Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2007, 22:41   #46

Boat: Looking for a new boat
I have read a lot of books about people single handing and it seems like these people are very diligent with their watches etc. It also seems like most of the time they are worried about getting run over by other boats not running over boats.

As for the question as to why people do extreme things... it is to fill a void inside of them. Whenever you look to the world for answers and find none then you just have to look elsewhere. In this day and age I find that a very relatable sentiment. Actually sailing around the world alone would be a very fine alternative to putting up with a lot of the crap I see on tv today.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 01:18   #47

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I know why I ignore the rules. In NZ the max speed on a freeway is 100kph, yet when driving home late on a deserted 6 lane highway I occasionally let the speed creep up to 110 kph, it's just the rebel in me trying to break out.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 01:24   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Are Single-Handers mired in persistent adolescence?

Perhaps the right ventrial striatum is under-developed in single-handers, explaining their need for extreme stimuli to achieve “normal” brain activity.

For instance, teen brains show less activity in the regions associated with risk/reward & motivation (right ventrial striatum), suggesting that this crucial part of their brain is under-developed. Adolescents may be more willing to engage in extreme activities to achieve normal levels of stimulation in this brain region

Teen brains show low motivation ~ by Gaia Vince (NewScientist.com news service)
Teen brains show low motivation - 25 February 2004 - New Scientist

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 02:17   #49

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Be thankful that there are good people who do extreme things or we would be in a bad (err, worse) place.

Ever stoped an armed robery, put out a fire, assist a stranger on a deserted road. What is extreme for one may be a daily fact for some.

Most single handers that I have talk to have well founded boats. Some fully crewed boats are not in that good of shape.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 09:24   #50

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
I think there's a big difference between breaking the rules in a safe manner and breaking rules in an unsafe manner. Going 10 K over the limit on a dry road with no traffic, in a car that is designed to go significantly faster poses no great risk. Letting your boat do the driving while you go to sleep poses a considerable hazard. It's not just collisions either; I wonder how many cases where a boat has hit a whale or a semi-submerged container, or run aground, that there wasn't a watch being kept?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 09:53   #51

Boat: C&C 27
Oh, one other thing. I keep fenders fixed to the dock. That way I don't have to leave the helm to take care of them when I return. I just slide into the dock and step off. One of my neighbors sails a big Gulf alone. He uses what we affectionately call a "Stop ****** Line". Essentially this is a line fixed to the dock that you grab from the cockpit and throw on a winch. He then spins the wheel to the side away from the dock and the boat pins itself to the dock while he ties off. We are on floating piers.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 10:54   #52

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Dana,
110kph is a bit slower than 110mph. On the old German autobahns I used to be able to do 190kph for hours. Sure got you where you wanted to go in a hurry.
I think "proper lookout" means different things where you are sailing. In a shipping lane would be different than open ocean. I still don't like single handing because I know how sleep deprivation effects my judgment.
I've even fallen asleep leaning against a bulkhead after a few days without any lay down time.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 11:34   #53

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
As a general rule I keep watch till I'm 100 niles from anything hard, on a long passage sleep deprivation isn't a big problem, only the last 100 miles. If the only increased danger is to myself (hitting a container) I'm OK with it. I wouldn't single hand if I thought it presented a danger to another vessel.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 13:22   #54
cruiser

Singlehanding

I've singlehanded accross the Pacific 9 times and made 9 trips to the Charlottes) all single handed except for one trip to Mexico. Since my early 20's I used to invite ladies out , some of whom advertised for crewing positions, some of whom practrically begged me to take them sailing. 90% never showed up. So does that mean that if they don't show up , that makes me selfish.Does that mean that anybody who doesn;'t know the code word for getting them to show up is "Selfish?" Most singlehanders I've met have had the same experience. Your assertioin that only smooth talking extroverts should be allowed to go cruising is either elitist , or incredibly ingnorant
In 1999 a 23 year old surfer girl wanted a ride to Mexico. When I looked at her I pictured myself at that eage and remembered what a dream come true it would have been to make such a trip. I couldn't say no.
We had a great trip, not an angry word said in 14 days ,zero pressure. She came back wanting to build herself a sistership to my boat and kep cruising. I couldn't have been that much of a captain bligh.
Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man
The rules are not just for avoiding collision, but also for looking for emergency signals from other vessels.

There has been cases of single sailors colliding with other vessels while sleeping. A Korean fishing boat was the victim in one case on top of my mind.
Others have hit rocks and shore.

Point is, ya are not there out by yourself, so don't be be selfish.
Say if my boat was in trouble, disabled and not under command:
I am down below to fix my stuff and am being run down by some idiot trying to set a record in his sleep as he did not see my flares, rockets or my boat. His radio is also off as there is nobody out there in VHF range anyway.

Guys, don't take this lightly: I spent a few years in the mercant marine as the junior guy onboard and I was the look-out most of the time:
Had to stand on the bridge-wing for 4 hours X 2 every day and just look while the mate was inside navigating or manning the radar. Regardless of electronics, we always had the look-out. Crossing the big oceans we never saw much at all. (Africa to Australia was 3 weeks at 3 times the speed of the average sailboat.)

Once a week or so, we could see a light or a vessel out there. If we had no look-out and if the little guy was right in front of us, he would not have made a scratch on our bow, nor would we have heard the screams.
(1000 feet long ships)

Guess I was born with this look-out stuff: My family came from fishermen and merchant mariners for as many generations as I can follow, then I started doing it myself at age 14 domestic and 17 International.
If I have told my father, uncles, grandfathers, great-great, etc that there is no need to look out or pay attention while ya cross oceans, in fact ya can do it yerself while ya sleep just to prove to some bimbo-magazine or to some farmers watching TV that ya are indeed an explorer and pioneer with big balls and a strong mind and body because by God, ya sailed solo around the world, then they would look at me like I had smoked crack.

In the genes I guess, sorry for the rant.

I just don't understand it.
Do they know something I don't?
Or are they just plain stupid and irresponsible?
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 04:43   #55

Boat: Contest 27 - 'Mon Bateau'
I go solo quit a bit but never a passage per say.

As far as getting run down, Id be more scared of falling into the drink than anything else. I always wear my harnass when I go offshore no matter if its just a daytrip or a overniter.
Old 23-01-2007, 07:01   #56
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Your assertioin that only smooth talking extroverts should be allowed to go cruising is either elitist , or incredibly ingnorant
Not sure how people's mind work these days, if at all:
What the hell has "smooth talking extroverts" to do with ignoring basic safety rules?
Old 23-01-2007, 10:49   #57

Boat: Looking for a new boat
yeah not really sure where he got that one either. But if you are a smooth talking extrovert then that seems pretty cool to me.

"Bond, CSY Bond, the pleasure is all mine. Ladies, all aboard!"
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 11:19   #58

Boat: C-350 X-Factor
Single Handling-Mooring Pickup

While i read a number of docking tips, see very little written pertaining to picking up a mooring solo. I, for one, could use some insight here.

Thanks.
allsail68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 11:23   #59
Armchair Bucketeer

What sort of Mooring?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 11:36   #60

Boat: C-350 X-Factor
Not the ones off a dock. What u find in harbors, etc. Mooring ball, etc.
allsail68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
singlehanding