Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2016, 12:55   #76
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Security Issues - Numbers don't add up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCantor View Post
After spending time on 25+ islands in the Caribbean, we've never been anywhere where we were concerned about security. You should have some basic common sense (lock your dinghy, don't leave valuables on deck at night, lock the boat when you're away), but that applies in any anchorage in the world.

People who are unpleasant or disparaging toward locals run higher risks. Those who treat people with respect have lower risks.

I am certain that many "stolen" dinghys have more to do with happy-hour owners who get confused about running the rabbit around the tree before jumping in the hole.
I have to completely disagree. I'm starting my 5th season in the Med and have become complacent. I haven't locked my dingy in 4 years, my doors at anchor in 3 years, and now only seldom even on a village quay. Last week I got wrapped up with some locals partying on the quay and forgot my tablet on the cockpit table. It was on and the screen lit up all night and still there in the morning. Not only us, but everyone is very save cruising the European waters of the Med. Tunisia is reportedly very safe also, but beyond that I don't know about the southern regions.

Really, where isn't it safe except the Caribbean, Northern Central America, and maybe Central America and Mexico. USA, Canada, South Pacific, etc are very safe.

Tags
security