, their symptoms were alleviated within 5 minutes, and with repeated 8 hourly dosing didn't return at all.
I don't know how much Zofran costs, nor availability outside of theatres, but it works a treat.
Perfusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 17:22   #44

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Motioneaze at Walmart has been my seasickness remedy and has helped all I have recommended it to. Less than $5 and is not taken internally. It is essential oils that are applied behind the ear. Works even after symptoms are present. Approved for children.

What do you have to lose? $5?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Motioneaz...ation/12346124
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 17:43   #45

The first thing to realize about seasickness is that everyone is different. You have to experiment until you find something that works for you. Often, more than one thing is needed at the same time.

I too find a low 15mg dose of Stugeron the best desensitizer without feeling awful all day. I take one when waking up. One when first hitting the swell. And then one every four hours. My wife takes 1/2 pills.

At the first "Oh, oh" feeling or even a yawn, I lie down perfectly flat for 10 minutes. When I get up, I'll feel fine for quite a while.

I always have Mi-Del Swedish Style ginger snap cookies available.

Another recommended cure I'm now experimenting with is to wear one standard foam ear plug in my left ear (I'm right handed).

Here's the best piece I've ever seen on seasickness:

Mahina Expeditions - Offshore Cruising Instruction: Seasickness
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote