Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2017, 16:10   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Slow-boating through the Canal

I'm trying to prepare for my upcoming transit through the Panama Canal, and heard that when previous owners of my boat took her around the world in the 80s, they lied to the authorities saying they could make 6kts when they knew they couldn't. Eventually they convinced their pilot to let them sail along side the prescribed course, as they could make better speed that way, but eventually they had to anchor in the lake over night.

I know I can't make 5kts, perhaps if my engine is at full power and I have a following current, but that's not an option. How common is it for boats to be allowed to anchor overnight in the lake? Is my only other option to pay for a tow?
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 16:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Slow-boating through the Canal

it used to be quite common for boats to stop overnight in the lake,we stopped 2 nights on one transit due to the engine getting hydro locked (due to the difference in bouyancy of freshwater causing it to flood) the pilot turned up but left as we couldn't get the engine started,cost us $300 for re scheduling .
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 16:36   #3

Most small boats transiting from Panama City to Colon that I have been on ended up overnighting in Gatun Lake. It’s easy to get delayed getting into the locks going up and thus getting to the other side too late to conveniently lock down.
svinshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 16:41   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Depending upon schedule its quite common for small boats to stop in Lake Gatun. All 3 transits Ive done, we moored in Lake Gatun...side too a big ass ship mooring. Some bigger commercial traffic stops in the lake too.

I think the new requirements are 8 knots, which not many cruising boats will do under power...its not enforced or tested.

Sailing is not really an option. Its not allowed for one and the canal is not exactly good sailing conditions...being down in a trench or locks much of the time.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 16:47   #5

About 10 years ago, I was on one boat where we did motor sail from Gamboa to Gatun. Winds about 20 and we easily did 7+ knots. We still ended up spending the night at Gatun. It was fun, but don’t count on sailing as an option or something that will improve your overall transit time.
svinshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 16:55   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

We only did 5 or so. It's not an issue unless you break down. As long as the adviser can get home that evening all is well.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 09:06   #7

Boat: Catalina 375

When I went thru over 10 years ago, we anchored over night and the pilots left us at anchor in a remote part of Gatun. We were told we took a short cut for non commercial boats. Swam ( Although I wondered about crocodiles) and fished. I seem to remember the fish we caught being peacock bass. we were well out of the main channel. Very pleasant.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 10:58   #8

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

When we went through in 2012, we spent the night on a mooring in Lake Gatun, and finished the transit the next day. Since the new locks opened, though, I think everything has changed.

A close friend of ours is a just-retired canal transit advisor, so I'll ask him what the new procedures are.
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 11:26   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardbeg View Post
When I went thru over 10 years ago, we anchored over night and the pilots left us at anchor in a remote part of Gatun. We were told we took a short cut for non commercial boats. Swam ( Although I wondered about crocodiles) and fished. I seem to remember the fish we caught being peacock bass. we were well out of the main channel. Very pleasant.
Yikes! There are loads of crocs in Gatun!

😲
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 12:42   #10

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

OK, my friend Mac, the former canal advisor, says things are still the same. Cruising boats still overnight on Lake Gatun at the mooring near the Gatum locks, and finish the transit the next day.

He's happy to offer any advice or help. His new job post-retirement is still with boats transiting the canal. Elvir (Mac) MacMillan at +507-314-4348, or elvir.macmillan@imd.com.pa
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 12:52   #11

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

We transited the Canal in 2011. I seem to remember that boats from the Caribbean to the Pacific made the trip in one day, but those going from the Pacific took two days. That was the norm, but not always the case.

Your adviser will tell you when you will stop, and where.

I remember being asked if we could make 8 knots and I said (of course) YES. As someone else has said, things have changed since we made our transit with the new locks open.

Best of luck.

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 13:59   #12

Boat: Outbound 44

I've down 8 transits on handline vessels. Only one of them did we go straight through, arriving in the Pacific at about 3am. All the others we moored or anchored in Lake Gatun. This has little to do with your boat speed, as it is much more dependent on lock scheduling and direction. On one passage an advisor allowed us to unroll some headsail for one stretch, but you cannot count on using sails. It is more important that your mechanicals can do continuous duty and make it through the transit without failing rather than how fast you can go. The costs are high if you have mechanical break downs. They can't afford to have you blocking large ship transits.
Speed is really discussed in two cases. During your measurement days prior to your transit you will enter your boat speed on the form. I would enter the max of 6 kts. Then each time an advisor boards your boat you will have a conversation covering any vessel issues. At that point tell him how fast you want to go, say for example 5kts. He may grimace a little, but they just want to get the boat through with no drama so are willing to work with you to avoid breakdowns.
If you can't make at least 5kts in reality, then I'd say you have a problem. Boats can be towed through, but that can be very expensive.
Old 17-10-2017, 18:22   #13

Whats it costing nowadays,,,for a 40 footer
mayberrybfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 18:30   #14

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayberrybfd View Post
Whats it costing nowadays,,,for a 40 footer
About $800 USD for under 50 ft. A great deal.
Old 17-10-2017, 20:05   #15

Boat: Lagoon 450

In Jan 17 we went thru the canal, north to south, and overnight at Gatun Lake. Friends off ours on their Wharram cat, a few days later, couldn't make the 6kts requirement and arranged their outboard to give them the extra propulsion if needed. In the end it was not asked for or needed.

The requirement is for a good reason: to keep up with commercial ships or to get out of their way. It will be dependent on how busy it is when you enter. The 'ad-measurer' will audit for this when he visits your boat.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boating, canal