Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2017, 05:37   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Security door

This has been discussed before but worth discussing again.

Markj once pointed out we lock the doors of houses when sleeping at night so why not don't we do it on the boat ?

I'm a $1000 bucks poorer than the I was yesterday.

While we slept last night in a spectacular anchorage here in the Seychelles we were boarded by a theif, and my phone was stolen and $700. Neither of us heard a thing.

This is a beautiful place, and friendly people and many charter boats, no aggression like I have felt in the the carribean.

I actually know better, but have meant to get a new screen made for my new to me boat but haven't got around to it. I meant to leave the bright cockpit light on at night but didn't.

This is the second second time in eight years of cruising.

For those that are just starting out I suggest getting a security hatch made for your companion way. Better safe than sorry.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 05:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Security door

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
This has been discussed before but worth discussing again.

Markj once pointed out we lock the doors of houses when sleeping at night so why not don't we do it on the boat ?

I'm a $1000 bucks poorer than the I was yesterday.

While we slept last night in a spectacular anchorage here in the Seychelles we were boarded by a theif, and my phone was stolen and $700. Neither of us heard a thing.

This is a beautiful place, and friendly people and many charter boats, no aggression like I have felt in the the carribean.

I actually know better, but have meant to get a new screen made for my new to me boat but haven't got around to it. I meant to leave the bright cockpit light on at night but didn't.

This is the second second time in eight years of cruising.

For those that are just starting out I suggest getting a security hatch made for your companion way. Better safe than sorry.
Well Im sorry for the theft. Burns me up when it happens.
I have always a place for cash on my boat. Its hidden and difficult to spot and even more difficult to open. Losing cash in remote places is more than inconvenient, its a major hassle.

On the Westerly, I have a pressure sensor mat. It will wake the entire harbour and the county of East Sussex if the siren goes off. Unless you know where to step, there is no way to enter the cabin unless you jump 5 feet. I leave the hatch a little open for air flow.

You are completely correct though, more attention to security must be given in this day and age...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 06:16   #3

Boat: Camano Troll

Most boats aren't designed for security and can't be made "secure" easily. I have a trawler and I can close and lock the door. The lock is better than the one on my home and the door is metal with laminated safety glass.

However, the electronics on the flybridge cannot be secured and anyone could just pop them out of their mountings and walk away with them.

You mention a screen. A knife will cut a screen easily or a good kick would pop it out. You'll need some sort of bar or bars placed so a human cannot get between them.
Old 16-09-2017, 06:31   #4

Boat: Lagoon 410

A few of these or similar ones in strategic locations may help.

Streetwise Panic Alarm w/ Door Strap & LED Light 130dB | The Home Security Superstore
InTheDish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 07:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Most boats aren't designed for security and can't be made "secure" easily. I have a trawler and I can close and lock the door. The lock is better than the one on my home and the door is metal with laminated safety glass.

However, the electronics on the flybridge cannot be secured and anyone could just pop them out of their mountings and walk away with them.

You mention a screen. A knife will cut a screen easily or a good kick would pop it out. You'll need some sort of bar or bars placed so a human cannot get between them.
When I say screen I ss bars. In my experience is that the mostly petty theft by young people, violent crime isn't a big issue.

At 5°south you can need air in the night, and that has to be be taken into the office equation.
Old 16-09-2017, 07:01   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

You can make a security drop board by taking a hole saw & making a piece of lexan or acrylic look like a piece of swiss cheese. That way you still get light & ventillation with the board in. Then simply add a couple of barrel bolts to the underside of your companionway slider. And if needed you can add a piece of bug mesh/screen to the drop in board.

Note that lexan, & sometimes acrylic, needs a few stiffeners. As the stuff is quite tough, but also pretty flexible. But that's easy enough to remedy.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 07:07   #7

Quote:
When I say screen I ss bars. In my experience is that the mostly petty theft by young people, violent crime isn't a big issue.

At 5°south you can need air in the night, and that has to be be taken into the office equation.
Thanks uncivilised, and I thought of that, I may go that way. Depends what I can get here.

I'm going to look into some sort of security on the phone hatches also, I they need to be open for ventilation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
You can make a security drop board by taking a hole saw & making a piece of lexan or acrylic look like a piece of swiss cheese. That way you still get light & ventillation with the board in. Then simply add a couple of barrel bolts to the underside of your companionway slider. And if needed you can add a piece of bug mesh/screen to the drop in board.

Note that lexan, & sometimes acrylic, needs a few stiffeners. As the stuff is quite tough, but also pretty flexible. But that's easy enough to remedy.
Old 16-09-2017, 07:24   #8

Boat: Lagoon 410

This?

https://www.metroscreenworks.com/security-screens/
InTheDish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 09:02   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Thanks uncivilised, and I thought of that, I may go that way. Depends what I can get here.

I'm going to look into some sort of security on the phone hatches also, I they need to be open for ventilation.
"Phone hatches"? That's one I've never heard before. Care to clarify.
Obviously you can even use a sheet of plywood in lieu of lexan. Just ease/bullnose the radii of the holes, & then paint it. And most other sheet materials work too. You can even lay up some FRP sheet with metal inserts for hardware, or bars in the appropriate places, & then use the hole saw on it, similarly. Leave it clear translucent, tint the resin, or paint it. Up to you.

Some folks even have custom, welded stainless grills. With & without padlock attachments. Though most of them simply drop in place instead of washboards. But aluminum, or even painted mild steel works as well. The latter being easy to come by, & have custom welded to size.

Were I to go the metal route, I'd find an artisan, & have something pretty put together. For example
https://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/i...tjpg/?browse=1
global metal art balustrade - Bing images
https://www.railingart.com/wp-conten...-art-metal.jpg
https://www.railingart.com/featured-...anels-cottage/
Metal Laser-Cut Railing Panels - Bing images
That way it doesn't so much resemble a jail cell lockup. And if the work is done in stainless, you can have them differentially heat different parts of it so that you get some of the beautiful straw color hues to form in the metal. Stainless is quite pretty that way.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 10:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
"Phone hatches"? That's one I've never heard before. Care to clarify.
Obviously you can even use a sheet of plywood in lieu of lexan. Just ease/bullnose the radii of the holes, & then paint it. And most other sheet materials work too. You can even lay up some FRP sheet with metal inserts for hardware, or bars in the appropriate places, & then use the hole saw on it, similarly. Leave it clear translucent, tint the resin, or paint it. Up to you.

Some folks even have custom, welded stainless grills. With & without padlock attachments. Though most of them simply drop in place instead of washboards. But aluminum, or even painted mild steel works as well. The latter being easy to come by, & have custom welded to size.

Were I to go the metal route, I'd find an artisan, & have something pretty put together. For example
https://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/i...tjpg/?browse=1
global metal art balustrade - Bing images
https://www.railingart.com/wp-conten...-art-metal.jpg
https://www.railingart.com/featured-...anels-cottage/
Metal Laser-Cut Railing Panels - Bing images
That way it doesn't so much resemble a jail cell lockup. And if the work is done in stainless, you can have them differentially heat different parts of it so that you get some of the beautiful straw color hues to form in the metal. Stainless is quite pretty that way.
"phone hatches" ignore, it's the screwed up predictive text the phone uses. It adds words, changes words and generally makes me look like a fool.... I sent the word "gonorrhea" to my mum accidently in a text!!!!
Old 16-09-2017, 13:33   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dale, here's a link to the companionway security screen Mark J had made:http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...way-28238.html

I think the concept could also be used for hatches by adding a catch and hinges, so it will flop down so you can get at the handles. Shouldn't be too hard to source something appropriate locally in the Seychelles. Will be pricey.

Ann
Old 18-09-2017, 07:06   #12

Or just sprinkle some tacks on deck like Captain Joshua Slocum did.
Old 22-11-2017, 03:42   #13

Hi, just following up on the security hatch bar thing. I didn't want bars to look ugly, also wanted the hatches to stay user friendly.
Ive just added some ss tubing to the hatches. I think it's come up quite neat. Had the tubing on the boat, purchased ss stanchion holders for the $16 each and big self tapers. Perfect fit on Lewmar hatch trims.
It's actually alot stronger than I expected. It's more a deterrent than anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171122_152348.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	159514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171122_152253.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	159515  

Old 22-11-2017, 04:41   #14

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Hi, just following up on the security hatch bar thing. I didn't want bars to look ugly, also wanted the hatches to stay user friendly.
Ive just added some ss tubing to the hatches. I think it's come up quite neat. Had the tubing on the boat, purchased ss stanchion holders for the $16 each and big self tapers. Perfect fit on Lewmar hatch trims.
It's actually alot stronger than I expected. It's more a deterrent than anything.

Are your hatches not your secondary egress point? Say your engine, or some other flammable took off in the aft third of the boat. Can you exit the v-berth now through the hatch?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 04:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Are your hatches not your secondary egress point? Say your engine, or some other flammable took off in the aft third of the boat. Can you exit the v-berth now through the hatch?
A very important point!

While you are securing the bad-guys out, be sure that you don't secure yourself in, in case of an emergency.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security