Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2024, 12:43   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Seagrass fouling folding prop

We have pretty heavy kelp in San Diego which I am used getting on my rudders. However, on two occasions now I’ve inadvertently gotten it wrapped around my prop that then causes significant vibrations and makes me only be able to go at low RPMs. Backing down on it doesn’t help and still had significant vibrations. This happened to me last night on a longer trip and had a diver come down to give me some more insight as to what’s going on. Apparently, the fine seagrass is getting into parts of the folding prop which is causing it to get stuck and not fully unfolding. This still gives you some thrust but what is causing the vibrations and presuming why backing down on it doesn’t help. Are there any other solutions other than diving on it? It’s a flex-o-fold prop and is making me consider switching back to my fixed prop unless there’s a better option out there.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 18:49   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Seagrass fouling folding prop

How quickly does it accumulate to a level that actually impairs the opening and closing of the prop? To keep bottom growth at bay for racing we have a diver give us a wipedown every two weeks in season. You could set up a schedule to make sure your prop is good to go. It would likely be cheaper than hauling to reinstall a prop that will slow you down.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 00:32   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Re: Seagrass fouling folding prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
How quickly does it accumulate to a level that actually impairs the opening and closing of the prop? To keep bottom growth at bay for racing we have a diver give us a wipedown every two weeks in season. You could set up a schedule to make sure your prop is good to go. It would likely be cheaper than hauling to reinstall a prop that will slow you down.
I have a diver come every 3-4 weeks. This only happens when hitting it at sea. I try to avoid it but given the quantity it isn’t always possible. This last time I don’t even recall hitting any and tried to stay in 100’ or more of water to avoid. I believe I hit it when turning into the wind for a second to drop the main.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass