Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 10:12   #46

Re: Solid/Bluewater Center Cockpit with modern interior?

The picture of the Modern aft cabin looks great for being tied to a dock, but really poor for a seagoing boat._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:42   #47

Boat: Newport 30 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrasnov View Post

some interior images of Bordeaux 60... yes, it can be done...
Pretty nice but yeah, I'd want some more obvious handholds and things a bit tighter down below for bracing while underway.

My guess is that the stylist who prepped the boat for the photo shoot wasn't particularly concerned with accentuating its blue water credentials. Hence the freestanding, non secured chair, the champagne bucket, etc.

Size wise, its way outta my league but I definitely like the look.
ColdCutterRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 13:12   #48

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCutterRig View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

Rustler is too old school inside and not ...

I really like the Oyster but ...

Najad are pretty expensive ...
1) Not a Hylas.

2) Sleek.

3) Modern interior.

4) Local.

5) 44 -46 cc?

Does such a boat exist? ;-)

You can perhaps have 4/5:

Passport (-3)
J (-5)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 13:17   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCutterRig

Pretty nice but yeah, I'd want some more obvious handholds and things a bit tighter down below for bracing while underway.

My guess is that the stylist who prepped the boat for the photo shoot wasn't particularly concerned with accentuating its blue water credentials. Hence the freestanding, non secured chair, the champagne bucket, etc.

Size wise, its way outta my league but I definitely like the look.
fully agree, this boat is marketed to admirals not sailors )))) was just demonstrating the styling. btw the french naval interior designers that did this just went out of business, guess lack of seagoing ergonomics thinking caught up with them
gkrasnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 15:28   #50

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
I have no experience of Delphia but every Australian review reveals that they are a very solid boat with robust, quality componentry at a very competitive price. Maybe that's a good place to start and with the sort of money your talking about your could change a few things around to suit yourself.
Yeah, but Greg, that's close to what EVERY Australian boat review says! There are NO bad boats built by advertisers...

Cheers,

Jim

PS ONly a week to go... getting excited?
Old 11-07-2012, 15:55   #51

Boat: Newport 30 MkII

Is anyone familiar with Southerly? Their new 420 looks quite nice. A swing keel was not on my wish list but I've got to admit it makes the kind of exploring I'd eventually want to do more of a possibility.

I also recently saw a writeup on Gunfleet - a new company started by one of the people from Oyster, I believe. Their 43 looks amazing but I've heard it's pricey, like nearly $1 million US for sailaway.
ColdCutterRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:15   #52

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCutterRig View Post
Is anyone familiar with Southerly? Their new 420 looks quite nice. (...)

I also recently saw a writeup on Gunfleet - (...)
Southerly long in existence and well established. Of the new ones I have seen two: a small one and a big one. The small one had issues. The big one was brand new and left me pretty cold - sort of just another EU DS production.

Do not expect too much from any off the mill boats - they all use the same CAD, the same solutions to the same issues, and the same hardware. If you go blindfolded into any of them and then look around - you cannot say what make of boat you are in. From the outside - you can - they have a sticker somewhere.

Gunfleet as you have said - new kids on the block. If any signed up for the ARC I will likely look at it.

? Have you looked at any of the Contests?

e.g. Contest Yachts | 45CS

They have long tradition, their s/h market is good and the new boats may deliver the combo of quality/sleek'ness' you are after.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:36   #53

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
Buy a great older boat for $200,000 and spend $20,000 to 40,000 on a complete interior redo. MUCH less than 7 figures.

Or, in this economy, a semi-custom might be more reasonable than you think. A builder like Morris or Hinkley may have something half way thru the pipeline that could be modified inside with little effort. Who is building the bets CC boat right now, regardless of interior design? ask them what it would take...
I am afraid that $40,000 is probably at best half of what one would have to pay to rebuild an interior of a boat over 40 ft. My two cents.
Old 13-07-2012, 07:34   #54

Boat: Bristol 41.1

I think that renovating a current boats dark wood interior would be very cost competitive, though the major design elements would have to remain in their basic form. But just the effect of the primary bulkheads being white would, I think, be striking.

