Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 06:08   #1

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Short wave radio ??

Hello ,
I am completely new to this and quite struggling to understand , as I get it you can receive weather on an ssb , does the same applies with normal short wave radios like https://www.amazon.com/Bands-World-Receiver-ICF-SW11-Introductory/dp/B00009VSCZ
I read on a book that they where getting the weather in a short wave radio and it made me wonder .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:15   #2

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Short wave radio ??

Generally you need one with a beat frequency ocilator or Upper and lower side band modes to receive HF voice.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:10   #3

First a couple of terms.

SSB is method to modulate your audio on a transmitter. It has no conotation of freq or band is used on, although its typically used on the HF bands.

Shortwave is set of frequencies starting just above the AM broadcast band 1.8mhz (megaherts) and ending at 30mhz, just above the US CB radio band.
Short wave is also used to indicate someone who listens the signals in these frequencies. This same range of frequencies is also called HF or High Frequency. Short wave is also used to indicate a radio that only has receive capabilities within all or part of the short wave band.

Your marine SSB radio uses frequencies within the HF/shortwave band.

The radio in your link is an AM/FM and specifically says not for SSB use.
Broaden your amazon search shortwave radio SSB

You will find something like https://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-PL-660...wave+radio+SSB
Old 01-09-2018, 11:42   #4

Thank you , it kind of seems a good alternative for weather information .
Old 01-09-2018, 13:42   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

You can also use a software defined radio (SDR) which can be as small as a USB stick for your computer, or the size of a paperback book. Since it is already hooked into your computer, getting the weather data in requires less cabling and level matching.

Some of them are cheaper than an inexpensive radio. Others are incredibly more versatile and powerful.

Probably some YT videos on how to do that. Or the SDR makers probably can advise you on it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 14:00   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Receiving weather" can mean a few things, but regardless, in most cases you need SSB reception. These are the usual methods:

- voice weather forecasts from NOAA and the US Coast Guard, as well as from international stations. Any SSB-capable radio will work.

- weatherfax, transmitted by the NOAA and others. You need additional gear for this, as simple as a iThing or Android app listening to the radio's speaker, or software on a PC with a wired connection to the radio headphone jack (OpenCPN has a WFAX plug-in, and there are other stand-alone programs). You can also buy an expensive modem that will decode wfax.

-GRIB weather forecasts. You will need a full SSB or Ham transceiver and either hardware of software modem for this.

You can get adequate SSB-capable receivers for around $100, or SDR receivers for just a bit more. It will take some work dealing with antennas and interference, as well as some study of radio propagation before you will get this all working reasonably well. It's not hard, but probably not intuitive.

There are plenty of threads here that discuss how to get weather info at sea.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 17:50   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep. You want a USB/LSB capable unit. And a decent one and then some kind of antenna too.

A receiver is enough, to listen.

We still collected ssb voice and radiofax on our last crossing of N Atlantic (West Indies to Europe, courtesy of NOAA/NWS). Summer 2018.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:42   #8

It seems interesting and inexpensive way to get weather data , plus it doesn't have monthly costs like satellite .
Thank you for your advices I will.look for a receiver with ssb capabilities
Old 02-09-2018, 05:14   #9
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
It seems interesting and inexpensive way to get weather data , plus it doesn't have monthly costs like satellite .
Thank you for your advices I will.look for a receiver with ssb capabilities
Been using one of these for a good few years -
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...=degen+1103%5C

Plus have a listen to what's going on here >

websdr.org
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:26   #10

Does any one has a list of the frequencies and hours weather information can be received worldwide?
nepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:41   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepal View Post
Does any one has a list of the frequencies and hours weather information can be received worldwide?
Here are the WFAX broadcasts. As previously mentioned, you need a hardware or software decoder for these: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/marine/rfax.pdf

Here are the United States Coastguard voice broadcasts. Depending on time, frequency, and location, you may be able to receive these worldwide: USCG HF Voice

There are no doubt other voice broadcasts.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 15:07   #12

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Generally you need one with a beat frequency ocilator or Upper and lower side band modes to receive HF voice.
PLease translate in plain English. Thanks. LOL.
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 15:13   #13

I have a very old Sony ICF 2010 (model not year) which I totally recommend as a mf/hf SSB receiver. Good for weather forecasts and listening to what the ham radio people are talking about, as well as the BBC world service when offshore. Its likely you will find one on ebay.

The amplified antena is a bonus if you can find one.

Only issue is it chews through the batteries.
greensail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 15:39   #14

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrailleur View Post
PLease translate in plain English. Thanks. LOL.

Would take a book to explain fully what a sideband is, a carrier, a beat frequency oscilator, a mixer, all that. In fact, a good book is just what you need. Try the ARRL handbook. It is pretty weighty but starts with the basics. To understand radio you need to learn radio. Starting with the basics.

The good news is you don't exactly have to understand it to use it. There are books on SWL (ShortWave Listening) that will help you to pick out a receiver and tune in to a frequency appropriate for the time of day and location of you the listener, and the sending station, that has useful or entertaining content.

If you sail far from land it would be a really good idea to purchase and install a full SSB radio, antenna tuner, and antenna (which can be part of your standing rigging, like your backstay for instance) and get whatever license is needed in your country to use it. That would of course also give you receive capability so you can get your voice weather, RTTY, SITOR/AMTOR, packet, fax, etc with the correct external equipment or interface to your computer. There are also dedicated WEFAX machines that you just set to a frequency and make sure that there is still paper on the roll and it prints out hardcopy weather faxes for you. Same with NAVTEX. Me, I don't like a one trick pony and I dont mind a bit of DIY hacking and fiddling so I prefer a proper transciever or a good receiver and I take it from there.

I know it all sounds very complicated, huh? Lots of Jargon but that jargon cuts through a lot of long winded, er, wind. Nothing like immersion. Try getting your HAM license. Licensing is incremental. Novice or Tech license is pretty simple to study for and you learn a lot of fundamentals about radio. Then there is General, Advanced, and Extra classes, (these are U.S. license categories) each of which demand more knowledge in the applicant. Licensing is cheap. Used gear is usually pretty cheap, too, so you can get some opportunity to practice what you learned. At sea, on the HF HAM bands you can communicate with other stations all over the world, and it is easy to find a friendly HAM ashore who will pass on your messages or do a phone patch for you. There are also a very few radios that are type accepted for Marine HF SSB use, and also fully HAM capable as well, so you can use the rig for "official" marine SSB traffic, HAM communications, SWL, or data reception including NAVTEX and WEFAX. I won't even get started on PACKET gateways.

Think of it this way. There was a lot you didn't understand about sailing jargon when you first got interested, right? Not to mention sailing capabilities and techniques. Even buying your first boat was complicated. Radio is the same way, and radio and sailing are two very compatible activities, both with a learning curve that leads out into infinity.
Old 02-09-2018, 16:02   #15

I agree that having a full SSB transceiver is a great idea offshore, especially now that with so many people changing the satellite, the airwaves are much clearer. There are some great skeds out there in different regions, and they are very friendly.

Some of the older radios can get the "snip" to allow then to transmit on both ham and marine SSB. (Not that I would recommend that )

I have the antenna as part of the backstay but would probably prefer to have a freestanding whip as you still have a radio if you loose the mast.
greensail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio