Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2015, 21:55   #1171
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

I disagree the cat we have has outdone the dogs every time lol
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 00:53   #1172

I wouldn't throw anything in the water unless I was offshore. I would like to get her to go on something that could be used to transfer the "deposit" to the holding tank. Of course if I were in a marina or anywhere that had access to an appropriate place to walk her I would do that. I'm thinking of building a plywood platform that would allow her to use the head. She's very smart and willing to cooperate.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 23:04   #1173

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolarose View Post
yes,yes, i remember that one.. only i forgot to mention that i have house in dubrovnik with lemon and orange trees around and can jump from my balkony in the sea or walk down the road five minutes to the beach.

not to mention another one on the peljesac peninsula with wineyard(quite good anual income) and quite BIG plot of land. if that is in OUR dear uk it would be wort probably few million pounds.
and i am not on food stams. i am on jobseakers alowance (presently on sick note)
but do not you vorry, i will not use your tax payer money after this july. my daughter finishing year 11 this summer and she is goin to live with her mother in tampa, and i am leaving Uk, going back to adriatic sea summer...... tampa in "winter"

i hope i clear it for you

love
Hi lolarose,
nice not meeting you
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 01:34   #1174

New member having trouble posting question on forum. Help please. Is there safe anchorage on the east side of Egmont Key, Tampa Bay? If not, where? without going to far into bay to avoid long return to Gulf of Mexico. Thanks.
Roger that is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 08:14   #1175

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger that View Post
New member having trouble posting question on forum. Help please. Is there safe anchorage on the east side of Egmont Key, Tampa Bay? If not, where? without going to far into bay to avoid long return to Gulf of Mexico. Thanks.
Sure. It is kind of open though.
Better if the wind is West but at least you are in the bay.

You can cross the channel to the North and cozy up to the South side of Ft. Desoto park also.
Old 19-09-2015, 14:00   #1176

Boat: Antares 44i

The #1 most important thing for our budget as liveaboard sailors going around the world is being able to maintain, fix and keep everything running and in great shape on the boat. There's nothing that puts a dent in the budget faster than unexpected costs to hire someone to fix something that's broken
we carry a very specific set of tools so we can fix everything on Golden Glow.
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 05:17   #1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllesBelles View Post
The #1 most important thing for our budget as liveaboard sailors going around the world is being able to maintain, fix and keep everything running and in great shape on the boat. There's nothing that puts a dent in the budget faster than unexpected costs to hire someone to fix something that's broken
we carry a very specific set of tools so we can fix everything on Golden Glow.
That's been our experience, too. When nothing is breaking, $500 will do fine after stuff like insurance has been paid. But, something always seems to be breaking!
Old 21-09-2015, 22:04   #1178

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
That's been our experience, too. When nothing is breaking, $500 will do fine after stuff like insurance has been paid. But, something always seems to be breaking!
That's only $16 a day for food, alcohol, clothing, medical, personal care products, phone/Internet, entertainment, off boat transport, devices, gifts, stationary, electricity/fuel/water all those things that regularly crop up but not every day.

Ten years ago I might have been able to do it but today I would struggle on $1000 a month and probably spend closer to $1500 here in Thailand and that is not living a high life.

A year or so back I did a budget in order to live comfortable but not extravagant in a marina in Australia you need $2500 at least per month.

For comparison the Australian pension is around 1000 USD a month and a marina berth 1500 to 2000 USD. Full time living on the hook is banned just about every where in Oz.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-09-2015, 22:20   #1179
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
A year or so back I did a budget in order to live comfortable but not extravagant in a marina in Australia you need $2500 at least per month.

For comparison the Australian pension is around 1000 USD a month and a marina berth 1500 to 2000 USD. Full time living on the hook is banned just about every where in Oz.

That sounds like a lot to me for moorage what size vessel are you caculating for? Here in the pnw we pay just under $500 USD for a 42 fter and I pay 140 for my 24 that I live on dad has the Spencer.
Old 22-09-2015, 00:52   #1180

Quote:
That's only $16 a day for food, alcohol, clothing, medical, personal care products, phone/Internet, entertainment, off boat transport, devices, gifts, stationary, electricity/fuel/water all those things that regularly crop up but not every day.

Ten years ago I might have been able to do it but today I would struggle on $1000 a month and probably spend closer to $1500 here in Thailand and that is not living a high life.

Where in Oz. And what size. I pay nothing like that and never would.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 04:46   #1181

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Quote:
Full time living on the hook is banned just about every where in Oz.
Currently living legally on the hook here on the Brisbane River, a few kms from the CBD. For $70 a week I can rent a pole mooring IN the CBD.

It's not all black here, just in Sydney. :-)

BTW my total budget is $765.00pcm. That includes rates on a house in NZ, registration for two yachts, swing mooring fees in Sydney (Woolwich), annual flight to NZ and back, and registration for two cars and two trailers. And a storage room in Melbourne. This has been averaged out over four years.

Stop drinking is my advice.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 04:58   #1182

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Yep.The $500 figure goes back many years and even then was a very low point selected randomly. Most readers would not be comfortable with the everyday sacrifices required to get by on little.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 12:49   #1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

Yep.The $500 figure goes back many years and even then was a very low point selected randomly. Most readers would not be comfortable with the everyday sacrifices required to get by on little.
A lot of people bring their previous lifestyle with them to the boat. They are not going to be the ones who spend less while cruising.
Old 22-09-2015, 13:35   #1184

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
A lot of people bring their previous lifestyle with them to the boat. They are not going to be the ones who spend less while cruising.

My observation as one who has recently cut the land lines is that the expenditure range is all over the map. How much you spend will largely be determined by how you have already learned how to live. If you've lived a life of relative luxury, where your wants are easily fulfilled, then it's unlikely that you'll suddenly embrace a life of frugality. And I think the opposite is also true; if you've lived a frugal life where your needs are met, but not necessarily all your wants, then you'll likely carry on this approach.

Most people don't change unless they are forced to. This is why the "self help" industry is so vibrant. People are always looking to change who they are, but most won't, so they keep looking for the next silver bullet.
Old 22-09-2015, 15:21   #1185
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mike you just hit the nail on the head. I have been frugal my whole life ( my parents lived the great depression). I was raised with the moto a penny saved is a penny earned.

Tags
budget