Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2011, 07:43   #226
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: So . . . How Was Your Sail Today ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Vikingo View Post
Did some sailing in the sun yesterday here in Copenhagen, Denmark. Temperature around 10 degrees and the water 8 degrees ...... Brrrrrrr

Made a small video:
Beautiful Day, sailing in Copenhagen on Vimeo

I'm resisting the urge to sail my boat until it has a rudder.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 07:45   #227

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Did some sailing in the sun yesterday here in Copenhagen, Denmark. Temperature around 10 degrees and the water 8 degrees ...... Brrrrrrr

Made a small video:

Nice Video. I think you picked a good song for it too.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 08:57   #228

Did some more sailing this Saturday. Now even colder than the last time. Around 6 degrees celcius....brrrr

We sailed in the channels(canals ??) of Copenhagen.

Made a small video of it:
Copenhagen channels in november on Vimeo
El Vikingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 09:41   #229
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Was out on the Chessie Sunday aboard a friend's Ericson 38. Gusting to 20kts. Shoulda put a reef in the main, but didn't. Fun and not too chilly!
Old 14-11-2011, 11:11   #230

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I went out solo sailing on Friday in breezes between 12 and 25kt's with full main and full 150% jib. I had a blast feathering into the breeze on a broad reach and current of 2kt+ up the Columbia river on Lake Wallula. On the gust's I would hit 9.2 kt's and then slow down to about 5Kts in the 12 kt breeze going up stream and after about 15 miles I sailed back down stream to the marina and got about 11kt's max on the gusts. sv We Be Jammin only healed around 5 deg maybe 7deg max. The wind fetch was about 100 yards so little or no wind waves sence the breeze was out of the south and the river is east and west. I really needed a rush and it did the trick. Total time sailing about 4 hours, and I was really tired after being on my toes soloing because the otto pilot didn't work with the gusts in the narrow channels.
Old 14-11-2011, 11:30   #231

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Was out on the Chessie Sunday aboard a friend's Ericson 38. Gusting to 20kts. Shoulda put a reef in the main, but didn't. Fun and not too chilly!
We had a nice sail to St Michael's Saturday from HHS. Made it in just under 4 hours, not bad- especially when you consider we have to "reef for kids". There weren't a lot of folks out on Saturday, but was glad to see more out on Sunday. Sunday was beautiful but unfortunately we did more motoring than I liked because we needed to get back home and winds were on the nose for a good bit of the way. Still a nice weekend, though! Thinking of heading up to Baltimore Inner Harbour over Thanksgiving depending on the weather/winds.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 13:32   #232

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:

Made a small video:
Welcome to the forum.
Enjoyed the clip.
What camera do you use?

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 15:18   #233

Boat: Seafarer 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Vikingo
Did some more sailing this Saturday. Now even colder than the last time. Around 6 degrees celcius....brrrr

We sailed in the channels(canals ??) of Copenhagen.

Made a small video of it:
Copenhagen channels in november on Vimeo
Great video. Way to cold for this florida kid
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 03:14   #234

Boat: Swan 56

it was good

bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 05:45   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond

Welcome to the forum.
Enjoyed the clip.
What camera do you use?
Hi and thanks

Im using a camera called GoPro HD in wideangle mode.
El Vikingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 13:55   #236

Boat: Beneteau 393

Had a fantastic sail this weekend, heading from HHS to Annapolis and back. Downwind on the northbound leg, and a nice beat heading back home with good winds but minimal chop. We were the only ones on a mooring ball in Annapolis (#1). Since there was no one around we got to simply sail off our mooring. We also took a dinghy ride up to Truxton Park, which had a nice place to park the dinghy. Of course the kids insisted on ice cream in spite of the fall weather. Sunday was amazingly warm. A great weekend all around!

Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3(1).jpg
Views:	176
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	33885   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4(1).jpg
Views:	159
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	33886  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(4).JPG
Views:	191
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	33887  
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 14:09   #237

Yesterday's sail was foggy. First time we've actually been in fog so thick we lost visibility beyond 200 yards at times. Spooky.

Old 22-11-2011, 13:18   #238

Boat: Seafarer 26
Absolutely perfect. I took a newbie out in the bay with me. 8 to 12 knots. Sunny and 75 degrees. Pod of 20 dolphins played on both sides of the boat for awhile.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 18:31   #239
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Last passage race of the year...

Lots of rain in the morning, considered not going but seemed like plenty of wind and I was crewing with a friend so out I go. He is not the most experienced and has asked me to be on board a while to give some tips. We were effectively 3 up with 2 "passengers."

Waited out a squall and got on the boat. Passage races are spinnaker races for us so we rigged the spinnaker for the option. We talked about not flying it if conditions were over 15 knots.

