Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2021, 04:22   #46

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: So I finally did it (step one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
That number includes "rent", e.g. dockage or moorage....
We're paying $9/ft in my area (Hampton Roads) now for permanent dockage.

You can find cheaper rates further out of town.

If you could find a month to month marina, that would be good because you might be moving every few months.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 13:40   #47

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Quote:
That's one fine looking boat. I've got nothing against the 60s, having been alive during them... Thanks for the idea!

If you get one best to learn to keep the EGO in check around other sailors, she will point far higher to the wind than many other boats, and in heavy winds will outrun many modern fin keel boats because she can comfortably carry more sail.

I have made many another sailor shake their fist in the air at me tacking up a passage as I made way and they tacked back and forth until frustration set in and the resorted to pulling sails and motoring.

It is one thing to wound their pride, another to outright pour salt in it!
Old 19-05-2021, 22:35   #48

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
Bravo DMF! So glad to hear that you've gotten to the cusp of drinking in life!

i so admire people who really know how to sail and navigate. i am still learning that part... but all too slow over here (really not easy finding sailing here). and, as you may recall, i have focused on learning boat systems, repairing stuff (usually on the hard). the thing is, the more i learn about repair/maintenance, the more convinced i become about the importance of getting a really well-loved boat. so, please do look for a boat that is in really, really, really good condition. as in, totally loved.

your budget is great: you'd done your homework.

Boat types... Ok, here are a few off of the top of my head, mostly a bit smaller because i rarely look at boats over 33', just don't see them.

first off, someone suggested a southern cross: gorgeous boats, beautiful lines,... but the forward cabin is tiny-small. watch for mast compression, placement of the compression post, ahem...

Chuck Paine designed some great boats that were (later on) built in your area, think, called Morris Yachts. In Europe, they are called Victoria 34 and over there i think they are called Morris 34...?

here is a small Paine 30' NEAR YOU that i'd be alllllll over if i wasn't so far away.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...om-30-3571228/

Rare as hens teeth, but the Morris Able 34 is a super-well-built boat. just for peeks, this one that's for sale in San diego has been listed for something like four years:
https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/78749

This one is way over budget (but most go for muuuuch less): Mason 33 is a solidly-built classic as well ... but know that the fuel tanks are iron (bound to be corroded as they are nestled deep in the bilge) and to switch them out you are looking at 10k all said and done.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987/mason-33-3835214/

Not quite the same calibre, but the Alujeula 33 might strum your heart strings. there are none on the market right now, but there is an active owner's website. here's some pictures of one:
https://seattle.boatshed.com/alajuel...at-117732.html

and of course Perry boats are Perry boats. I've been a Baba--aholic for years, but the Valiant 32 is said to be a solid gal, a bit less romantic, more straight-forward. just look for a well-loved one. if you venture up the 36 mark, there is the Freedom 36, but look for corrosion to the compression post

Oh and the Passport 37, hard to find, but they'll blow your mind! if you pop up to the Passport 40, there are many out there, and these have gotten great sailing-enjoyment reviews. just watch those chainplate knees (the builder made them not straight...- against what Perry designed)

You are soooooo fortunate to be in the States! all those gorgeous boats over there... all those gorgeous boats!

hey, keep us posted! so excited for you!!!

wolfie
O, Wolfie, thank you. These are such great boats!
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 07:51   #49

I’m in a similar situation actually. I moved onboard fulltime on the Chesapeake Bag 3 years ago. It’s a great place to learn your craft. Large enough to explore for years, safe enough to practice sailing in all conditions (I’ve seen 20-30k winds) and absolutely FULL of experienced cruisers who share their know how.
Old 21-05-2021, 08:22   #50

Boat: 1990 Island Packet 32

Hi,
I am an early retiree (now 60), living aboard a 1990 Island Packet 32, on Puget Sound, in Olympia, Washington State.
Sound, safe boat. She's a cutter rig. I've single-handed her. I married 3 years ago; my partner is happy living on a 32' boat. 😁
Boats like her in the IP family are well within your price range, and well-suited for the sailing you're describing.
We love the Pacific Northwest. Check out all the state parks with marine access, including many small islands that can only be accessed by private boat. The San Juans of the Salish Sea are amazing, as is the quiet south Puget Sound area. And, of course, the Canadian Gulf Islands will be open to us again someday. There is also the Inside Passage to Alaska. I've not taken my boat that far north, yet. I've cruised for 2 weeks on a friends boat in SE Alaska and if you want truly quiet, nature, and solitude, that's the place (for the summer).
We get an annual state parks pass for buoys and docks at the parks; otherwise park buoys are $15/night. Of course you can anchor for free.
If you are shopping for an IP that was built prior to 1997, ask if the chainplates have been replaced. Longer explanation online, or ask. We replaced ours last year.
There are many ways to gain experience and new skills. For example, we have taken diesel engine classes, and we use Dennison Berwick's great book, Marine Diesel Basics and our Yanmar service manual as resources. We also have a great liveaboard community at our marina from whom we seek advice on projects.
If you have specific questions about Island Packets, living aboard, or the Salish Sea, please ask.
Congratulations on your retirement. Enjoy!
Old 21-05-2021, 09:35   #51

Boat: Tartan 34c

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Looks nice but the Bal/Disp is a bit lower due to keel type I'd guess.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/seaward-32rk

Do you really need a trailerable boat or did this one just happen to have a trailer?

There are tons of quiet anchorages along the bay and if you haven't done a lot of cruising you could speed a few months exploring it before heading out.

There are usually lots of boats for sale in the upper bay near and around Annapolis.

A guy, merchant Marine Officer, at my marina has one of these Pacific Seacrafts. He sold his Nor Sea 27 and bought one.

It's along the old school design and very seaworthy. (but slow and narrow)

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...ft-34-3509816/

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/pacific-seacraft-34

Usually Bay explorers prefer keels at 5' of less though.

I liked that "Freebird" had a tiller also. I haven't owned a sailboat with a wheel yet.
I owned a Pacific Seacraft 31 - build quality is up there with Swan. A great choice - might be a bit small - so the 34 or even the 37 would be great.

blcote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 10:19   #52

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

As a friend once pointed out to me a long ago that if you set up your cruiser like a racer it will be a very easy boat to handle. Just run everything to the cockpit. An example on my boat is the genoa cars. No pins, just lines to pull them forward and bungees pull them back. Nothing like easily keeping the sheeting angle correct without leaving the cockpit.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 15:29   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Instead of initial $100k and repair refit of $70 k and only end up with a 35 foot vessel I suggest the reverse.

In SE Asia a vessel closer to around 45 foot in decent condition will fetch about $70k and you will then have $100k to refit to a high standard in a location where refitting costs far less. Look specifically for ketches.

At the end of the day you would have a larger vessel with an easier to handle sail plan.
pbmaise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 20:05   #54

Boat: 2019 Tartan Fantail, Torqeedo Cruise 2 motor
Send a message via Skype™ to mghorton

Quote:
Good intel throughout, thanks! Truly, the Chesapeake looks like my kind of place.

The answer to your question is "just happens to have a trailer," which I wouldn't need, because I don't own a car. But it was just an example of something in my general wheelhouse, not something I'm ready to buy just yet.
Chesapeake is great, and usually lots of boats to choose from. However, the brokers have very few decent boats available right now. Market has gone crazy this past year
mghorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 03:59   #55

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mghorton View Post
Chesapeake is great, and usually lots of boats to choose from. However, the brokers have very few decent boats available right now. Market has gone crazy this past year

Have heard that too. A friend of mine wants to buy and cannot find a boat that isn’t already under contract
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 06:31   #56

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Have heard that too. A friend of mine wants to buy and cannot find a boat that isn’t already under contract
This pre-post-pandemic-pent-up demand should pass....shouldn't it?
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 06:53   #57

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
This pre-post-pandemic-pent-up demand should pass....shouldn't it?
My completely personal, biased, unresearched view is that there will be a great reset once the world returns to some semblance of normal.

Once travel and tourism opens up, most people will return to doing what they did before. At that point, a lot of Covid purchases will come back on the market, hopefully driving prices down, and availability up.

If I were contemplating a boat (or RV or recreational property) purchase I would wait till 2022, or maybe 2023.
Old 22-05-2021, 08:13   #58
CLOD

Boat: none

maybe I should sell my cruising fit out boat now instead of in 2-3 more years
Old 22-05-2021, 08:13   #59

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
maybe I should sell my cruising fit out boat now instead of in 2-3 more years

Bring it up to Annapolis now and name your price