Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 11:23   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Short Handed MOB

Does anyone have a good technique, (or a video link, etc) for a MOB procedure when you are short handed? My husband and I have never practiced MOB drills on our little boat because our sailing ground is a nice lake, and we never go out in conditions over 10 knts... lake is very flat, etc.We wear life jackets, and I guess we (stupidly) feel somewhat safe in our small 22'. We have, however, done MOB drills on larger boats, with larger crew and are familiar with all the individual responsibilities. But, in a month I will be sailing on Lake Huron, and with just my husband and I, I'm not sure how to manage a MOB as one person would have to do it all... Now is the time for me to learn. Our cruise will start out with us running multiple MOB drills... but would like to know a very efficient system that we perfect. Oh, and it may be helpful to know that we will be on a Gemini Catamaran (35'... )

All help will be appreciated.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 13:14   #2

Boat: Passport 40
Re: Short Handed MOB

I also sail short handed and have been experimenting with a few ideas for MOB recovery. Our boat is 40' long and we only really use a main and genoa, not a kite or anything else that would complicate things.

Will your boat have a Lifesling? If so that makes life a lot easier. When the winds are below 15kt (not reefed), we would use a "racetrack" recovery. If the winds are between 15kt and 25kt, the "reach-tack-reach" method would be used to avoid a gybe. Above 25kt we rarely sail with the main up, so the racetrack would be used again.

Upwind- wind less than 15kt (genoa and main) or greater than 25kt (genoa only)

1. Hit MOB button, deploy Lifesling, and throw Danbuoy at MOB

2. Head boat into wind, then tack so the genoa is backwinded and the boat is "hove to" within a couple hundred feet of the MOB.

3. Turn on engine (but do not engage prop)

4. Without trimming sails, turn downwind and sail past the MOB (shouting words of encouragement as you pass)

5. Once past the MOB, turn upwind and MOTOR right past the victim so they can grab the Lifesling

6. Stop the boat (hove to) and pull victim to the boat

Upwind -15kt to 25kt (reefed genoa and main)

1. Hit MOB button, deploy Lifesling, and throw Danbuoy at MOB.

2. Without trimming sails, turn down onto a beam reach

3. Turn on engine

4. Release main sheet. Don't worry about the genoa.

5. Once you are a couple hundred feet away from the victim, turn into the wind and tack the boat

6. Head straight downwind, being careful not to gybe

7. Once you are past abeam of the MOB, turn into the wind to a close reach and motorsail to the victim

8. Once you pass the victim, use the engine to turn straight into the wind so the victim can grab the Lifesling

9. Stop the boat and recover.

Downwind - all conditions

1. Hit MOB button, deploy Lifesling, and throw Danbuoy at MOB

2. Turn into the wind enough that all sails are luffing (probably a close reach)

3. Turn on engine but do not engage prop.

4. Release the preventer but don't bother with any other controls

5. Turn upwind and MOTOR right past the victim so they can grab the Lifesling. Be careful not to tangle the prop.

6. Stop the boat and recover victim using the Lifesling.
Mediator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 13:39   #3

Here are some simple diagrams. These methods work for my boat and my systems but probably not for everyone.

Some useful videos too:

Quick-stop:
Reach-tack-reach:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1977.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	174942   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1978.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	174943  

Name:	IMG_1979.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	174944  
Old 05-08-2018, 13:56   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello Scarlet,

It's good you're taking this seriously. Probably safest to get life jackets that float you with your nose out of the water and, and that have usable crotch straps. If MOB is not conscious, you'll have to use a halyard to lift him aboard, possibly onto the trampoline. It will have to be done quickly, too, as you might need to do mouth to mouth on him, possibly CPR.

Part of the "prep" is to make sure the tail on the halyard is long enough that you can snap him on, or better, tie him on with a bowline knot, from where you can reach him, then pull him alongside like a dinghy and hoist. If you have a Milwaukee tool for hoisting the main, this would be a good time to use it to hoist him! much faster than hand cranking him up. If you lash your lifelines, you can cut them to lower them to speed up the getting him back aboard.

A conscious MOB can help you help him, and can board from astern. Where you need to really think about it is when the victim is unconscious, having been knocked overboard by the boom, or struck his head, falling. IMO, it is really good to think about these issues ahead of time: once you've tried the plan, with him acting unconscious, you probably will only revisit it rarely. it's good to have the plan and see how it works.

Good luck with it, it'll probably wind up being a hoot!

Ann
Old 05-08-2018, 14:07   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Thank you, Ann, for adding the last step. So much MOB thinking centers on finding the victim, while leaving out the part about one elderly partner trying to get the other elderly and unconscious or simply weakened by hypothermia partner back on board. First is having a good quick way of hooking on, and second a way of lifting. There are stories about horrid tragedies involving failure to be able to get the victim back on board after they are along side.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 14:10   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The biggest problem with man overboard out of sight land or some reference point is losing track of the person in the water. Use the MOB function on your GPS and/or get a pole with flag in the water. Without a point of reference, yoiu quickly lose your spatial orientation and have no idea where to look for the person. Running downwind in the open ocean with the jib poled out, moderate winds and a 4' sea tried a MOB drill. Used an old life jacket as the MOB. My wife tried to keep her eyes on the LJ while I started the engine, took down the pole, and got the boat turned around. With the seas and distance travelled to get the pole disconnected she soon lost sight of the LJ. Made an approximation of a 90/270 turn and motored back up the reciprocal of our course. Soon became obvious that with the seas and distance travelled before we got turned around, we were totally clueless where the LJ had gone overboard and really had no idea where to look for it. Needless to say we were short one life jacket after that.

