Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2010, 04:48   #16

ACup

Ironically, the only country I could see wanting to put on a show for the world is CHINA.

If they haven't got the money they can print it.

Ken
Old 27-08-2010, 06:15   #17

The AC has become a misable spectacle that has little or nothing to do with racing sialboats around bouys. I gave up on it years ago...

In Sept I will be aboard a retired AC boat in St Maarten for a day trip/regatta with two others. Should be cool...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 27-08-2010, 18:15   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
don't believe everything you read in Latitute 38.

Green groups backing city's America's Cup bid
Old 27-08-2010, 18:58   #19
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That's an encouraging report, Bash, but it doesn't address the tax ramifications of holding the event in California as opposed to Spain or Italy. The 'Lectronic Latitude report did.

I think back on how Latitude 38 publishing was spot on when they predicted that the original mast and sails on BOR 90 would be replaced by a carbon fiber wing sail. Obviously, they had an inside source. I'm sure they still do, so I'd be reluctant to question their take on this.

The doubt they expressed seemed pretty unequivocal, to me. Just sayin' . . .

TaoJones
Old 27-08-2010, 19:21   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
That's an encouraging report, Bash, but it doesn't address the tax ramifications of holding the event in California as opposed to Spain or Italy. The 'Lectronic Latitude report did.

I think back on how Latitude 38 publishing was spot on when they predicted that the original mast and sails on BOR 90 would be replaced by a carbon fiber wing sail. Obviously, they had an inside source. I'm sure they still do, so I'd be reluctant to question their take on this.

The doubt they expressed seemed pretty unequivocal, to me. Just sayin' . . .

Not to quibble but they did miss the mark here on the environmental issue, insider or not. I had to wonder how big of a deal to millionaire racers is the tax issue to overcome? If I read it correctly the crew will pay more income tax while working toward the race? Would a salary increase not cover that? Again, prehaps I'm misunderstanding the point?

Old 27-08-2010, 20:21   #21

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor
Let Larry pay if he wants it in SF.
Old 27-08-2010, 21:17   #22

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
Let Larry pay if he wants it in SF.
How much has Larry already paid, to bring the Cup to SF?
Old 27-08-2010, 21:30   #23
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Not to quibble but they did miss the mark here on the environmental issue, insider or not. I had to wonder how big of a deal to millionaire racers is the tax issue to overcome? If I read it correctly the crew will pay more income tax while working toward the race? Would a salary increase not cover that? Again, prehaps I'm misunderstanding the point?
I don't think that's accurate, hummingway. They stated the reality of the situation at the time they reported. Since that time, some environmentalist groups have expressed their lack of opposition to holding the AC in San Francisco. That's not quite the same thing as having the controlling authorities sign off on a waiver to the California Environmental Quality Act, without which a single person or group with legal standing to file suit can jam the gears on the whole deal with one well-placed temporary restraining order.

And, given that, do you think there just might be a remote possibility that there exists such a person or group in San Francisco? Who would roll the dice and try to hold the next AC in a location where, without the waiver (that is impossible to obtain in the time remaining), they could be roadblocked at any time?

Look, I'd love to see the America's Cup held on the Bay, and I mean that literally - I'd go there to watch them race. It would be a rare experience. But I'm not blocking out the time to do so, nor making any hotel reservations yet.

TaoJones
Old 27-08-2010, 21:49   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
It's taking forever to build the new Bay Bridge. In 1997, then governor Pete Wilson declared that the bridge would be built. The completion date is now estimated to be 2014. It's going to take 18 years to build this bridge. In contrast, it took 4 years to build the Golden Gate Bridge. San Francisco voters rejected what would have been a wonderful tourist attraction, the Battleship Iowa, because it is "too military". Additionally the politicians and the voters are clearly of a certain political persuasion that creates excessive requirements or complete roadblocks to most everything good that anyone wants to do here. "The city that can"....cannot.

Given that, I don't think that even if they wanted to, they would be capable of hosting the Cup. If somehow it is here then great, but many people have been predicting that Bay Area politicians and more specifically San Francisco politicians would be the ones who blow this great opportunity for its citizens.

