Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2017, 22:25   #1

Boat: In Between Boats
SHAME SHAME SHAME

This thread is to post pictures/video of rude and or dangerous boaters you encounter and manage to catch on camera!
Old 09-01-2017, 23:22   #2

Boat: Sandibar 35
Re: SHAME SHAME SHAME

Wow, what a positive thread and especially the heading. Rudeness is subjective and beginners for example often make mistakes that may be interpreted as rude by uptight people. They may even lead to dangerous situations unintentionally. I would not like to have my mistakes publicly dissected on any forum, when the stated purpose is SHAME SHAME SHAME instead of help and advice.
And yes, like everyone, I've come across some stupendously rude people as well as some who were creating dangerous situations on the water. I assume that the persons involved and even some forum members may assess the situation differently than I do. In that case a discussion would probably be beneficial for all and maybe lift the standard on the water. Public shaming not so much, IMHO.
Old 09-01-2017, 23:46   #3

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearts Content View Post
This thread is to post pictures/video of rude and or dangerous boaters you encounter and manage to catch on camera!
Seems you are stuck in the Dark Ages. It may be news to you but the cucking-stool was not used since 1809.

On the other hand, I hope someone with a camera is around when you do something stupid and shames you in a public forum. Don't forget we all do very stupid things sometimes, it's called being human.
Old 09-01-2017, 23:46   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

My opinion is that public shaming via the internet is something to avoid. Not only, as it is suggested above, that some poor newbie may get totally turned off, but because it will lead to shunning, and publicly denigrating others, whether or not it is libel, is pretty darn distasteful.

Ann
Old 09-01-2017, 23:47   #5

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandibar View Post
Wow, what a positive thread and especially the heading. Rudeness is subjective and beginners for example often make mistakes that may be interpreted as rude by uptight people. They may even lead to dangerous situations unintentionally. I would not like to have my mistakes publicly dissected on any forum, when the stated purpose is SHAME SHAME SHAME instead of help and advice.
And yes, like everyone, I've come across some stupendously rude people as well as some who were creating dangerous situations on the water. I assume that the persons involved and even some forum members may assess the situation differently than I do. In that case a discussion would probably be beneficial for all and maybe lift the standard on the water. Public shaming not so much, IMHO.
Old 09-01-2017, 23:48   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Great idea! Make sure that you clearly identify the skipper and boat. Preferably with their home address and any other details you can drag up.

That way we can send mobs to harass them in person as well as remotely over the internet.

Let's drag them out into the street and put them into stocks.

Heck, no - that's too nice! Let's hang them from the lamp posts!

Yep, nothing like a good public hanging shaming
Old 09-01-2017, 23:57   #7

Boat: Amel 54

Is it based on a belief that it would change their behavior or is the purpose just to gloat at what many times are mistakes many of us have done at one time or another? Or is the purpose to give examples of what not to do? If it's the latter and not the former (hope I got that one right) and it's done without revealing the identity of those involved I guess it could be somewhat educational. But If not I wouldn't be on board with it.
Old 10-01-2017, 00:40   #8

Boat: Beneteau 473

OP's presentation is not so hot but the idea has some merit. We detected a mega yacht on AIS tracking to collide with us making 15 knots and five nm out. We hailed several times without response. We had to take evasive maneuvers. As it went by we could see no one at the helm and a couple of people sipping drinks on the top deck. They shot us friendly waves as they blew past us. Completely oblivious. This story may or may not be shocking, but I promise you, a video would have floored you!
Old 10-01-2017, 01:04   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Not perhaps the bet way to be nice on the Cf.

Closing for mod discussion.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:04   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
. . . It may be news to you but the cucking-stool was not used since 1809.

. . . Don't forget we all do very stupid things sometimes, it's called being human.
Closed Thread