Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2020, 17:18   #1

Securing a mooring / berth around Boston

Hi all,

I'm starting to look at a few boats in my neck of the woods, but given how popular boating is around Boston I was curious about how I should sequence finding a boat / finding a place for the boat? I guess my concern is that I'll find a boat, like it, buy it, and then be unable to find anywhere nearby (~30 minute drive?) to keep it once the weather gets nice.

Is this a silly concern? How did you all handle it?

Thanks!
lonecapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 17:29   #2

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Securing a mooring / berth around Boston

30 minutes from where? North Shore? South Shore? Western Suburbs?
I’m 19 miles north of Boston Harbor and 45 minutes away.
But a 5 minute walk from a launch to my boat.
And no it’s not silly at all. It’s a big part of boat ownership. Logistics. Winter boatyard? Haul or leave in or head south? Slip or mooring? What location? Price? Waiting list?
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 19:26   #3

Boat: Pearson 35
Re: Securing a mooring / berth around Boston

Very legitimate concerns, and second the questions/observations from dfelsent. I have a mooring at Winter Island in Salem, MA. I have parking and dinghy storage there during the season and have the boat hauled and blocked there for the winter. My first boat was a trailer sailor, so launched/hauled at the ramp but stored it on the trailer well inland. Lots of variables, so don’t hesitate to PM if you want to continue the conversation.
gstepler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 07:11   #4

Boat: 1969 Frers custom, 39.5ft Sloop

I would second what Dfeltsent and Gstepler already said. It's definitely a wise idea to consider boat storage and mooring before purchasing - the boat itself can often be the inexpensive part. Where are you considering in the Boston area? How large of a boat are you considering? 30 minutes won't get you far in Boston area traffic !

I grew up sailing out of Nahant on the North Shore, where my folks live and kept their boat. Great spot, horrible harbor in anything but a NW blow. My boat is still there while I rebuild her deck and complete a much-needed facelift, though I live in metro west area, an hour away on a good day.

If you can give yourself a 45-60 minute "commute" time, your options may open up quite a bit.
-Eric
SVQuestOfPaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 15:38   #5

Thanks for the replies! I apologize I wasn't clear on "30 minutes," honestly being cooped up in my apartment is getting to me

I currently live in Somerville, but with my lease being up in the spring and my newfound job location flexibility, I can theoretical go where I'd like. What I *should* have said is that I'd love to find something 30-45 minutes from the Somerville area. Realizing that's probably a pipe dream, I'd expand the question to ask about the North Shore area in general -- how tough is it to find a mooring and/or slip?

Thanks again, you all are very helpful
Old 13-11-2020, 19:26   #6

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

On the North Shore where I live it’s far and away moorings over slips.
The moorings are permitted by the town or city harbormasters. There are a few marinas with slips in Salem and Beverly. Very few in Gloucester and zero in Marblehead. Geography and existing development primarily drives this.
Rockport , Essex, Ipswich are all very limited in terms of deep water or availability as far as I know. Newburyport has that Merrimack River bar to cross.
I hesitate to list specific marinas because I will forget some.

I can speak to Marblehead Harbor and the Marblehead side of Salem Harbor. Marblehead Harbor has a 12-20 year wait list. The Marblehead side of Salem Harbor is about a year wait. Launch service from the West Shore to your boat is about $700 a year. You can rent or buy mooring gear. The permit from the town is the least expensive bit.

With a little planning you can do it for sure.
Pm me if you want.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 10:26   #7

Winthrop seems to be accessible and available. Keeping a boat is expensive, no matter which way you slice it; figure 4-6k as a "minimum" for mooring, taxes and winter storage. You have not fixed anything yet...

I'm in the same "boat" as you - i.e. I want a boat! I am a member of the Boston Sailing Center, which is a reasonably affordable alternate.

A possible alternative for you is to live-aboard. Depends on your needs for space and creature comforts, of course. I forget the name of the marina on the north end, but for something like 10k you have a slip and access to showers. (You mentioned your lease is coming up. 10k is peanuts in the Boston rental market!)
PopeyeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 14:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopeyeMike View Post
Winthrop seems to be accessible and available. Keeping a boat is expensive, no matter which way you slice it; figure 4-6k as a "minimum" for mooring, taxes and winter storage. You have not fixed anything yet...

I'm in the same "boat" as you - i.e. I want a boat! I am a member of the Boston Sailing Center, which is a reasonably affordable alternate.

A possible alternative for you is to live-aboard. Depends on your needs for space and creature comforts, of course. I forget the name of the marina on the north end, but for something like 10k you have a slip and access to showers. (You mentioned your lease is coming up. 10k is peanuts in the Boston rental market!)
All great suggestions. I belong to Boston Harbor Sailing Club which has been great for the last ~5 years, but my dilemma is that I'm getting bored just cruising around the harbor.

I'm looking for a wednesday night boat to join so I can race, but I also want to start taking longer trips (like weekends) and start to learn more about maintaining a boat, etc. I also really want to try some solo trips which BHSC definitely won't let me do.

Tags
mooring