Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2023, 00:43   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Single Handed Docking Question

I’m looking to try some solo sailing when my wife is away. I have a single slip that’s fairly easy for me to dock and have been experimenting leaving the lines at the docks (while carrying spares). I believe my best bet is to hang a spring line on my dock steps so that I can walk up from the helm and get this tied to the mid cleat.

My biggest concern is that the boat seems to always get a bit sideways in the slip whenever we get the first line on at the mid cleat when going bow into the slip and that my stopping power has certainly diminished since switching from a fixed to folding prop. Are there any good liners or types of fenders I can put up there to help protect the boat? Given, it isn’t hitting any of these parts of the slip at any speed but rather be safe than sorry.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 00:57   #2

Boat: Nautor Swan 54
Re: Single Handed Docking Question

Hi Kenny,

I've found this book to be invaluable! https://www.amazon.com/Stress-free-S.../dp/1472907434
basiliopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 01:01   #3

Boat: Nautor Swan 54

I really liked: Stress-free Sailing: Single and Short-handed Techniques by Duncan Wells. It's chock full of tips on sailing alone and with links to videos. The guy explains it really well.
basiliopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 01:56   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
I’m looking to try some solo sailing when my wife is away. I have a single slip that’s fairly easy for me to dock and have been experimenting leaving the lines at the docks (while carrying spares). I believe my best bet is to hang a spring line on my dock steps so that I can walk up from the helm and get this tied to the mid cleat.

My biggest concern is that the boat seems to always get a bit sideways in the slip whenever we get the first line on at the mid cleat when going bow into the slip and that my stopping power has certainly diminished since switching from a fixed to folding prop. Are there any good liners or types of fenders I can put up there to help protect the boat? Given, it isn’t hitting any of these parts of the slip at any speed but rather be safe than sorry.

Do you dock stern to or bow to? I assume springs are on dolphins or pilings that mark the outer end of your slip.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 02:39   #5

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I know this is going to sound a little bit crazy, and people won’t like it.

I don’t like the boat getting sideways either.

that’s why I put the stern line on first if coming in forward to a dock. It stops the boat. And it automatically kind of holds the boat against the dock and parallel to it as long as you don’t over tighten it.

then I rush up and put the bow line on.

once you’ve done that, you are in. Then you can deal with the rest of the final adjustments and putting on a spring line.

I find this a lot easier when you are single handed.

also, instead of leaving the lines on the dock which seems difficult to me, I leave them on the boat. But I hang them carefully and strategically on the boat so that I can do this all very quickly.

If I have to get off the boat amidship, I bring the stern line up to the gate amidship in the lifelines and hang it there. I also bring the bow line back to the amidships gate and hang it there.

then I get the boat in the right spot and I grab that stern line as I’m leaving the boat at the gate in the lifelines. Get that stern line on real quick. Not too tight. And then as I’m walking forward to the bow cleat on the dock I can simply grab the bow line off of that amidships gate that I just came out. And put that on.

then the boat is at least secure and not going anywhere. And it’s not twisting either.

i’m not sure why the spring line is so popular on the forum. I don’t even find it to be that important. Not until you are doing the final adjustments.

if I am getting off the aft most part of the boat, I run the lines back there. This is true of my current boat. I bring the bow line all the way back to the Stern. And coil it and hang it there. the stern line hangs there as well while I am waiting to get off the stern of the boat. Same procedure
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 03:12   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit

Kind of agree with Chotu. Our midship cleat is too far forward and that forces the bow in. I don't singlehand often, but when I do, I'll drop a line from the dock over the genoa winch in the cockpit, kind of like a spring line but nice and far aft. Boat will snuggle up against the dock once the line gets under tension. I can leave the engine in gear and take my time to put on all the other lines while the boat just happily sits there.
Kijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 03:29   #7

Boat: ?

https://www.sfbaysss.org/oldsite2013...irdEdition.pdf

(ch 6)
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 03:30   #8

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I don’t like the boat getting sideways either.

that’s why I put the stern line on first if coming in forward to a dock.
I always come in forward and always am single hand sailing.

I grab the stern line(s) as I'm coasting in and toss them into the cockpit.

Then walk midships and jump onto the dock (finger pier) and stop the boat.

Then hook the bow line on (I have an old bronze hook up on the forward dock line) center bow.

Then back to the cockpit and secure one line to the stern cleat and one to the winch cleat.

Also I only use one stern piling and I have a fender tied to the finger pier that I sail into to slow the boat.....

Later add the two other forward lines to the center foredeck cleat

It also helps having a 27' boat....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1379 (2).jpg
Views:	132
Size:	438.6 KB
ID:	272133   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0639 (5).jpg
Views:	127
Size:	455.6 KB
ID:	272134  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1378 (2).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	445.6 KB
ID:	272135  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 04:44   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

Every slip is different, every fairway is different, and even the same slip and same fairway can differ from day to day depending on winds, tides and neighboring boats.

So it is hard to give specific advice about what would work best for you in your situation.

But, as a general rule, if you have tall pilings it can be helpful to secure a permanent line from piling to piling running parallel to your finger pier. As you enter or leave the slip you can grab the line with your boathook to help keep you centered in the slip.

I have also seen bumpers/rubrails that secure to pilings and dock corners that protect your hull from scrapes and scratches.

For an interesting video of how a seasoned solo sailor has his slip set up for solo docking with a 40' sailboat take a look at this:

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 05:13   #10

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

I back into my slip. One thing it requires is slowing the boat down and figuring out the cross currents and wind. Sometimes it takes several circles and attempts. It is good practice for manuvering your boat. When I am close enough, with the engine in neutral, I just jump on the finger pier and manhandle the boat in, securing the closest lines as I can, including the springline to an amidships cleat on the outer jib track.

It also makes for an easy exit from the slip - drop the lines and shift the engine in forward, or even push the boat out and jump on.
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 05:13   #11

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Kijit has identified a major problem with cleating. If the midships cleat is not placed right then any effort to use a spring will reslut in the vessel being drawn in by the bow or stern. I experimented with various locations using moveable blocks to finally locate my cleats that alowed me to keep the boat parrallel to the dock with the engine in gear or to pull it in parrallel when approaching the dock.
Old 27-02-2023, 05:26   #12

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

If the midship cleat is far forward, you can still use it for a spring in most cases. You just won't have the rudder straight when powering against the spring, you'll have it turned away from the dock instead.

I'd experiment with a spring from the midship cleat as well as the stern cleat and figure out what engine and helm setting is required for each one to hold the boat against the dock. You may find one works better than the other, or that they both work and you can use either depending on which is more practical in a given situation.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 05:55   #13

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Generally a mid cleat spring is the best. GEt it hooked on (a short one) then turn your rudder to opposite side of the finger pier, give the engine a little forward gas and the stern and midship will sidle nicely up to the pier allowing you to step off, and get the other lines fixed.

Failing that, especially if you don't have a midship cleat or it cannot be used, you can use a bow line as a spring. Rig a long bow line to a cleat in the middle of the pier, once again turn you rudder away from the finger, give it some gas in forward and the stern will turn nicely into the finger.

Single handed docking is not easy and requires practice. One tip is to tie a strong loop in the end of the spring that you are going to put on the finger cleat. an good open loop will allow you to drop this over the cleat without having to get off the boat.

The best instructional video on this (and single handed sailing and sail trim) is from Jack Klange (disclaimer - I have no affiliation with Jack)

here is a link to The Sailing Channel

https://www.thesailingchannel.tv/pro...k-klang-video/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 06:08   #14

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Interesting!

Now I see why you guys like to use the spring line. It is the most popular thing on the forum though I never use it.

I prefer not to use my engine when I am docking. I put the boat there still and then I use the lines to keep the boat in place. The boat is in neutral when I step off and stationary (almost).

pretty much the same when anchoring and I know that is also controversial. I prefer to use natural momentum and natural forces when docking and anchoring.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 06:13   #15

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Interesting!

Now I see why you guys like to use the spring line. It is the most popular thing on the forum though I never use it.

I prefer not to use my engine when I am docking. I put the boat there still and then I use the lines to keep the boat in place. The boat is in neutral when I step off and stationary (almost).

pretty much the same when anchoring and I know that is also controversial. I prefer to use natural momentum and natural forces when docking and anchoring.

In settled conditions that works nicely and is generally what I do as well. The spring line comes in handy when it's windy or there's some current, as you can get the one line on, then pin the boat in place with engine power for as long as you need to get a few more lines on and stuff secured. So once that first spring line is on, everything becomes calm and not rushed.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, Docking, single