Start was about 15 seconds late, my bad timing and we were 5th of 6 over the line on a port close reach. I work with the trimmer (owners wife) to get the genny nice and trimmed the main. We settled in at about 6.2 knots in about 15kts of breeze. With gusts we were overpowered at times and I played the mainsail continuously to reduce weather helm and avoid rounding up.

The course was basically a long sausage. Head east, slight southerly turn, another southerly turn, a rounding and straight back. A one tack race. With northeast winds at the start we all expected a spin run coming back but the wind clocked left all day and that's not what we got (of course).

At the first waypoint we bore off to a beam reach, retrimmed and settled in at 7.2 knots in 15g20. We started to reel in the two boats ahead. One was a race boat with a 69 handicap against our 82 and the other was "our" comptetition at 79. I so badly wanted to roll the race boat as they were way overpowered with their big rig and seemingly having trouble keeping the boat on its feet. Definitely they were carrying too much sail.

However we got within about 6 boat lengths upwind of them but ran out of time and they pull a few hundred meter gap. The wind had clocked northerly so the spin run was gonna be this leg at the next course change -you take what you get. I rerigged for port pole and we talked about the wind, number of people we had and how to handle the spin.

Then, holy crap! The race boat popped their spin and immediately broached big time. The bow buried, plenty of keel showing to us as the rounded up to port and went completely head to wind and out of control. Our "competition" did not set a spinnaker. Hmmm...

We are 3 up, one boat broaches another doesn't set. I reckon we got 15g20 and plenty of room downwind. We talk it over and decide God hates a coward. I advise the skipper to ignore the mark and go about 30* downwind. We pop the chute and get under it. Furl the genny and start sheeting and heading up to see i fwe can fetch the mark and stay in control. We end up sailing about 120-140* in good control and heading at the mark with 8+kts boat speed. I did not want to be reaching with the spinnaker with that crew in that wind. Everyone was going fast but we were going fastest. We rolled both boats easily with an air of smugness as we flew the kite while they didn't - ha!

Our drop was slow and safe and as uncomlicated as I could make it. In the bar the other guys critiqued our slow drop, too late and slow deployment of the gennie. I just asked, "how was your spin drop, I didn't see it cuz I was in front of you. Oh, no spin drop? No spin set? Oh, that explains it." such is the banter in the bar...

Our rounding sucked. We tangled the genny on the spin pole during the tack (my bad storing of the pole) and almost hit the mark as we lost all boat speed. Our first mistake but an ok one. Now we are close hauled on starboard and one thing that race boat does is point like a mutha. Over the next 40 minutes he left us in the dust but being at the halfway way point with him basically means he is no factor in "our" race. We killed him on handicap with the reach and spin run.

As we reenter the first channel a huge storm bears on us. We decide not to short sails but play the main. We get a good 20 minute thrashing with a gazillion gallons of water. 20g30 and lots of playing the main but we are hauling butt. It soon dries but our competitor is now closing on us.

Then the competition boat rolls us and is pointing higher. My skipper is pinching and losing speed and I keep hassling him to bear away and keep boat speed. After all the drama of the run and rain, I am hydrating (with a well deserved beer) and it takes 20 minutes for the cluebird to land on my shoulder. If we are getting 5 1/2 knots and can't point with that guy its my fault! Having wasted 20 minutes we are in serious doubt of making our channel entrance and a tack may be required. Not good.

I analyze the main and realize I am way undersheeted and twisted off (the rermains of storm management) - I get the main squared away and we get 15 degrees higher. The channel tack is still in doubt but as we get close to shore we get a nice lift and make the corner. We bear away to close reach and it's all over but the singing. Except...

Of course all this thunderstorm energy has to end eventually. With 300 meters to go the wind dies. Competition crosses at 2:50. He owes us some time but not much. We switch to light air mode and ghost across at 2:56.

Move to the bar. Racing skipper catches all kinds of hell for his broach and suffers the embarassment of last place. Ah, sweet justice. We beat competitor by 12 seconds corrected. Our spin run saved the day and covered our two main mistakes. We end up on the podium in 3rd. First place was a 20 ton steel cruising boat with a 100 handicap. Beat us by ten minutes corrected. Everyone hates his handicap. Second went to an IOR one tonner with a great skipper. We didn't see much of him after the start. He smoked. He even hit the top mark and did his turn. He beat us by 5 minutes and never flew a spinnaker either!

So on this day there was no way we could have sailed 5 minutes faster, forget 10 minutes. A podium finish on the last race of the year is decent. My skipper acted like he won the Americas Cup and I didn't pay for any beers in the bar. Good enough for me!

Just a fun day of sailing!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 15:53   #240

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Sounds great Ex.

Tags
sail