Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 02:18   #16

Re: Segway Scooters Anyone?

I've owned two of the electric unicycles - the Solowheel and a Ninebot One - and use these very occasionally from my boat docked in St Pete. They are fun to ride and give you quite a bit of range and speed vs. walking. They weigh around 25# and are compact so not too difficult to handle and store. They are a little more difficult to ride than a 2-wheeler but most people seem to get it in under 1 hour.

Not so easy to carry much more than 10# though for more than short distances.

Other things to consider. They require 110V to charge. Electronics NOT built for marine environment (I have seen the insides of both - they will not last too long without special care!). Work best on smooth pavement.

I love them for sightseeing, quick hops to nearby stores and nearby restaurants. A little challenging to ride after a couple glasses of wine though...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
TampaBaySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 02:44   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBaySailor View Post
I've owned two of the electric unicycles - the Solowheel and a Ninebot One - and use these very occasionally from my boat docked in St Pete. They are fun to ride and give you quite a bit of range and speed vs. walking. They weigh around 25# and are compact so not too difficult to handle and store. They are a little more difficult to ride than a 2-wheeler but most people seem to get it in under 1 hour.
LOL.. I would not recommend except for the most agile and non drinkers
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 04:02   #18

Boat: Valiant 42

Get the Über or Lyft app.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 04:22   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The Segway at 105lbs each are definitely a no go. How in the world would you get those things on and off the boat in a dinghy or down a companionway? Leaving them on deck the salt water would certainly destroy them in a season or two.

On our boat, the 23lb Brompton folding bikes take up all the room in our 12ft aluminum dinghy and are near our limit on what we can hoist on an off the boat and down the companionway without injuries.

Very cool... How far to you go with these bikes? We usually walk or take a taxi...
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 05:46   #20

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Get the Über or Lyft app.
Ah... Won't do much good on Cayo Costa or many of the other places we stop.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 06:16   #21

I think in the coming months and years you will be surprised how many out of the way places these ride share services can be found. It only takes a mobile phone and a vehicle to start the service. And it costs nothing to get the apps so why not have them?

And in truly out of the way places I have found the locals have good "public" transport systems if you ask how it works. Nearly every island in the Caribe has "jitney" or other bus service.
Old 17-12-2016, 13:53   #22

Boat: Luffe 45

I use a Ninebot all the time ... very satisfied ✌️️compact and a range of approx 30 km... a bit difficult to learn ....
lifgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 14:11   #23
tms

Boat: 40' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey

I used to take a GoPed to work when I was younger. They make them for the road and offroad. Pretty easy to start and work. They fold in half and only weigh about 20 pounds. Fun, light, and fast.

tms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 15:03   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We have just gotten two URB-E's and while we have not gotten any serious miles on them yet, they appear to be about the best solution I have found. I have cobbled up a trailer that seems to work well also, it's a luggage carrier that fold completely flat, I just replaced the cheap plastic wheels with ball bearing inline skate wheels and will use a milk crate on it as I use milk crates to hold stuff in the Lazarette now.
The URB-E's fold up as small as a Goped or other scooter but have a basket, can pull a trailer and are electric, and give you something to sit on.
http://www.urb-e.com
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 15:16   #25
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I think the social aspect of hiring local transport or kids to help bring the groceries back to the boat, is a far better investment in the cruising life than trying to be independent on land.

Water toys are a different thing.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 16:41   #26

+1

If there are groceries ashore there is almost always readily available local transport. Especially so in tropical settings.
Old 17-12-2016, 17:22   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Maybe so in other countries, but not in the US, taxi fares were I think $25 each way in Clearwater. We will start out in the ICW I think until the Wife feels our youngest is doing OK in school
Old 17-12-2016, 18:41   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Good point a64,

In tropical foreign countries, transport is much cheaper and I would worry about the security of my own transport.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 04:58   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Segway Scooters Anyone?

Security wise, the URB-E goes with you, it folds up and becomes a shopping cart, with a smaller basket than a real cart of course.
However it is a pure pavement machine, the little wheels will not handle anything but good pavement I don't think, so forget bad roads covered in sand etc.
There is no perfect solution, maybe if your going to be in the area for quite awhile, buying a cheap or used bike, leaving it on land and donating it to someone else when you leave would be best as a decent bike can handle rough ground, or load it down and push the bike, let it carry the weight if you have a lot to carry.
In the US my plan is to rent a car and drive it to a Military Commissary as I'm retired and really stock up once in a great while, all the bulky and or heavy stuff that will last awhile

Have to be flexible I think
Old 18-12-2016, 05:08   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Very cool... How far to you go with these bikes? We usually walk or take a taxi...
Sometimes we spend all day touring a city with the bikes. I've gone 40 miles, but mostly we search out supermarkets and use the bikes to broaden our range.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote