Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2021, 05:14   #76

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Singlehanded full night sleep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
First fact: at 400nm from the nearest land there is no commercial shipping simply because ships don’t go on routes that don’t go to a port and in that part of the Indian Ocean there are no shipping routes.

AIS track density maps would say otherwise
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IndianOcean.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	231652  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 05:21   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
That's because folks mistakenly assume daylight means other boats can see you much better and avoid you.. assuming they are not all down below having cheese n wine..
Trouble is fully crewed boats make the same assumption..
Exactly. In fact for large ships it's often easier to spot them at night since the lights are more visible than the superstructure against a hazy horizon in the daytime.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 06:50   #78

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
I don’t admire single-handed sailors, I think they’re all a bunch of total whack-jobs.

I couldn't disagree more. Some of the most interesting folks I've ever met and spent time with were single handers.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 07:06   #79

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
Thinking outside the box, considering how many people have dogs on boats, I wonder if it would be possible to train a dog to bark when it heard/saw/felt a nearby ship? I bet they can hear the sound of engines through the water pretty far off. Sure would be handy to have a dog on watch! Never heard of such a thing, though, so...
An old, salty sea dog - for sure... [emoji12]
Old 31-01-2021, 11:01   #80

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post

I couldn't disagree more. Some of the most interesting folks I've ever met and spent time with were single handers.
A huge amount of whack-jobs are interesting people. I never said they were boring.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 13:49   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
>
Quote:
I don’t admire single-handed sailors, I think they’re all a bunch of total whack-jobs.

I guess it depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is" ?

Frequently a "whack job" is "interesting"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 16:56   #82

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The notion that singlehanders are all cuckoo, imho, is incorrect, it misses the realities. IME, many of them are previously partnered men who still want to go to sea and to sail. Only a few of them are just alone because, like Garbo, they "want to be alone."

They accept a higher risk level than a couple sailing together. (I'm the 6 hrs. on/off kid); that watch schedule has seen us well for thousands of miles, now. We taught our bodies to do it, and they oblige. Doublehanding is really different from singlehanding, because there is someone with you to share the antics of the sea creatures, the sunrise and sunsets, it is much less lonely.

If you cruise a lot, you'll notice what Jim and I call singlehanders disease: they'll talk your ears off. Maybe we humans, like other herd animals, need social contact. It's not an easy lot, being a singlehander.

Ann
Old 31-01-2021, 21:40   #83

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

It’s interesting that any rime the subject comes up for discussion amongst the boat owners I meet, it’s a very polarising topic.

When people discover that I mainly sail solo it’s like they fall into one of three camps:

The first group look either aghast, concerned or even scornful. Mostly they consist of a type that sail on well crewed racing boats, usually they are not boat owners themselves or own only very small boats or power boats. They’ll often kindly offer to crew for me or dream up solutions to my perceived “problem” either in the form of crewing web site recommendations or passage planning a trip for me in short hops.

The next group are those that are totally comfortable with the concept. These are mostly 60+ y.o. males, usually very well travelled themselves and are often the sort of easy going, unflappable type that did yacht deliveries when they were younger and in some cases are still doing them as a sort of hobby/favour for a friend mode. These guys don’t even offer a suggestion on how I should sail, knowing full well that we all need to find our style.

But the third group are by far the most interesting. They are mostly men, mostly married, mostly have kids, they tend to own their own reasonably modern and capable sailing boats and almost always go very quiet when the topic is being discussed. Later on they’ll sidle over to me and ask a lot of very penetrating questions, usually in a furtive manner away from their partners.

I find this segregation all pretty self explanatory really.

But hey, apparently I’m a whack job, so what would I know?
Old 01-02-2021, 04:41   #84
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
It’s interesting that any rime the subject comes up for discussion amongst the boat owners I meet, it’s a very polarising topic.

When people discover that I mainly sail solo it’s like they fall into one of three camps:

The first group look either aghast, concerned or even scornful. Mostly they consist of a type that sail on well crewed racing boats, usually they are not boat owners themselves or own only very small boats or power boats. They’ll often kindly offer to crew for me or dream up solutions to my perceived “problem” either in the form of crewing web site recommendations or passage planning a trip for me in short hops.

The next group are those that are totally comfortable with the concept. These are mostly 60+ y.o. males, usually very well travelled themselves and are often the sort of easy going, unflappable type that did yacht deliveries when they were younger and in some cases are still doing them as a sort of hobby/favour for a friend mode. These guys don’t even offer a suggestion on how I should sail, knowing full well that we all need to find our style.

But the third group are by far the most interesting. They are mostly men, mostly married, mostly have kids, they tend to own their own reasonably modern and capable sailing boats and almost always go very quiet when the topic is being discussed. Later on they’ll sidle over to me and ask a lot of very penetrating questions, usually in a furtive manner away from their partners.

I find this segregation all pretty self explanatory really.

But hey, apparently I’m a whack job, so what would I know?
Well the story of my life, I don't fit exactly into any of the above categories but then I was always the black sheep in my family and probably by family standards a bit of a whack job.

On one hand I do believe that singlehanding violates Colregs both in the letter and spirit of the law.

However with one of the various methods of watchkeeping discussed and especially with modern electronics I think the risk both to the singlehander and to others is manageable, extremely minimal and reasonable.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:44   #85
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbeen View Post
Off shore I always slept during the day, when I expected to be seen. Never slept at night. Spent most nights sitting in the companionway reading. It was also my time to do time consuming things like bread making.

Can't have been too bad a system, as I am still here after 53,000 nautical miles.

damn good plan
Old 01-02-2021, 05:44   #86

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

You can sleep during the night if the weather permits and you stay adrift, so you don't hit something around by accident, you light up the boat to be visible and maybe signal out of command two red lights in addition to the nav lights, make sure you transmit AIS too. During the day you can use two black spheres for the same reason... Run your electronics with safe zones for AIS, RADAR and keep the VHF on just in case. On the ocean far from any shore and main traffic areas, it is quite safe to do so.

This is well within COLREGS btw.

On other conditions or if you intent sailing and sleeping, 15..30min are the limit to check the surrounding and continue to sleep. AIS gives you almost an hour ahead time, Radar in good conditions about 40 minutes from first warning to a close approach to react.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:28   #87

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
The notion that singlehanders are all cuckoo, imho, is incorrect, it misses the realities. IME, many of them are previously partnered men who still want to go to sea and to sail. Only a few of them are just alone because, like Garbo, they "want to be alone."

They accept a higher risk level than a couple sailing together. (I'm the 6 hrs. on/off kid); that watch schedule has seen us well for thousands of miles, now. We taught our bodies to do it, and they oblige. Doublehanding is really different from singlehanding, because there is someone with you to share the antics of the sea creatures, the sunrise and sunsets, it is much less lonely.

If you cruise a lot, you'll notice what Jim and I call singlehanders disease: they'll talk your ears off. Maybe we humans, like other herd animals, need social contact. It's not an easy lot, being a singlehander.

Ann
6 on/off is prettty good. Had a capt. who loved the 4. Not enough time to do anything useful, like sleep till rotation came around and you got more.
Talkative? Perhaps, but it ain't me.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:50   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
You can sleep during the night if the weather permits and you stay adrift, so you don't hit something around by accident, you light up the boat to be visible and maybe signal out of command two red lights in addition to the nav lights, make sure you transmit AIS too. During the day you can use two black spheres for the same reason... Run your electronics with safe zones for AIS, RADAR and keep the VHF on just in case. On the ocean far from any shore and main traffic areas, it is quite safe to do so.

This is well within COLREGS btw.
That is not true.

NUC means that exceptional circumstances prevent the vessel for maneuvering. It does nt mean no one is in charge.

Quote:
Exceptional circumstances are: steering gear failure, engine failure, electrical supply system failure, fire, flooding, uncontrollable cargo shifting and stability issue.
https://www.ecolregs.com/index.php?o...bility%20issue.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:13   #89
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Singlehanded full night sleep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

Ann
Talking people's ears off.??? Dunno, you'll have to ask Wottie or Jedi, two members who know me..
I don't consider myself a great conversationalist in general but can be provoked into the odd rant now and then..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 13:27   #90

Boat: Cheoy Lee PH43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Howard View Post
We met a couple from England in their early 70's while we were in the Pacific Ocean while on our circumnavigation. He had heart problems and did not want to stress himself and she was not strong, but they were determined to sail around the world.
They shared watches during the day and into the evening. At bedtime they reduced sail and hove-to and both went to bed and slept through the night. In the morning they got up and continued sailing.
We met them in several islands and countries, it took them longer to make the passages but they did circumnavigate the world and greatly enjoyed doing it.
I think I knew those people. Saw them in NZ & Vanuatu. I believe they had a bilge keel Waterwitch! She told me that crossing the Pacific they ran out of food and only had olives left. She added “and we don’t like olives!”
Miraculously they came across another yacht that gave them provisions.
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single