Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2020, 17:03   #1

Boat: 1991 Island Packet 29
Solo Cape May to Montauk 30 Miles Offshore - Advice

I've been up and down the Jersey coast several times. Always two to five miles out and there's always plenty of traffic, especially if you're solo and have to keep a constant lookout. Getting rest is tough if not dangerous.

But I've never gone twenty or thirty miles straight out from Cape May and then headed north for the eastern tails of Long Island . Would that approach substantially cut down of traffic? I have Radar and a Class B AIS setup. Do the big fishing boats go out that far? Is that far enough offshore to cut down substantially on boat traffic?

Planned trip is in June or July.

Thanks.
Baysailor34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 18:58   #2

Re: Solo Cape May to Montauk 30 Miles Offshore - Advice

Understand, that this comes from somebody who feels claustrophobic if I am within 10 miles of land...

You will find less small boat traffic 30 miles out. But you should know that many of the commercial fishing boats work the edge of the continental shelf. We have run into large, dense, groups of scallop dredgers 100 miles offshore.

In general, the further offshore you go, the less you have to deal with. There is just less to run into. 5 miles offshore, especially single handing, is just too close for me!
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 19:02   #3

Boat: Maine Cat 38

If you left Cape May and set a course for Montauk or Block Island you will be quite alone for most of it. Obviously watch for the shipping coming out of New York. The freighters seem to follow predictable routes. The recreational fishermen are generally less than 5 miles out and generally clustered around charted reefs. The commercial fishermen range pretty far out, but there are not that many of them. It is clear that many off the small commercial fishermen and large recreational fishermen cannot be trusted to maintain a watch or deviate from their autopilot course. They may be short handed, like you propose to be.
Old 12-02-2020, 19:34   #4

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Dont worry so much about miles from shore. Go with the forecast. Continental shelf drops off at the canyons and there is a lot of fishing and a lot of shipping in and out of NY. You need to keep a lookout as best as you can. Singlehanding, i spend my time in the cockpit 24/7 with frequent power naps 5-10 minutes at a time and depending on what I get on AIS and radar. Ive done anywhere from few days up to 10 days with that pattern.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 08:39   #5

Only transited this area twice, but try to time crossing the traffic lane for NY harbor, which parallels Long Island, in daylight. Most ships seem to come and go in groups a few miles apart. I have had to call several fishing boats that admitted not seeing me a mile away despite AIS A at 50 miles offshore. Agree with other posts that further off shore, the less the traffic.
jmastal70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 08:58   #6

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Approx. 10 miles off NJ there tends to be a lot of tug/barge traffic while container ships are out ~50nm. Fishing boats are random and would expect them to be more concentrated off the major NJ inlets. Some will go out further for BF tuna.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 09:23   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baysailor34 View Post
I've been up and down the Jersey coast several times. Always two to five miles out and there's always plenty of traffic, especially if you're solo and have to keep a constant lookout. Getting rest is tough if not dangerous.

But I've never gone twenty or thirty miles straight out from Cape May and then headed north for the eastern tails of Long Island . Would that approach substantially cut down of traffic? I have Radar and a Class B AIS setup. Do the big fishing boats go out that far? Is that far enough offshore to cut down substantially on boat traffic?

Planned trip is in June or July.

Thanks.

I was going to contradict others. But am going to let hard data speak for me. Go to MarineTraffic and look at that area. It is rather busy. That said, you will find ocean going vessels easier to deal with than fishing boats.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 10:42   #8

Steady Watch, particularly after dark. Have made that trip 5-6 times and please note: There a 6 traffic lanes for LARGE Ships into-and-out-of the NY harbor with 3 parallel ins- & outs. One pair parallel the Long Island coast, one pair parallel the Jersey coast and the third is midway in between at about 45 degrees of the others.You want to cross each as quickly as possible. Be especially watchful of tugs with long tow barges so study and practice saying the light list. If you don't know what a light list is, don't go anywhere in that ocean at night. Then there are the brightly lighted trawlers with huge nets or others dredging way out and likely directly in your path. Day or night, None will be watching you, they are working! Best to call them (often ch.13 or other if no response) to alert them to your location and your course and inquire if you need to change direction and for how far. You won't see where their nets are, so ask. Recommend also that you have only one night-time with full daytime either side for the crossing. It's a rather enjoyable trip.
winjamerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 12:58   #9

