Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2021, 19:21   #61

Boat: Ben 323 32+ft (10m)
Re: Solo Ocean Crossing: 40 ft or 26 ft?

Solo ocean crossing in 40’ = a little nuts.
Solo ocean crossing in 26’ = more nuts.
Fullbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 19:28   #62

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

is a new hallberg rassy 40 +feet an option?
abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 22:01   #63

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
With this argument you could board an aeroplane and finish the passage in 7 hours. No dealings with weather at all ...
Yes, you could take the argument to the absurd if you wish.

The point was the OP states saftey as a key criteria offshore. A significantly shorter passage exposes you to significantly less weather risk. I said less, not none, so don't take it to the absurd either,
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 04:40   #64

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Yes, you could take the argument to the absurd if you wish.

The point was the OP states saftey as a key criteria offshore. A significantly shorter passage exposes you to significantly less weather risk. I said less, not none, so don't take it to the absurd either,
Honestly, Paul, I think the point you're making is a bit weak, unless you're talking about very large boats in the 50 to 60 ft. range. I crossed the Atlantic ( W to E) in a Cape Dory 36 and averaged probably around 5 to 6 knots on the trip. Now with my Shannon 28, the average speed on passages is about the same, sometimes even a bit better if the conditions are especially light. The LOA really doesn't make that much of a difference between boats of say 28 to 40 ft, especially for single handers who tend to keep their boats in that sort of 5 - 6 knot speed range anyway, especially at night, regardless of boat size.

The other point I would add is that on a 4 or 5 week passage that whole argument about being out there longer and thus more prone to potential bad weather is also weak. On such a long passage one is going to be affected by numerous weather systems going thru... so it's not like one is going to out run anything out there.

I remember a conversation with a British gentleman, ex navy, on his second RTW solo who did not carry any long distance comms at all. When asked what did he use for weather forcasting when crossing the Atlantic, his answer was " nothing". "You prepare for what you get and carry on."

Yeah, I know times have changed on the technical side, but there still is some core wisdom in what that gentleman expressed.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 05:11   #65

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I’ll go back to the OPs question with this last not really discussed point. Is the 26 ft vessel capable of carrying water, fuel and food for a passage of 3k miles? A good measure of safety would be 1/4 the distance estimated in fuel, my own vessel a Jeanneau 44i can do that distance without a single modification and without sacrificing valuable living space. I can carry several months worth of supplies, and I have the storage set up to take advantage of its weight, heaviest closest to the keel.
I can understand the concern about a vessel being to hard to handle physically, I have no issues with my vessel but I am a fit 57 year old and I have been moving and working with weight my whole life. Moving a sail below on a heaving sea from a vessel with a LOA of 40 ft could be a disastrous event in many ways.
Best to go with the wee boat, if you never go off shore in the pelagic pocket cruiser it will cost you far less in the long run.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 05:27   #66
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Solo Ocean Crossing: 40 ft or 26 ft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post

The other point I would add is that on a 4 or 5 week passage that whole argument about being out there longer and thus more prone to potential bad weather is also weak. On such a long passage one is going to be affected by numerous weather systems going thru... so it's not like one is going to out run anything out there.

I remember a conversation with a British gentleman, ex navy, on his second RTW solo who did not carry any long distance comms at all. When asked what did he use for weather forcasting when crossing the Atlantic, his answer was " nothing". "You prepare for what you get and carry on."

Yeah, I know times have changed on the technical side, but there still is some core wisdom in what that gentleman expressed.
Some of us still hold that attitude, also all my solo W-E Transats have been on 37ft and less.. to make it even worse the 37 was an old 81' Hunter and the other two were on 32ft and 33ft Beneteaus..
How did I survive..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 05:54   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
How did I survive..
Better check your pulse if you're still alive. The experts on the Internet have a different opinion.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 06:06   #68

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Not to interrupt the thread, but CC, 7 boats at once!! that is crazy...definitely a sickness and one to aspire to contract....I was born & raised in So Cal, so just finding a place to store, launch, berth that many boats would be a challenge given the cost of real estate and size of home lots! I have one sailboat and a 9 ft dinghy....does that count as TWO?!! thnks
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 06:10   #69

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
Honestly, Paul, I think the point you're making is a bit weak, unless you're talking about very large boats in the 50 to 60 ft. range. I crossed the Atlantic ( W to E) in a Cape Dory 36 and averaged probably around 5 to 6 knots on the trip. Now with my Shannon 28, the average speed on passages is about the same, sometimes even a bit better if the conditions are especially light. The LOA really doesn't make that much of a difference between boats of say 28 to 40 ft, especially for single handers who tend to keep their boats in that sort of 5 - 6 knot speed range anyway, especially at night, regardless of boat size.

Not sure you are getting the point I was trying to make. A typical cruising boat is not going to out run the weather systems. On typical passages you have good to decent forecast info for say 3 to 7 days or so (pick what ever numbers you want). Beyond that you will be making decisions on the weather you get. If that period is 5 days, then that's your weather risk. If it is 10 days then that's your 2x weather risk. If its 15 days then that's your 3x risk.

So saying I want a small, slow, seaworthy, full keel boat because it is so safe for ocean passages, ignores the ways it is less safe than a larger, faster and more modern boat. It's all a personal choice and tradeoffs, but it is just being romantic if you choose to not acknowledge the tradeoffs.

In the end it just doesn't matter. I'm sitting among a bunch of boats that are finishing up their Indian Ocean passages now. There are boats from a slow 28 footer to a 60ft Gunboat Cat. With a little bit of luck they will all make it.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 06:27   #70

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

find interesting all these questions posted by people that do not remain involved on the discussion generated, almost like no interest?
Why post the question?
For instance, this particular person has a history (checking his postings)of this behavior.
In one hand of course generated many views, on the other people have spent considerable time without one single acknowledgment.
Not sure if there is an answer besides some basic etiquette and good manners I guess.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 07:40   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
find interesting all these questions posted by people that do not remain involved on the discussion generated, almost like no interest?
  1. Ask Question
  2. Don't get your favourite preconception validated
  3. Move on to next topic
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 09:27   #72

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Yeah
sums it up
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 14:03   #73

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Why post the question?
Well, this behavior is sometimes called trolling, and it is forbidden here by the forum rules.

As a moderator, charged with enforcing the rules, I find it awkward because by the time one realizes that the OP is gone, the damage has been done. Detecting trolling and acting in a timely fashion is one of the more difficult chores we have.

Jim
Old 14-09-2021, 14:17   #74

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Couple of posts expressed concern over furling the genoa in strong winds and/or with blown clew. Yes, you don't want to be on the foredeck trying to bring down a big genoa to the deck in strong winds.
I've been thinking about what I would do in this situation, since our genoa is really huge. I must be missing something but I don't think this genoa on deck scenario is realistic. If the wind is so strong you can't furl the jib using the roller, then you would have already furled it and you would be flying the staysail.

So you are running the genoa, full or partially furled, in the proper wind strength that will always allow you to furl it normally. If you blow a clew then head downwind and use the furler to bring it in. The absence of attached sheets means even less pressure than in a normal furling situation. Since the wind was strong, the wrap is really tight and needs many turns - but you already have done this many times in strong winds so you had enough turns on the drum to be able to furl in this wind strength. Just be sure to recover those jib sheets before starting the engine!

Now you have the genoa furled, and to keep it from getting unwrapped by the wind you need to go forward, get your spare jib halyard (another item which you had prepared) and wrap that around the furled jib at least 10 times, then secure it tightly on deck near the forestay. Done, but safely without bringing the monster to the deck.

All sailing and perhaps single handing more than most, is done safely only with experience, preparation, practice and maintenance.

Neither of those boats is ideal for ocean cruising, but I would choose the Jeanneau 40' if that was my only alternative. Ketch-cutter is ideal rig for singlehanding and the hull construction gets good reviews, but unfortunately this Jeanneau has a spade rudder and bolt-on fin keel. The small diesel tank capacity surprised me - only 39.7 gallons. A boat this size should have a designed fuel capacity for 4 days of motoring if crossing the Pacific.

Any yes, you can stand up in the cabin!
Old 14-09-2021, 14:32   #75
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Solo Ocean Crossing: 40 ft or 26 ft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Better check your pulse if you're still alive. The experts on the Internet have a different opinion.
The 'Experts' have had that opinion since day one..
But... I keep rising again..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4e1afd6a87ce969f42e3b0ddfdeb775c284785c0.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	353.2 KB
ID:	245335  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ocean crossing