Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2016, 09:37   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Segway Scooters Anyone?

Just wondering if anyone has carried a Segway Scooter aboard. One of the issues we face when traveling is how to get around conveniently when at a stop. Folding bikes didn't do it and were a pain in the neck to store easily. Recently we did a "Segway Tour" in St. Pete and found that after a few minutes of so, we reasonably quickly adapted to using the machines and were able to cover a fair amount of territory in short order. I have since been looking at the Segway SE Transporter which breaks down for transit and/or storage and it seems like a couple might be good for the yacht, giving us a 24 mile range which would be more than enough for our needs. Just wondering if anyone has tried these devices.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 09:48   #2

Boat: Balboa 27
Re: Segway Scooters Anyone?

I haven't tried one, but it looks like a one s1 would be a lot easier to store on a boat and maneuver in and out of a dinghy.
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 09:52   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Just wondering if anyone has carried a Segway Scooter aboard. One of the issues we face when traveling is how to get around conveniently when at a stop. Folding bikes didn't do it and were a pain in the neck to store easily. Recently we did a "Segway Tour" in St. Pete and found that after a few minutes of so, we reasonably quickly adapted to using the machines and were able to cover a fair amount of territory in short order. I have since been looking at the Segway SE Transporter which breaks down for transit and/or storage and it seems like a couple might be good for the yacht, giving us a 24 mile range which would be more than enough for our needs. Just wondering if anyone has tried these devices.

FWIW...
I have electric bikes and electric scooters. Segway is not the way to go.
Segway is too heavy and limits you to a backpack. Google electric scooters and see what suits.. (I have carried 30 kilos of shopping in a bag on the base)
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 10:05   #4

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Maybe these scooters will help

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2267404
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 12:31   #5

That Segway in your link weighs more than 100 lbs. I don't know about you, but there is NO WAY that I would want to be trying to wrestle one of those into and out of a dinghy! (Never mind that I would actually need two; one for me and one for my wife.)
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 14:10   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
That Segway in your link weighs more than 100 lbs. I don't know about you, but there is NO WAY that I would want to be trying to wrestle one of those into and out of a dinghy! (Never mind that I would actually need two; one for me and one for my wife.)
Actually Don, you're correct. Moreover, the units in Weavis's and Cotemar's links would make much more sense so long as we don't need to traverse any rough terrain/sand which the Segway's we rented did quite easily. Ah well, just a thought. Idle hands/minds eh?.....
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 14:20   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Surely the segway is just used for getting around the decks on some of the catamarans on here
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 14:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Surely the segway is just used for getting around the decks on some of the catamarans on here
...and then only to pull up their CQRs.

Actually Segways are very neat, but in addition to their weight, recharging could be a BIG issue.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 15:05   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Segway, electric bike, hoverboard...all have pros and cons but depending on where you plan to go, all may be illegal on the road or the sidewalk. Just something to beware of. But damn, the electric unicycles sure look boat-portable!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 15:37   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Actually Segways are very neat, but in addition to their weight, recharging could be a BIG issue.
And then there's the fact that anyone riding on one looks like a total prat.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 15:59   #11

Boat: Simonis 50

For what it's worth, we have 2 x Puzey two-wheeler EVO 50X powerboards on our yacht. Extremely useful and fun - but awkward to stow. You can read about it here: Puzey’s two-wheeler EVO 50X powerboard - Revelations

svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 18:27   #12

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Stowage is certainly a problem. When I sailed across the caribbean, I carried skates to start out, they were easy to stow, but when I went to the West Marine in eastern Puerto Rico I was so beat that I bought a Bike. This was good until the bike was stolen in the states.

I had a 32 foot Ericson so finding space for any thing larger than that down below was difficult.

These electric things with their lithium batteries which have been known to catch fire spontaneously, I'd be wary of.
Old 28-11-2016, 19:36   #13
cruiser

The Segway at 105lbs each are definitely a no go. How in the world would you get those things on and off the boat in a dinghy or down a companionway? Leaving them on deck the salt water would certainly destroy them in a season or two.

On our boat, the 23lb Brompton folding bikes take up all the room in our 12ft aluminum dinghy and are near our limit on what we can hoist on an off the boat and down the companionway without injuries.

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 20:54   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On a serious note, if you just want transport then any of the smaller lightweight scooters will do (rider weight limits apply for distance), but if you are looking for shopping/weight carrying then its a different ball game.

ITs all a compromise on a vessel. Salt water corrosion, storage, weight etc.

There are many sturdy small scooters avaialable on the market, but would not want to overload them too much. YOu would have to check with the countries visited as to whether they permit electric scooters and if so what is the electric motor size they permit... A bicycle without motor does not have that issue.

Its a difficult choice to make. If I was to get transportation on land for the boat, it would be a cheap fold up non powered bike....and be prepared to throw it away and replace every 2-3 years as it rotted around me...
Old 29-11-2016, 00:53   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Solved your problem!

Just a change of vessel required.