Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2021, 13:08   #46

Boat: 1973 Whitby 42 Ketch
Re: Seller replaced ice chest w dorm fridge - should it bug me soo much?

65 Watts at 120 Volts. I am using cheap 3.1 dorm fridges and a 2.2 120V Dorm freezer. 140 watts with both running at 120 Volts
uptickguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 13:26   #47

Boat: kelt 8.5

If you are running 110 then it does not matter but you may want to add a converter to use if you are away from power then it will matter
realem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 13:27   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Get an Engel 12v/110v portable

Engel MT45F-U1-P platinum series 12V/24V/120V top-opening portable AC/DC Fridge/Freezer, Nice but expensive, $1100.00
GL-WindPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 13:32   #49

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Get an Engel 12v/110v portable
+1 on above comment. set it and forget it
Rubicon King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 14:53   #50

The Engel are expensive but very efficient. I had two one portable and one drop in that I built the galley around. Worked great very efficient, low power use, then it died. The down side is they are not that repairable. If I was and A/C guy maybe I could have re-plumbed a new compressor but I am not. So I tore it out and that is when I install the Igloo cooler and added a Danfoss compressor to refrigerate the cooler. All was done for about $700.00 maybe a little less, The unit is in the galley next to the sink, the compressor is under the sink and under a shelf and vented on two sides. If needed I have a switch for a pancake fan should the area get to hot. I have needed the fan yet even on the hottest days. I did add a little and I do mean little fan above the evaporator to circulate air in the fridge if needed but so far did not need that either. The fridge and food are nice and cold so is the beer. It is very quiet and draws about 2.5 amps. I did have to find the sweet spot when I added the R134 that took a little adjusting so as not to add to much or to little.
Old 05-03-2021, 16:15   #51

Boat: CAL-2 30'

My 40 qt Engel is very efficient, maintains a constant temp and was $850. It automatically switches to battery power when shore-power is disconnected. My 16 qt Alpicool is used as a freezer (cocktail ice) and is also pretty efficient considering it was only $200. It is basically 12v but comes with a 110v converter which must be switched for the 12v cord when leaving the slip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0456.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	233916   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1486.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	233917  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1487.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	233918  
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 17:53   #52

I also have the Engel 40qt and use it as the freezer or fridge overflow. I have not needed it since I increased the size of the main fridge. Really good tip on the Alpicool was looking for something to possibly make Ice for drinks. One cannot live on bread alone.
Old 06-03-2021, 02:00   #53

Boat: Presto 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Anything beats ice. Unless you never go more than an afternoon or very occasional weekend an ice box is just a huge pain.

However, not all dorm fridges are created equal. One of the forum members has one on a liveaboard running off an inverter and finds it pretty efficient and a fraction of the cost of a marine fridge conversion.

If it's in the budget a conversion is the way to go but even for a small box figure at least $700-$800 just for the the kit. Insulating or upgrading the box extra.
Are you speaking about the ice box installed by Pearson? My Presto, built by a small yard in Florida has an ice box with 4 inches of insulation on all 6 sides, and using block ice(frozen 1 gal. milk jugs), it will keep cold in hot weather here in GA. for at least 5 to 7 days.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:57   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
Are you speaking about the ice box installed by Pearson? My Presto, built by a small yard in Florida has an ice box with 4 inches of insulation on all 6 sides, and using block ice(frozen 1 gal. milk jugs), it will keep cold in hot weather here in GA. for at least 5 to 7 days.
When I bought my Pearson (used) it had an ancient Adler Barbour Cold machine installed that almost, barely worked, mainly because the box had almost no insulation. If I had used ice it in I doubt it would have lasted more than a couple of days at best. Now I have 4-6" and a new system and it's great.

Even with your better insulated box, ice in my opinion is still a pain if you plan to spend more than a few days onboard. If you took a two month cruise to the Bahamas where would you refreeze your milk jugs? If you have to resort to buying ice it's a pain to haul, block ice often unavailable, bag ice lasts a fraction of the time and you have to keep your food in watertight containers or end up with soggy food sitting in slimy water in the bottom of the ice box.

Been there, done that, don't want to go back. The fridge is one of my favorite upgrades on the boat. It wasn't cheap and rebuilding/reinsulating the box was a huge job but worth it all.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:04   #55

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Does anyone have an off the shelf, larger than dorm fridge to recommend that’s somewhat energy efficient?

Need about 5-6 cubic feet and all refrigerator with no freezer. haven’t seen anything of this size.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:30   #56

Why don't you know, you know, as the seller or their agent about it?
sea2ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:31   #57

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Blocks of ice are hard to find off shore. For that matter on shore. It was good when every fuel dock had a pair of tongues and block ice. Those are days of yore. The reefer sounds better as long as there is sufficient battery and charging. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:45   #58

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2ocean View Post
Why don't you know, you know, as the seller or their agent about it?
Why didn't you look at some of the member's other posts?

He is involved in building his own catamaran, an owner/builder. He's asking for input about something he doesn't know. It's what CF is for.

Ann
Old 06-03-2021, 12:53   #59

Boat: Voyage 430

We've been using a 3.1cuft Edgestar brand dorm fridge full time for 2 years. Runs off 120v. The freezer is awesome. Freezes stuff hard. It isn't as big as we would like but for 200 bucks vs the 1000s to repair the reefer or the 800+ dollars for a 12v unit (like the Engel), it has been well worth it. It is relatively energy efficient, pulling roughly 4 amps @12v while running through a Victron inverter. I haven't gotten precise with it, but I think it might pull roughly 50amps a day.
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote