Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2021, 03:10   #16

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Re: Solo Ocean Crossing: 40 ft or 26 ft?

As one who prefers/chooses smaller boats, I'd of course cast my vote for the Contessa or similar, but even I concede that for 95% of most passages, the bigger option will have significant advantages. However and most particularly if you're single handing, it's during that remaining 5% when you're likely to get yourself into the most serious trouble/danger and short-handed, you'll more easily extricate yourself from it in the smaller one.
I accept that with a bigger/faster yacht you'll encounter trouble less often, simply by virtue of spending less time at sea, but it will catch you somewhere/someday; the again, my choice of small boats may just be because I'm a closet agoraphobic? But when you are, the closet's a good place to be.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:45   #17

Man,,if you have to ask this question,whatever boat
You are doing the trip with,make sure you take crew.
mindsofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:52   #18

Boat: C-26

When it comes to ocean crossings, bigger is better. However, there is such a thing as too big. A 40' for a solo sailor is more than you want to manage. On the other hand, the 26' will be miserable in short order. You really need something in the 33-36' range.
Remember the old adage...A cruising boat shrinks by 1' per person per day. That means that after 4 weeks on a 26', you'll be ready to jump off the stern and swim back to land.
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:38   #19

Boat: 73ŽULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Not much of a choice ! I will stick with what I have I like a bit of comfort !
You have one of the best and most beautiful cruising boats in existence. A pity so few were made.

As for size, bigger is much more comfortable, and 40Žis easy to sail single-handed. Even in an emergency. 35-40' is probably the ideal size. Sails on a 40' boat are eminently manageable.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:05   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Solo Ocean Crossing: 40 ft or 26 ft?

If your looking in that price range look at the Contessa 32, Nicholson 32, Rustler 31, Rival 32/34 if a fullish keel floats your boat

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:21   #21

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

There is more to choosing a boat than which will be more suitable for a single hander crossing an ocean. Even the biggest crossings take only a few weeks. Then you've got to live on it. You will spend more time at anchor or in port than crossing oceans.

I don't consider the Jeanneau to be a "big boat". It's only 40 ft.

For me however, I'd choose a sloop for simplicity. A performance boat will sail well with a smallish jib and a mainsail, so handling big sails is not required. You just have two sails and neither is very big. To me the ketch is just extra rigging to deal with, sails to trim, gear to put away, shrouds to trip over, it's all a lot of inconvenience for the supposed benefit of smaller sails.

And for living aboard, the Contessa will be a hardship to my way of thinking. People do it, but not me.

Go for the 40' but maybe not that one.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:15   #22

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

I've singlehanded small boats 27ft to larger boats 41ft. All I can tell you when things go wrong the smaller boats wins every time. Please think about that. There's no one else there but you when a clew let's go on a furling headsail in strong winds if you happen to have one. What happens next if singlehanded I can't relate here. Takes too much space but much blood was involved. Lucky to be here.
PS. You can't wind it in and furl it..... not for long anyway, I tried that, it runs out of furling line and then the fun starts as it opens one turn at a time the strong wind makes sure of that. This is when you need an extra hand. And it's 2am in the morning in rising seas. Dangers too leeward.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 13:22   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
There's no one else there but you when a clew let's go on a furling headsail in strong winds if you happen to have one. What happens next if singlehanded I can't relate here. Takes too much space but much blood was involved. Lucky to be here.
PS. You can't wind it in and furl it..... not for long anyway, I tried that, it runs out of furling line and then the fun starts as it opens one turn at a time the strong wind makes sure of that. This is when you need an extra hand. And it's 2am in the morning in rising seas. Dangers too leeward.
Yet one more instance in a LONG list of examples of why I loath roller furling headsails.
Old 12-09-2021, 13:27   #24

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

A 40ft is not out of hand for a single hander, but If I only had me a mid 30's would be at least big enough to stand in, and not too unmanageable in a storm.

The sails are small enough to handle, and the boat not too big to muscle when needed.