One thing to remember is that the traditional yacht would (hopefully) concentrate on all the off-shore basics that some of the newer designs are ignoring. For example, there was a particular Najad referenced above. Beautiful boat, would love to own one, but not a sea berth to be found. And speaking of sea berths, I would strongly recommend that they be parallel with the centerline of the boat to avoid an uncomfortable yawing motion in a seaway. As for sleeping in the fwd cabin while underway, well...

I think you can also make a major visual difference with cushion fabrics and curtains, as well as with the horizontal surfaces such as the galley. Maybe rethink the saloon table arrangement.

Maybe get an interior decorator involved, preferably one with some sailing experience.

I think this would be an excellent project. Take pics and publish a make-over article for one of the mags (and for us at CF).

With the depressed used boat market there are many solid yachts going for a fraction of their replacement cost. This would also help the cruising kitty, as opposed to a new build.

Try to photoshop some interiors and see what you come up with.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 08:50   #55

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Hmm too bad the OP specified 41-46,it excludes this one;
2000 Bowman 48' Centre Cockpit Deck Saloon Sail Boat For Sale -

ticks a lot of boxes,costs about the same as a new Delphia 46

Cheers and you all have a nice weekend!!(I won't because the weather sucks completely overhere)
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 09:34   #56

The Norseman is a great boat, never thought of that option. As mentioned above, I've also thought that a pro paint job on a Taiwan boat (with the all teak vertical staving on the bulkheads) and painting those bulkheads a creamy white satin finish would look spctacular.... and be less of a cave...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 10:13   #57

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Inded, the Norseman 447 is a truly great boat, another gem in this line is the taswell 43.

Dont miss the Wauquiez 45 Amphritrite , this is a top quality very robust pilothouse to sail anywhere around the world in confort and safety, the only problem is few are build it and hard to found one in the used market,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vessel_24723.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	43387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vessel_24598.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	43388  

Name:	Vessel_24595.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	43389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vessel_24589.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	43390  

neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 10:24   #58

Oh Yeah... the Waquiez are really nice, glad you though of those. The Amphitrite is a 43 right?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 10:39   #59

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Oh Yeah... the Waquiez are really nice, glad you though of those. The Amphitrite is a 43 right?
Nop, is the Amphitrite 45 MS, i know the builder made probably 100 or 150 of this boats im not sure, i have a couple of friends sailing around the world in a 45 Ms , be in this boat for a while when this guys sail the caribbean i can say the quality is super, many come with a profurl electric furler and electric inmast furling , all from the cokpit with a joystick , probably this in the only thing i hate in this kind of boat , but the sailing perfomance in heavy airs is very good, have good tankage , the sailplan looks nice, the pilothouse is a must in foul weather, aft queen cabin is super, good gear, good construction, good engine room, lots of storage, and a modern underwater body . Her is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3421202d.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	43396  
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 12:20   #60

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
The saloon doesn't look very "bluewater" to me. Not a handhold in sight and a free standing chair in a mono?
I've no knowledge of a Bordeaux 60, but I am often amazed at what I see offerred as ocean going yachts by production builders, particularly owners staterooms in the bow. They sure look nice at the boatshow, but have you ever tried to sleep in the bow or even pull a pair of socks on at sea? I suggest you try this at sea in a the bow of a boat before you part with your cash. While you're there, try walking from the bow to the companionway without having decent handholds like the one in the picture. In even a moderate sea everyone, except the most agile will finish each trip with deep bruising on their thighs and hips from bashing into the furniture and that's the ones that managed to stay upright. Don't buy a cat either or you'll never develop the finer balance skills of the mono sailor.

Tags
center cockpit, cockpit, interior