Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2005, 15:48   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
To touch on your points, if you size a boat by displacement the longer boat of equal displacment should be as easy to handle and similarly if the longer and shorter boat were of equal weight the 130 % genoa on the bigger boat would be the same size as the smaller boat, but the working platform would be more steady.

Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 18:56   #32

Boat: currently "on the beach"
agreed - the 36 footer was substantially heavier so the genoa was much larger. heavier also means harder to handle in close quarters. in my opinion, so does longer, even when same displacement, but not as bad, and both combined are alot for a newer sailor. capt. lust's prior experience in power cruisers (didn't tell us the length or displacement) should be a real benefit in determining how much boat he is comfortable in driving.
as an aside - my boat went from the sellers mooring to marina toady (5 miles) for a few repairs, and engine overheated. now that is a short honeymoon, and i wasn't even there. probably just as well. now i remeber cruisers. capt. lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 19:01   #33

Boat: currently "on the beach"
so to answer Wanderlust's question - When does boat size become a handful?- As soon as you close the sale. Capt. Lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 20:45   #34

sailing where

Just an observation
Wanderlust will be sailing out of Sydney - where in sydney is he planning on sailing out of the heads most of the time will he be sailing in Botany Bay. Hawkbury River or where ever
Where i an getting to is that there is a hell of a lot of water with different sea conditions, some skinny water and in some places trafic can he heavy. A boat that is fine on the open waters outside the heads may be very difficult to single hand within the harbour, and given that he has indicate a tendenct to sea sickness he may spend a lot of time in protected water.

The second and related observation is the effect of location on draft as it relates to handling and boat sise and keel design.
Just questions no answers

Paul
boredinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 14:51   #35

Boat: Corsair 24, Creekmore 40
Before I was married, I singlehanded my 40' 28,000 lb Creekmore 40. I'd say the hardest part on a larger vessel is docking and getting the ground tackle up (without an electric windlass). It's very important to plan your actions before you do them. Have all lines ready to go at all times.

I don't think a furling main ever crossed my mind. Full battens and lazy jacks are the way to go.
Hank on jib wasn't too bad either. The worst part was changing jibs offshore when it was rough.
Usually I just dropped and secured the jib and sailed under reefed main and staysail. The roller furling does get the sail out of the way when anchoring.

A good autopilot is important. A windvane is nice to have too but often can't be set up in an instant.
A vessel that balances easily makes things much easier. Before I had an autopilot I could let go of the helm for long periods of time and she'd sail straight.

You will never find single line reefing on any boat I own.

These days I have an electric windlass, roller furling, and a wonderful wife (who used to be a singlehander herself).
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote