Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2011, 11:46   #1

Seattle, Oregon, or California ?

Hello everyone.

Im looking at sailing up the California, Oregon, and Seattle coast. Im just wondering which states coast is the most difficult. If you could tell me any info on it that would be great.

Thanks
coreyholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 12:11   #2

Boat: Ct 37
The whole west coast is a lee shore with a rocky coast line and some nasty bars to cross so it's all about the same difficulty It's all about weather planing It's a bueatiful coast worth seeing
Pato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 13:59   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 52.2, Merit 25
I'll provide a quote I pulled off of CF in the past that I found to be insightful:

"Getting "experience" in open ocean conditions is a double edged sword - first you are not born with such skills so only "on the job training" is available to get them. And then you have to be lucky or resourceful enough to survive your "experiences."

Wish I could give credit to the member it came from.

To answer your question, I would vote for N of SF with slight relief upon reaching the Northern Oregon coast. Any and all could turn nasty though.

My advice: go find out within the confines of proper preparation, safety, etc.
Swift Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 14:02   #4

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Re: Seattle, Oregon, or California?

Yup. North of San Francisco, it's all pretty much equally, uh, 'challenging', especially headed north. I've done it a few times (in powerboats) and I suspect that in my own boat I'd be scooting north during the windows of opportunity under power instead of sail, while trying to just 'get it over with'.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 15:25   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Seattle, Oregon, or California?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyholmes View Post
Hello everyone.

Im looking at sailing up the California, Oregon, and Seattle coast. Im just wondering which states coast is the most difficult. If you could tell me any info on it that would be great.

Thanks
DO you know how to read a pilot chart? The below is for the month of July. Basically from San Francisco to Portland you have strongish headwinds on average 66% of the time. To the North and South it is a bit more variable with a somewhat higher probability of favorable winds.

Our personal experience is that during the late summer you will have it worst off the Oregon Coast, as a Crush zone often sets up just about there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NPJuly.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	33829  
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 06:11   #6

Re: Seattle, Oregon, or California ?

You might be interested in reading this: Cruising the Northwest Coast - A book by George Benson Read the Narrative.

Doable.
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 06:48   #7

Boat: Haida 26

Danger area's north of SF are; Punta Gorda. Cape Mendoncino, Cape Blanco, and sometimes Cape Heceda just north of Florence, Or.. Punta Gorda & Cape Blanco being the most dangerous in the right conditions. I sailed all this past year. ..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 07:50   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Drift View Post
I'll provide a quote I pulled off of CF in the past that I found to be insightful:

"Getting "experience" in open ocean conditions is a double edged sword - first you are not born with such skills so only "on the job training" is available to get them. And then you have to be lucky or resourceful enough to survive your "experiences."

Wish I could give credit to the member it came from . ..
It was osirissail in post #12 at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...p-70768-7.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 08:46   #9

Boat: Haida 26

Also, I forgot to mention, Cape Dissapointment off the Columbia River. Advoid this area at all cost, the bar is the most dangerous on the west coast. A good day could have 30 knt wind and 9-10' wind waves and a heavy tidal current.
Then there's Cape Flattery..... Good luck and alway's check on weather.
..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 16:35   #10

Boat: Bristol 34
And watch closely if you try to put in at Newport, OR. Also has a bad bar near the entrance, not as bad as the one fuehrer north at Astoria, but approach with respect.

Don
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 17:49   #11

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

I want to echo what others said. The whole coast is a lee shore. The prevailing winds will probably be on the nose for a north bound passage. Most of the harbors in Oregon and Washington have wicked bars. Slack tide is usually the time to cross the bars. Keep an eye on the weather and tide charts.

Have fun

Brad
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 19:48   #12

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I certainly agree with what Ironhorse74 offers. After over 50 deliveries up and down from the PNW to SoCal and points south, anything from Pt Conception north to Juan de Fuca deserves much respect and a lot of sea room. Best way to approach it is get out 40-50 nautical miles and stay there until you reach your destination. Do a few day and overnighters straight out from San Francisco, Astoria or Cape Flattery to see if you enjoy that sort of thing... good luck, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 20:24   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Read George Benson's book. He did it a bunch of times in a Coronado 25. Not so fearsome if you do it in the summer close to shore with lots of anchorages in the prevailing NW winds. Good chance of southerly winds from January thru March but you have to be very cognizant of the Lows marching across the North Pacific.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 21:14   #14

Read the books and cruising guides, but dont forget to talk to the local fishermen every chance you get. They usually know even more little coves than you will find in the books and I have always found them helpful. Cold and fatigue are your biggest enemies on an upwind slog, so anytime you can tuck into a cove for a hot meal and good sleep will make your trip better. Carry big ground tackle and anchor far enough off shore so that if the wind shifts you can get under way without your stern being in the surf line. Have a good time.___Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, oregon, seattle