Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2021, 12:35   #31

Boat: 28 bristol channel cutter
Re: Snake on a boat

While pulling up the anchor in a patch of sea grass one evening,(here in Fiji) my wife started jumping around on deck and screaming. I was in the cockpit starting the engine etc. Thinking her behavior was a bit weird I went forward to find a dozen baby black and white sea snakes all over the deck. You know the ones, if you get bit you got 3 minutes to review your life before it's over!
doug cusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 13:13   #32

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Most snakes can swim so "how" they get on your boat is likely not the most puzzling part. Reminds me of the Peter Ustinov production of "Death on the Nile". To quote the steward - "Oh golly, oh cripes, a snake in a First Class Cabin!".
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 13:36   #33

Boat: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
There are no poisonous snakes, just venomous (you can drink venom unharmed)
Problem is snakes often put in in you muscle or your mouth,anyway I wouldn’t want to drink drink venom to find out!
There are no bad snakes… even the venomous snakes are good snakes
Until you accidentally corner them and they bite ( some snakes get viscous and strike out when you surprise them normally,but the problem is your usually surprised too) most places have anti venom for venomous snakes in their area if you can get to them quickly enough.

Some of the Aussie snakes are so quick that most people couldn’t out run them if they came for you and you can’t take your eye off them even for a second or you will never find them again.

We get lots of snake bites here but very few deaths.
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 13:38   #34

You guys are all missing the boat here, so to speak. The snake aboard is probably why there are no mice, rats, etc. Every boat should have one or two. Decline applications from the venomous ones.
capnjack.morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 14:51   #35

Boat: Camano 31, Troll

About 20 years ago we were in Club Nautico in Cartagena and someone came on the morning net to inquire if anyone knew how to rid a boat of a large snake without hurting the snake. Later we were told that all of the marinas have palapas (open structures with palm leaves thatched roofs) and keep large snakes in the roof to keep down the mice. Mice are warm and fuzzy, but snakes are not. Go figure which you prefer.
sailduggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 15:36   #36

A real pain in the asp.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 15:59   #37

Just NOPE! Grew up in east Texas. Lots of creeks, swamps and waaay to many snakes. Timber rattlers, Copper Heads, Coral Snakes, and of course Water Moccasins. I’ve personally found those dang things in all kinds of scary places, including in low branches in waterous areas. I have no doubt of their ability to negotiate dock lines, or climb up sugar scoop steps onto a boat - IF it interested them. That said, I think I’ve had the crap scared out of me more times by the frigging rat snakes. Black and fairly large like Water Moccasins, they are fast and I’ve found them aggressive despite claims that they aren’t. But maybe I was just in their way?!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 17:12   #38

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
A venomous snake wrapped around your wife's leg might not belong in the "good" category .
That would of course depend on whether or not you have insurance on her and it's up to date.
Old 25-10-2021, 00:06   #39

Boat: Young 42

I sail mostly in the tropics, where we encounter "banded kraits" aka sea snakes often enough. Though their bite contains one of the strongest venom types of any snake, but their mouths are small, and the teeth far in the back. They are only a danger if you get your finger way back inside. Also, in the water, they are fairly timid. I have even handled them in the water, by holding them at the neck and allowing them to curl around my arm while scuba diving.

However, I have heard that on land or on a boat (In some places where they're abundant, you might find that one has boarded your dinghy while ashore.) they are dangerous, because they are out of their natural element, and hence more aggressive!
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 02:11   #40
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
A venomous snake wrapped around your wife's leg might not belong in the "good" category .
They never do that. We give them their space and they do the same for us. A snake will never come up your leg unless it is for stealing your food or escaping something.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 02:54   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
They never do that. We give them their space and they do the same for us. A snake will never come up your leg unless it is for stealing your food or escaping something.
My real world example shows that this is not always true.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 04:22   #42

Boat: Grand banks 32' Classic

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1635160599.309587.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	247350

Brown watersnake crawled up the lazarette coping drain in Chesapeake, VA, probably would have died here if I hadn’t come to do some work. Dinghied back to the boat while anchored in Fairlee Creek off the Chesapeake Bay to find a large garter snake slithering up onto the swim platform and woulda been aboard because we’d left the tuna door open.
rolandcavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 05:05   #43

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

As a young environmentalist I brought all manner of animals aboard my parents boat. Figures, it was the snakes that escaped below deck. Took a week to catch them all. Afterwards mother banned snakes onboard.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 07:19   #44
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
My real world example shows that this is not always true.
The chair in the river? I’m sure it was either a predator in the water that it tried to escape or the wife was eating something the snake fancied. One thing is sure: the snake was not attacking

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 07:59   #45

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:

Behavior varies widely by species.

Tags
boat