I personally wouldn't cross an ocean in a 26' no matter how well made, or how many people have done it.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 14:00   #25

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
I've singlehanded small boats 27ft to larger boats 41ft. All I can tell you when things go wrong the smaller boats wins every time. Please think about that. There's no one else there but you when a clew let's go on a furling headsail in strong winds if you happen to have one. What happens next if singlehanded I can't relate here. Takes too much space but much blood was involved. Lucky to be here.
Yes, this is when the Sh*t hits the fan. Not much fun and very risky to both equipment and sailor.

Get the boat into the wind and drop the sail. Go forward and pull it down. The flogging is reduced when the sail starts to hit the deck. If you've been putting that sail up and down frequently it will pull down easily. If it hasn't been moved in a couple of years it will be a bitch. Keeping the sail free to move in the furler groove is a maintenance item.

Losing a genoa clew is not unusual in roller furling sails when overloaded. The clew is exposed to the UV at all times even when furled. They get weak. It is best practice to lower the sails and fold and bag them when not going sailing on a frequent basis.

Use smaller sails on the furler when going on an overnight passage in areas where strong winds may be encountered. Be prepared to beat off that dangerous lee shore with a small head sail and a reefed main. A strong small headsail that hasn't been sitting on the furler for two years is better than that 130% genoa most folks have up there.

Single handing is dangerous stuff. You are playing for keeps. Best go really prepared. Big boat or small boat? Getting that Contessa off a lee shore might not be much fun either.
Old 12-09-2021, 14:22   #26

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamber View Post
If you were to cross an ocean alone, ....
I will not cross an ocean alone. One person cannot keep watch 24 hours a day for several days. That violates maritime laws and it really does endanger others; not just you.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 14:26   #27

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

As to neither, why not? Just stay at home and watch video of people who went.

As for standing up. You can do that outside. No need to stand inside the boat. I never stand inside my boat.

As for pancakes. I think you can have those on any size boat, but why bother? Much easier to eat dry oatmeal and drink water after.

Don't go if "bad weather is predicted" This is really impossible on 26ft boat crossing ocean. Weather predictions don't go that long.

As for size. The smaller boat is safer. There is no doubt because smaller boats have lower stresses, and so when something breaks it is less dangerous. It is easier to fix things that break on smaller boat. People with big boats I see them all the time fixing the boat. Now I went from 27 to 33ft boat and I have much more boat to fix and so for this reason the smaller boat can go farther because it spends more time sailing less time fixing.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 14:29   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Solo Ocean Crossing: 40 ft or 26 ft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
As to neither, why not? Just stay at home and watch video of people who went.

As for standing up. You can do that outside. No need to stand inside the boat. I never stand inside my boat.

As for pancakes. I think you can have those on any size boat, but why bother? Much easier to eat dry oatmeal and drink water after.

Don't go if "bad weather is predicted" This is really impossible on 26ft boat crossing ocean. Weather predictions don't go that long.

As for size. The smaller boat is safer. There is no doubt because smaller boats have lower stresses, and so when something breaks it is less dangerous. It is easier to fix things that break on smaller boat. People with big boats I see them all the time fixing the boat. Now I went from 27 to 33ft boat and I have much more boat to fix and so for this reason the smaller boat can go farther because it spends more time sailing less time fixing.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 14:30   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Apparently: Yachts for sale at Yachtsnet - UK sailing yacht brokerage and boat sales

How 'bout their Westerly Storm 33, Zamber? That would make a great ocean-going boat.

LW77
Agreed, the OP might also search for the likes of Patrick Laine on YT and also Rev Bob Shepton and his Westerly Discuss 33. He sadly lost the first one to a fire, so bought another which is quite telling for a very experienced sailor and Arctic adventurer. If you are 18 and want to sail around the world, well you will manage on a Contessa 26. Me? I want to stand up in the morning to put my trousers on.

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 14:55   #30
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamber View Post
If you were to cross an ocean alone, would you take a 26 ft Contessa or a 40 ft Jeanneau? Every very experienced person I ever heard of says take a small boat if crossing solo. If there is an emergency, one person will have a lot of problems with the larger boat. Especially with the two masts on the big Jeanneau. Would crossing with the Jeanneau 40 be considered stupid due to the potential dangers due to it being hard to control if a problem came up?

Take a look at that deep draft and very adequate rudder on the Contessa 26.

I don't know of an insurance company that will cover a solo ocean voyage. How much can you afford to lose?

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ocean crossing