I am providing some first hand knowledge about this voyage, which I have done several time. Don’t know if u have the Navionics app on a tablet, but I always plot my course(s) on it and then trans fee it into my plotter. Also, I have an Eldridge tide & Current text, which you may want to refer, as there is a stiff current called the “RACE”, which may be of consequence. Course: I would start course at marker “CM” (cape May entrance and head on. Course of 46 to 49 degreesT, for approx 195 miles (@6 kts 33 or so hrs) to marker “”1”, which is approx 4 miles WNW of Montauk Pt lite. This course will keep you about 3 miles east of the NYC southern separation zone entrance, about 2 1/2 miles east of the NYC middle separation zone entrance, and well east of the northern NYC (Ambrose???) separation zone. This course will keep you no more than approx 50 miles offshore, and just inside of the ship anchoring range. I like this route because few, of any, of the fishing and booze cruise boats will be near you. And it is a fairly well marked course and a straight shot. BTW, as you get closer to Nontauk, particularly at nit, beware of the 4 wind generators near Block Island; lots of lites, very confusing. Also set one vhf to 13 and the other on 16. 13 is commercial and you will be able to contact the commercial (yes, ships also) if you are concerned about a critical CPA.
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 13:00   #10

Oops, correction ENE of Montauk lite, not wnw. Sorry
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 18:18   #11

Boat: Benetea 311 swing keel

There are are tuna and shark tournaments during that time. They fish out 30 plus miles troll all day and night. Make sure you have radar reflectors up all the time
Enjoy
Peconiceast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 13:09   #12

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I have done this trip multiple times. Very pleasant. I would consider laying over in absecon (Atlantic City). You can either grab a slip, or drop the hook. From there, 048T, and by the next sunrise you should be coming up on Montauk.

Traffic isn't bad at all because you can stay out of the TSS. Light signatures make it easy. By day troll a 01 spoon, and you'll catch plenty of fish.

That's how I do it. Fatigue at night is the greatest threat. Lay over at AC and grab one more night's rest. It will be well worth it.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 17:31   #13

Boat: 1991 Island Packet 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
I have done this trip multiple times. Very pleasant. I would consider laying over in absecon (Atlantic City). You can either grab a slip, or drop the hook. From there, 048T, and by the next sunrise you should be coming up on Montauk.

Traffic isn't bad at all because you can stay out of the TSS. Light signatures make it easy. By day troll a 01 spoon, and you'll catch plenty of fish.

That's how I do it. Fatigue at night is the greatest threat. Lay over at AC and grab one more night's rest. It will be well worth it.
That sounds like a plan! One question; "Light signatures make it easy" What do you mean by that?
Baysailor34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 19:42   #14

The navigation lights from the other boats. I keep a spotlight in the cockpit and light up the sails if I have to.

The night sky is spectacular. I take the Bimini down due the first part of the night, but once the dew point temp hits I put it back up.....you will get wet.

Also, it gets cold at night, even in the summer. I need a few layers for night watch.

If you go to absecon, on the east side of the harbor is a cute tiki bar/restaurant. Also, time your entrance and exit with the tide. There can be a standing wave if you go out against the tide. The channel is very well marked and it's not a long distance in.

Ususl safety stuff....reef in the twilight so you don't have to deal with it at night (I have a traditional main). Last two times I did this (this summer) it piped up at night and I was over canvassed. Always clip in.

Check your position every hour. You will get pushed easterly by current. You can head right for Montauk point. There is plenty of water. You don't have to go all the way to the mark to enter LI sound. Estimate 5 knot average speed. You may also have to steam to get there or motor sail, frontal passages withstanding.

I recommend using weather routing such as WRI. They were great!!! All in all, it's a lovely trip.

Ben
Old 15-02-2020, 08:12   #15

Most importantly, get an Eldridge Pilot book. Once you round Montauk into LI sound, if you're against the tide, it is tough. Time your departure with the tide so you get to LI sound after first light, to catch favorable tide. There are some rocks around that you will only see in good light, also.

Tags
offshore