Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2021, 08:50   #1

Boat: Alberg 30
Send a message via AIM to Harry Black
Sheet to tiller

I am going to try I am both main sheet to tiller steering and headsail to tiller steering. I have an Alberg 30. Does anybody have any suggestions as to which method is better
Harry Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 09:37   #2

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: Sheet to tiller steering

https://jesterchallenge.files.wordpr...r-jr-small.pdf

Pretty much the gold standard, available in pdf for free.
He looks at things from an aeronautical engineers viewpoint, (positive damping vs negative feedback).
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 09:39   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Sheet to tiller

Extract on sheet to tiller self-steering, from Gerard Dijkstra’s book, “Self steering for Yachts”.
https://jesterchallenge.files.wordpr...-to-tiller.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 09:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Black View Post
I want to try sheet to tiller steering and head sail to tiller steering. Does anyone know from experience which one is a better method?

There is no "better." There is a CHOICE.

Much depends on your boat and how it's rigged.

On my Catalina 25 (from 1987 to 98), I used the mainsheet. Why? Because it was a tiller steered boat with end boom sheeting, and the lines were all right there. It worked excellently going upwind and to a close reach, but once off the wind not so much. I used to be able to tack up the Cityfront on SF Bay!

Letcher's book covers all the methods. You have to try them out to see what works for you on your boat.

Good luck, it is so much fun!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 09:51   #5

Harry, why start two of the same threads? Not helpful. I answered on the other one.
Old 27-02-2021, 10:03   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
https://jesterchallenge.files.wordpr...r-jr-small.pdf

Pretty much the gold standard, available in pdf for free.

He looks at things from an aeronautical engineers viewpoint, (positive damping vs negative feedback).

Nope, the Gold Standard is “Self-steering Without a Windvane: A Comprehensive Manual of Natural and Sheet-to-tiller Steering Systems for Sailboats” by Lee Woas

Whole book is multiple methods for doing the same thing using different arrangements so that if one method doesn’t work on your boat there’s another one to try.

Lectcher’s book was the gold standard for DIY windvanes. Arguably Walt Murray’s website has become that. Walt died but the site was mirrored:

https://windvaneselfsteering.com/walt-murrays-website
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 10:19   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Merged now.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 10:03   #8

Boat: Swan 40; Yankee Dolphin; International Fireball, Naples Sabot; Klepper Kayak with Sail Rig

Hi Harry, I used to use this method on my Yankee Dolphin and learned from Lecher’s book. I found that going to the jib works best on a broad reach. For close reach or beating the main works best. Have fun with it.
Alan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 10:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Nope, the Gold Standard is “Self-steering Without a Windvane: A Comprehensive Manual of Natural and Sheet-to-tiller Steering Systems for Sailboats” by Lee Woas

Whole book is multiple methods for doing the same thing using different arrangements so that if one method doesn’t work on your boat there’s another one to try.

Lectcher’s book was the gold standard for DIY windvanes. Arguably Walt Murray’s website has become that. Walt died but the site was mirrored:

https://windvaneselfsteering.com/walt-murrays-website

Thanks for the other reference to Woas' work.

For those who don't know John's book, Letcher's was MUCH MORE than DIY windvanes. The entire first half of the book was an analysis of how boats sail, and how he developed his sheet to tiller options.

So, if you're not into windvanes (now, or yet...), Letcher's book is still amazingly helpful.
Old 28-02-2021, 13:55   #10

Boat: Hunter 30 G

any reason this cannot be adapted to wheel steering?
Old 28-02-2021, 14:52   #11

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

One thing I am going to try this spring or summer is a hanked-on version of the twizzle rig: https://www.simetric.co.uk/twizzle_r...g.htm#windward
I don't know if you have a hanked-on headsail or not but either way, for downiwind, this may be an option for you also since the other sheet-to-tiller set-ups have a hard time downwind. Dijkstra's book shows on page 118 options E and F but does not show the twizzle rig method of not mounting the poles to the deck or mast but supended together. I haven't tried it yet but I've got 2 headsails and 2 long oar shafts ready to go for the venture.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 15:07   #12

Boat: Sabre 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19thol View Post
any reason this cannot be adapted to wheel steering?
Take a look at this video - when I asked him if it would work on a wheel steered boat he said it would, will just have to cross the lines to the bottom of the wheel on the opposite side. I am planning to try it this summer.

https://youtu.be/5Fh5eu0cd3s
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:22   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Black View Post
I am going to try I am both main sheet to tiller steering and headsail to tiller steering. I have an Alberg 30. Does anybody have any suggestions as to which method is better
I love setting up my Alacrity 19 to self steer.
Things to do
1. First balance your sailboat with just a bungee holding the tiller.
2. Allow her to make a s pattern but do not touch anything for at least 10 mins. You will be making a s pattern not a steady course but she should always come back.
3. Adjust the main and jib sheet until you are happy that your sailboat is well balanced. It is very important you wait a at least 10 mins between adjustments.
You will still be sailing an s pattern but it should be smaller.
4. Then add the sheet to tiller.

Remember in all feedback systems will not hold a completely steady course. You will always make a s pattern but it should be small.
After you drift off course
1. The natural balance of the sails will bring you back on course.
2. The sheet to tiller will just do this a little earlier and will handle slowly shifting winds better.

Here is a video where I sailed over 5 hours with just a bungee holding the tiller. Notice at the end of the video the USCG issued a small craft advisory.

Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Extract on sheet to tiller self-steering, from Gerard Dijkstra’s book, “Self steering for Yachts”.
https://jesterchallenge.files.wordpr...-to-tiller.pdf
I sailed a Luna 24 Newport-Bermuda and back in 1986 with nothing but sheet-tiller. By the time I got back I could make it work pretty well. Well enough that the first thing I did was buy an electronic autopilot.
It was the slowest offshore passages I ever made, mostly because every time I went to sleep it seemed the wind changed and when I woke I was going back where I came from.
Yes, it kind of works, it was fun to play with . It might be useful when everything else breaks.
I carried the gear a few years later on a 10,000 mile Atlantic Circle, but when both my pilots quit I steered 20 hours by hand rather than bothering with it!
JimEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 17:16   #15

Boat: Alberg 30
Send a message via AIM to Harry Black

That doesn’t sound too promising. I will try to play around with it. Thank you for the info. All info is good whether it’s good news or not.
Harry Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering