Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2024, 05:15   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Seeking AP Control Head Suggestions

I am looking for a Auto Pilot control head that will provide a 12VDC output to my steering motor.

The steering motor is the drive part of a CPT auto pilot and it is perfectly strong enough to steer the boat. But I have a variety of problems with the CPT control head.
Magnetic deviation in a steel boat
Control head placement
Propwalk under power

I thought I had a solution in the PyPilot gizmo. But that had a few issues I could not over come. Not the least f which is it is incapable of driving the boat with prop walk. The Developers design criteria is the boat needs to be perfectly balanced, and since it is a sailboat you should always sail. There are additional issues.

Being a steel boat I need something that will take a GPS heading. It needs to be able to compensate for prop walk. And the output should be at least 2 amps drive current. It should be a stand alone unit, not tied to a Chart Potter. It needs NO course following, just point and go, I will make course corrections.

And of course I beed to be able to mountbit so I can use it without leaving the cockpit.

I know there are a number of folks developing audrino AP’s and the like but have no good knowledge of them being used. Any options come to mind?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head