The videos are nice but look at the sea state. You could sail a mile or more away from the MOB and still have them in sight. Add some significant waves and the MOB would be invisable much of the time from 6 boat lengths away. If you have an engine would start it up and run it in strongly in reverse to stop forward motion to limit distance travelled from the MOB and then turn to follow the reciprocal course as soon as possible. Working under sail alone the video technique has merits but not if there is an engine.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 14:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If you have an engine would start it up and run it in strongly in reverse to stop forward motion to limit distance travelled from the MOB and then turn to follow the reciprocal course as soon as possible. Working under sail alone the video technique has merits but not if there is an engine.
I believe using the engine is critical for a fast and simple shorthanded MOB recovery. However, I think starting it and running it in reverse would be far less effective that simply turning the boat and luffing the sails. Even with a poled out jib and prevented main, you can easily turn to a reach and depower the boat before you begin the recovery.

Maybe my engine is underpowered, but it definitely would not be able to stop my boat if there was any breeze.
Old 05-08-2018, 14:52   #8

Boat: Leopard 39

If someone sees a MOB happen, that person (or someone else) is usually assigned to keep a finger pointed at the person in the water while the rest of the crew pilots the boat back to the MOB and prepares to extricate him or her. With just the two of you it's just a bit more challenging because whoever remains on the boat has to keep the MOB in sight AND pilot the boat. Practice makes perfect.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 16:57   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hello Scarlet,

It's good you're taking this seriously. Probably safest to get life jackets that float you with your nose out of the water and, and that have usable crotch straps. If MOB is not conscious, you'll have to use a halyard to lift him aboard, possibly onto the trampoline. It will have to be done quickly, too, as you might need to do mouth to mouth on him, possibly CPR.

My first preference short handed would be from astern. A 35ft Gemini would commonly has a sugarscoop with drop down ladder and a suitably placed winch to run a line aft down the sugarscoop. (Hobby horsing in rough conditions can actually help in this situation )
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 17:31   #10

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

On your Gemini, The best way to get him or her back on board would be the Dropdown ladder on the stern,
Keep your chest harness on and a lanyard that allows you to get down the steps to grab hold of them,
You could have a pulley on the davits set up just for this reason, With a quick clip to latch on to the victim,
This would be essential if the victim is unconcious,
You can grab the victim by hand from the bottom steps,

Same as your Dinghy pulleys, But next to the Steps, One on each side of the steps would be better,
As the sea state might not let you get the victim on the drop down ladder side,
A float tied to the bottom of the transom steps would also assist in the victim getting them self back on board,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 17:56   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Hello Scarlet,

Part of the "prep" is to make sure the tail on the halyard is long enough that you can snap him on, or better, tie him on with a bowline knot, from where you can reach him, then pull him alongside like a dinghy and hoist. If you have a Milwaukee tool for hoisting the main, this would be a good time to use it to hoist him! much faster than hand cranking him up. If you lash your lifelines, you can cut them to lower them to speed up the getting him back aboard.

A conscious MOB can help you help him, and can board from astern. Where you need to really think about it is when the victim is unconscious, having been knocked overboard by the boom, or struck his head, falling. IMO, it is really good to think about these issues ahead of time: once you've tried the plan, with him acting unconscious, you probably will only revisit it rarely. it's good to have the plan and see how it works.

Good luck with it, it'll probably wind up being a hoot!

Ann
With all due respect to you and the OP... we owned an O’Day 20 for seven years back in the 80’s. There’s no way you’re going to lift a human over the size of an 8 year old using a halyard on that boat. The weight of an adult will either break the halyard or tip the boat and swamp it.

However, using a halyard will work on the Gemini cat. Regarding the crotch strap.... definitely a “must have” item, but not intended for lifting as Dockhead recently discovered when the crotch strap broke.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 18:32   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ken, one of the things I took from Dockhead's thread on the subject, is the necessity to get a sling under their legs, too, to lift them in a seated position. It is easy enough to create stronger crotch straps, and fastenings. But I'm not sure I could manage both if he were unconscious.

As to the strength of the halyards, well goodness knows what kind of halyards a hired cat will have! Jim has gone aloft on 10mm spectra halyards for many years, and 1/2" polyester double braid before that.

Ann
Old 05-08-2018, 18:39   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Ken, one of the things I took from Dockhead's thread on the subject, is the necessity to get a sling under their legs, too, to lift them in a seated position. It is easy enough to create stronger crotch straps, and fastenings. But I'm not sure I could manage both if he were unconscious.

As to the strength of the halyards, well goodness knows what kind of halyards a hired cat will have! Jim has gone aloft on 10mm spectra halyards for many years, and 1/2" polyester double braid before that.

Ann
Scarlet owns an O’Day 22 and is also looking for MOB advice for that boat, has Jim gone up the mast on an O’Day 22?

Having owned an O’Day 20... I would not advise doing it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 19:06   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Scarlet owns an O’Day 22 and is also looking for MOB advice for that boat, has Jim gone up the mast on an O’Day 22?

Having owned an O’Day 20... I would not advise doing it.
But, in a month I will be sailing on Lake Huron, and with just my husband and I, I'm not sure how to manage a MOB as one person would have to do it all... Now is the time for me to learn. Our cruise will start out with us running multiple MOB drills... but would like to know a very efficient system that we perfect. Oh, and it may be helpful to know that we will be on a Gemini Catamaran (35'... )
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 19:28   #15

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Just so you know, This is the Transom of a 34 foot Gemini Catamaran,
You can see the drop down ladder on the bottom step,
It goes down into the water about 2 feet and has three steps on it,
Yes, You can actually grab some one from the bottom step,

Its a lot different to a yacht,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	333.jpg