Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2021, 04:23   #46

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Solo Ocean Crossing: 40 ft or 26 ft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
Exactly. So much "experience and wisdom" but has no idea about this particular model of Jeanneau. Late 70s, built for offshore, circumnavigated by 14 year old Laura Dekker, etc.
More on Laura Dekker and her boat.

She was no beginner though even at age 14.

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 04:35   #47

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If you are tired from being in rough conditions for a few days straight and not able to get rest, your judgement and reaction times go down hill.

A bigger boat tends to be more comfortable, so easier to get that rest, so that balances the higher forces involved.
Yes, absolutely agree about tiredness being a safety issue, particularly for single handers, and that a larger, heavier boat may generally have a less tiring motion in heavy going. On the other hand, that may not always be the case, as much depends on the design as well. To use my own boat as an example again, looking at Sailboat Data it is interesting to note that the Shannon 28 is rated at a higher comfort ratio (29.31) than the Jeanneau 40 ( 22.81). In comparing old school, purpose built, small ocean cruisers to larger modern boats, there are also considerable differences in the suitability of the design, particularly cabin design between boats designed from different eras and for different purposes. IMHO, the smallish, old school designs are much more suitable for ocean service in terms of sleeping bunks, hand holds, storage space, etc.. than larger, modern designs built expressly for the day charter trade and coastal cruising. And, of course, there is a lot less slamming and pounding with the older, more seakindly designs.

Clearly, size alone is not the only factor which makes a boat suitable for offshore service.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 04:56   #48

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Exactly. So much "experience and wisdom" but has no idea about this particular model of Jeanneau. Late 70s, built for offshore, circumnavigated by 14 year old Laura Dekker, etc.
To pull off that stunt, her daddy did a lot of work to keep the Jeanneau floating.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 04:58   #49

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cringle View Post
Take the Contessa. I wouldn't take the Jenneau across San Diego Bay, solo or otherwise.
Your funny, nothing like some positive input, what vessel are you sailing? Wait let me re phrase what vessel do you own? Share some pictures of you on your vessel words are cheap. Lots of tuff talkers lurking in the basements, but that’s not you, you sound like a real sailboat owner.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 05:19   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
To pull off that stunt, her daddy did a lot of work to keep the Jeanneau floating.
The same could be said for every boat that is truly sailed, but most owners are not that attentive. A late 70s 40 ft Jeanneau is a fast well built vessel like all boats when cared for.
Old 13-09-2021, 06:43   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Take a 2,000 mile passage for example. The small boat might average 100 miles a day and the larger one 150 mpd. That's 20 days of dealing with weather in the small boat vs 13 days in the larger one
With this argument you could board an aeroplane and finish the passage in 7 hours. No dealings with weather at all ...
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 07:18   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

This book covers the subject well and has one whole chapter devoted to the “best boat” question.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 07:37   #53

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Quote:
Yeah if a 14 year old girl can circumnavigate single handed on a Gin Fizz 40 I'm guessing it is manageable and seaworthy, as well having some such fame ;-)
Well then, touché! John Kretschmer writes very highly of the Gin Fizz in his book “Sailing a Serious Ocean.” Not 100% sure that’s the Jeanneau to which the OP is referring, however.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 08:00   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auklet View Post
Well then, touché! John Kretschmer writes very highly of the Gin Fizz in his book “Sailing a Serious Ocean.” Not 100% sure that’s the Jeanneau model to which the OP is referring, however.
The Gin Fizz that Dekker sailed was 37.5 ft LOA; she was 15 to 16 yo when she sailed. It was designed for blue-water passage making. There’s a non-trivial difference in singlehanding a 37.5 ft LOA versus a true 40 ft LOA, IMO. Owning a 39 ft LOA for 17 yr now, and singlhanding often, it’s a lot of boat even when rigged up properly for SH. And now we have self-tailing winches on everything.
Old 13-09-2021, 08:24   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
The funny thing is there are a lot of production vessels out there.
The way I understand it is, any yacht NOT of custom design, make, and build in very low copy number is a production boat. One produced in a factory in dozens to hundreds, even thousands, of copies. That is by far the type of yacht most of us will likely ever own or sail. Most of the time these discussions are about comparing one production model to another. So, one production yacht owner talking to other production owners, etc.
Old 13-09-2021, 08:54   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
I will not cross an ocean alone. One person cannot keep watch 24 hours a day for several days. That violates maritime laws and it really does endanger others; not just you.
I believe there are watch schedules proposed where periods of sleep are staggered in ways that a “functional” coverage of the 24 hr is possible sailing solo. No getting around the fact, however, that 6 to 8 hr of daily sleep is required, etc. So at least 24% of the time there will not be anyone standing watch albeit not in long stretches. Maybe at most 4 hr intermittently. Apparently, the body must be conditioned to it. It differs from a 4 on-4 off rotation.
Old 13-09-2021, 09:14   #57

Quote:
The way I understand it is, any yacht NOT of custom design, make and build in very low copy number is a production boat. One produced in a factory in dozens to hundreds, even thousands, of copies. Albeit, that is by far the type of yacht most of us will ever own. Most of the time this talk is about comparing one production model to another.
Yes, and thank you, that is exactly what I was referring too. From Swans, Hinkleys, oysters, odays, catalinas choy lees, island packets, hunters, J-boats etc, all production yachts, built by humans inherently faulty in every way.
Old 13-09-2021, 13:45   #58

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Quote:
I believe there are watch schedules proposed where periods of sleep are staggered in ways that a “functional” coverage of the 24 hr is possible sailing solo. No getting around the fact, however, that 6 to 8 hr of daily sleep is required, etc. So at least 24% of the time there will not be anyone standing watch albeit not in long stretches. Maybe at most 4 hr intermittently. Apparently, the body must be conditioned to it. It differs from a 4 on-4 off rotation.
Give Andrew Evans book, Single Handed Sailing a read. Pages 15-21 speak to the approaches for solo sailing off shore, reducing daily sleep time to 5 hours or a bit less. Cites Ellen MacArthur circumnavigation on aver of 5.54 hr/day down to 3.9 hour/day. 9 naps of 20 minutes or so, with a once wkly day off allowing for "catch-up". Evans rigged a sleeping hammock in his cockpit, facing aft, just rear of companionway that he wakes up from every 20 min.... OH, and I would go with longer...stooping over down below is just tiresome...and results in too many headaches when upright!
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 14:57   #59

Boat: Bristol 27

Other small boats that cross oceans.

Those in the Jester Challenge..

Boats include: Folkboat 25', Twister 28, Albin Vega 27, Sadler 26

https://jesterchallenge.wordpress.co...hallenge-2021/

https://jesterchallenge.wordpress.co...-carousel-1303

Twister 28 I believe this is

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 17:50   #60

Wow. I didn't mean to kick up so much dust! But I will answer you all: Picklesandjesse: Yeah, plenty of 'bloody old age'
Jim Cate. Ok I over-stated. I would probably take a Jeanneau across SD Bay. But Catalina? I dunno, the worst WX I EVER encountered was off Catalina.
Wingsail: Never in the buy-sell business, but back when I was living in So. Cal., I at times had up to seven boats at one time. One to live on, one for serious racing, one for Wednesday Night Beercans, one for casual daysailing around the bay, one for teaching the kids, a classic I was restoring, and a simple one for my wife to encourage her to learn. (yeah, it was a sickness)
Seem: Not sure I would rely on a 14 year-old kid's judgement when choosing an offshore boat.
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ocean crossing