Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2021, 16:06   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: So I finally did it (step one)

Congrats on step 1
Old 16-05-2021, 17:02   #17

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Congrats on step 1
It's the only one that really matters, Sailorboy. Everything else is b**&***
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 19:20   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hi bud, I noticed your thread but didn't really have anything useful to say. I think your plans and your budget are great. You say your monthly maintenance/upkeep budget is $3k. Is this on top of the standard living budget? If so... can I trade my money for yours ?

Seriously though, $3k is more than enough in my world. As you know, I (we) have about 1/2 of that to maintain our lifestyle. So your budget sounds wonderfully comfortable.

I'm with you on the personal status of your #4. That's why books like Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual are rarely far from my grasp. Heck, I even carry around the digital version on my iPad.

One thing my spouse and I did to address this shortcoming was to take a three-day marine diesel course. It was hands-on, and really useful for those of us whose technical acumen is sorely lacking .

But to be honest, what skills I now have (which are few) have mostly been acquired one problem at a time. In other words, I learn a little more each time I'm faced with a new problem... with the diesel, or the electrical, or the plumbing or propane or refrigeration or leaks or rigging or ... well, you get the picture .

Home port really depends on the cruising lifestyle you seek. I gather you prefer to stay away from crowded urban blight. Canada has those places on the eastern side of North America, but then you have to contend with a thing call winter. I love being in Newfoundland and the Maritimes in general, but my long-term vision (not really a plan yet) is to get over to the west coast.

If I were starting out today, with no limitation, I'd choose the west coast.
Old 16-05-2021, 21:37   #19

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Hi bud, I noticed your thread but didn't really have anything useful to say. I think your plans and your budget are great. You say your monthly maintenance/upkeep budget is $3k. Is this on top of the standard living budget? If so... can I trade my money for yours ?

Seriously though, $3k is more than enough in my world. As you know, I (we) have about 1/2 of that to maintain our lifestyle. So your budget sounds wonderfully comfortable.

I'm with you on the personal status of your #4. That's why books like Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual are rarely far from my grasp. Heck, I even carry around the digital version on my iPad.

One thing my spouse and I did to address this shortcoming was to take a three-day marine diesel course. It was hands-on, and really useful for those of us whose technical acumen is sorely lacking .

But to be honest, what skills I now have (which are few) have mostly been acquired one problem at a time. In other words, I learn a little more each time I'm faced with a new problem... with the diesel, or the electrical, or the plumbing or propane or refrigeration or leaks or rigging or ... well, you get the picture .

Home port really depends on the cruising lifestyle you seek. I gather you prefer to stay away from crowded urban blight. Canada has those places on the eastern side of North America, but then you have to contend with a thing call winter. I love being in Newfoundland and the Maritimes in general, but my long-term vision (not really a plan yet) is to get over to the west coast.

If I were starting out today, with no limitation, I'd choose the west coast.
Thanks for the insights, Mike!

Yeah, sorry to say, $3k is above living expenses. I thought about what most people do, which is look at all the money they can muster, and price their purchase as that, and instead apportioned out what I'd need, and used that to come up with a purchase price. Rather than say, "I want a brand-new 40+ foot blue-water boat with laundry machine and air conditioner!"

There are lots of good-looking boats in the $100 k range. But no Rafikis that I could find...
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 17-05-2021, 03:41   #20

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
The guy, checking in with his usual wit+wisdom.

And this bird you cannot chayyyannge... nice boat, Freebird

i just found this. No heater, but "checks a lot of boxes"

https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/...-32rk-7279824/
Looks nice but the Bal/Disp is a bit lower due to keel type I'd guess.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/seaward-32rk

Do you really need a trailerable boat or did this one just happen to have a trailer?

There are tons of quiet anchorages along the bay and if you haven't done a lot of cruising you could speed a few months exploring it before heading out.

There are usually lots of boats for sale in the upper bay near and around Annapolis.

A guy, merchant Marine Officer, at my marina has one of these Pacific Seacrafts. He sold his Nor Sea 27 and bought one.

It's along the old school design and very seaworthy. (but slow and narrow)

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...ft-34-3509816/

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/pacific-seacraft-34

Usually Bay explorers prefer keels at 5' of less though.

I liked that "Freebird" had a tiller also. I haven't owned a sailboat with a wheel yet.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 03:52   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

Don’t listen to people behind the curtain.

Get a boat YOU like.
Old 17-05-2021, 04:59   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Looks nice but the Bal/Disp is a bit lower due to keel type I'd guess.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/seaward-32rk

Do you really need a trailerable boat or did this one just happen to have a trailer?
Good intel throughout, thanks! Truly, the Chesapeake looks like my kind of place.

The answer to your question is "just happens to have a trailer," which I wouldn't need, because I don't own a car. But it was just an example of something in my general wheelhouse, not something I'm ready to buy just yet.
Old 17-05-2021, 16:36   #23

Boat: Hunter 46

1) I feel like my purchase-to-outfit ratio is realistic, given that I'll likely end up buying used and 20 + years old. Do you? YES

2) Judging from budgets I've seen on this forum, that my monthly maintenance budget is realistic as long as I learn to repair things on my own and don't expect to live in expensive marinas. Am I out of my mind? NO, but YOUR ESTIMATE VERY HIGH unless that includes steak, lobster and fine wine every night.

3) Can't decide where to live. Candidates are the 1) Northeast U.S. coast, 2) the Salish Sea, 3) Chesapeake, 4) Sicily. 1 and 2 are great as long as you do not plan to sail 6 months a year. We sail year round in California.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 17:00   #24

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Hey DMF, if you are thinking a 35' boat I can think of no finer boat to steer you towards than a Spencer 35. The famed Hal Roth who wrote several cruising bibles sailed a S35, and as a Spencer 42 owner myself, I can say that the boys at Spencer boat works built a damn fine boat!

The best part is one in fine condition may be had for anywhere from 35-65k!

They are an older boat built in the 1960's and early 70's, more than 100 of the S35's were built, and many are still out sailing today including Roth's Whisper that has seen now several circumnavigations.

The best thing about it is that many of those boats from that era were way overbuilt, they are bomb proof compared to newer boats before the economies of scale took over when the industry moved from quality to quantity in the 70's and 80's.

There is also a Spencer Yacht Owners Group on Facebook that I help run if you have any more questions.
Old 17-05-2021, 18:01   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

there is a beautiful Morgan 41 Classic that has been well maintained in Kemah Tx. Those boats are not flashy but are well built and fairly simple. We looked hard at this model but decided it was a little small for us (2) and a 130 lb dog. - if i had to do it over again i might have gone with it - i am sure it is on Yachtworld. If not and you are at all interested call Little Yacht Sales in Keemah. (not connected with them in any way- i did buy my boat from them and was well treated) best of luck-- the classic is different from the 41 OI!
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 18:32   #26

Boat: Tartan 40

Given you are fairly new and like finding secluded places to anchor by yourself as well as close to port- I’d say the Chesapeake is for you. Pretty much all sand or mud so running aground is not dangerous, lots and lots of exploration with bigger water sailing on the Bay. We have a dozen + anchorages within a weekend sail where we can have an spot to ourselves even on a weekend. Only downside is heat and light wind in summer, and you’ll have to head south come
November unless you’re tougher than I.

As far as boats go- I wouldn’t listen to the full keel “bulletproof” crowd, or anti -production boat crowd.
Unless you know now that your main cruising will be offshore distance passages, any well designed boat in good condition will be fine for you. Buy what you love not what others tell you to love. And, don’t buy a project boat!!!!
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 19:23   #27

[QUOTE=sail sfbay;3409120]

2) Judging from budgets I've seen on this forum, that my monthly maintenance budget is realistic as long as I learn to repair things on my own and don't expect to live in expensive marinas. Am I out of my mind? NO, but YOUR ESTIMATE VERY HIGH unless that includes steak, lobster and fine wine every night.

you have to plan for the worst
Old 17-05-2021, 19:24   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegde_Sailor View Post
Hey DMF, if you are thinking a 35' boat I can think of no finer boat to steer you towards than a Spencer 35. The famed Hal Roth who wrote several cruising bibles sailed a S35, and as a Spencer 42 owner myself, I can say that the boys at Spencer boat works built a damn fine boat!

The best part is one in fine condition may be had for anywhere from 35-65k!

They are an older boat built in the 1960's and early 70's, more than 100 of the S35's were built, and many are still out sailing today including Roth's Whisper that has seen now several circumnavigations.

The best thing about it is that many of those boats from that era were way overbuilt, they are bomb proof compared to newer boats before the economies of scale took over when the industry moved from quality to quantity in the 70's and 80's.

There is also a Spencer Yacht Owners Group on Facebook that I help run if you have any more questions.
That's one fine looking boat. I've got nothing against the 60s, having been alive during them... Thanks for the idea!
Old 17-05-2021, 19:25   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
there is a beautiful Morgan 41 Classic that has been well maintained in Kemah Tx. Those boats are not flashy but are well built and fairly simple. We looked hard at this model but decided it was a little small for us (2) and a 130 lb dog. - if i had to do it over again i might have gone with it - i am sure it is on Yachtworld. If not and you are at all interested call Little Yacht Sales in Keemah. (not connected with them in any way- i did buy my boat from them and was well treated) best of luck-- the classic is different from the 41 OI!

Oh, I've run into that one in my shoppings...really nice. Probably a little more boat than I need on my lonesome, but worth another look for sure!
Old 17-05-2021, 19:31   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Given you are fairly new and like finding secluded places to anchor by yourself as well as close to port- I’d say the Chesapeake is for you. Pretty much all sand or mud so running aground is not dangerous, lots and lots of exploration with bigger water sailing on the Bay. We have a dozen + anchorages within a weekend sail where we can have an spot to ourselves even on a weekend. Only downside is heat and light wind in summer, and you’ll have to head south come
November unless you’re tougher than I.

As far as boats go- I wouldn’t listen to the full keel “bulletproof” crowd, or anti -production boat crowd.
Unless you know now that your main cruising will be offshore distance passages, any well designed boat in good condition will be fine for you. Buy what you love not what others tell you to love. And, don’t buy a project boat!!!!
Thanks, all good advice.

Definitely haven't ruled anything out, other than the two dozen or so 30-40' boats I've sailed. None of them was right, you know?

I'm not that new to sailing, unless 1968 = new. But I'm new to retirement and this iteration of owning, and new to the Chesapeake.

Given where I sail, the Chesapeake seems positively balmy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66C537F6-8377-4E2F-8DE4-2AC5BE87AA9E.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	238680