By the way, the Big Boat Series here each year has large racing yachts that race within the Bay each year. Its not the course that is the problem, its the politicians and all the hundreds of demands they will have on the sponsors of the event that will piss them off and send them elsewhere....just like we are starting to see now. The demands placed on the sponsors I am certain will get worse. Bay Area politicians with their un-competitive and unrealistic demands have already sent major corporations and their jobs packing for elsewhere. I do not see how it will be any different with the America's Cup sponsors. This is especially true when you consider one is a multi-billionaire capitalist, exactly the type of person who Bay Area politicians despise.

You would think that with California's 12.3% unemployment rate that they would greet them with open arms and encourage them to have the Cup here? Nope, what matters to them is setting up requirements and roadblocks. That's what makes them feel powerful. Creating big requirements pretty much implies that they feel they must protect the citizens from the bad things about the America's Cup.

In a way, the citizens here don't deserve the Americas Cup. They are getting what they voted for if the Cup goes elsewhere.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 28-08-2010, 04:51   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
How much has Larry already paid, to bring the Cup to SF?

To SF or California? Not much.....
Old 28-08-2010, 04:53   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
It's taking forever to build the new Bay Bridge. In 1997, then governor Pete Wilson declared that the bridge would be built. The completion date is now estimated to be 2014. It's going to take 18 years to build this bridge. In contrast, it took 4 years to build the Golden Gate Bridge. San Francisco voters rejected what would have been a wonderful tourist attraction, the Battleship Iowa, because it is "too military". Additionally the politicians and the voters are clearly of a certain political persuasion that creates excessive requirements or complete roadblocks to most everything good that anyone wants to do here. "The city that can"....cannot.

Given that, I don't think that even if they wanted to, they would be capable of hosting the Cup. If somehow it is here then great, but many people have been predicting that Bay Area politicians and more specifically San Francisco politicians would be the ones who blow this great opportunity for its citizens.

By the way, the Big Boat Series here each year has large racing yachts that race within the Bay each year. Its not the course that is the problem, its the politicians and all the hundreds of demands they will have on the sponsors of the event that will piss them off and send them elsewhere....just like we are starting to see now. The demands placed on the sponsors I am certain will get worse. Bay Area politicians with their un-competitive and unrealistic demands have already sent major corporations and their jobs packing for elsewhere. I do not see how it will be any different with the America's Cup sponsors. This is especially true when you consider one is a multi-billionaire capitalist, exactly the type of person who Bay Area politicians despise.

You would think that with California's 12.3% unemployment rate that they would greet them with open arms and encourage them to have the Cup here? Nope, what matters to them is setting up requirements and roadblocks. That's what makes them feel powerful. Creating big requirements pretty much implies that they feel they must protect the citizens from the bad things about the America's Cup.

In a way, the citizens here don't deserve the Americas Cup. They are getting what they voted for if the Cup goes elsewhere.
The City and County of San Francisco is just one of many jurisdictions on the bay....I'd be surprised if one of the other cities wouldn't be pretty happy for the venue..
Old 28-08-2010, 08:17   #27

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healer52 View Post
To SF or California? Not much.....
Larry founded a very LARGE company located at the south end of the SF Bay, and employs thousands of people, many who have become quite rich with discounted stock offerings. Oracle, which creates almost all the software to drive the Internet and recently purchased Sun Mircosystems, which invented Java and almost all of the servers and such to process data on the Internet makes Larry a very rich person. Oracle was started with Larry's own effort and at the time it went public Larry was the only investor.
Before he got the AC bug Larry established himself as a offshore racer by competing in many races, over several years. He was on his boat in that infamous Sidney to Hobart race that seen so many boats sink. His boat was either the first or second boat in the race.

You can call him self centered, but I'd call it focused.
Old 28-08-2010, 09:08   #28
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Quote:
...Oracle, which creates almost all the software to drive the Internet...

Sun Mircosystems, which invented Java and almost all of the servers and such to process data on the Internet ...
ROFL!!!!!

Old 28-08-2010, 10:31   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
... Before he got the AC bug Larry established himself as a offshore racer by competing in many races, over several years. He was on his boat in that infamous Sidney to Hobart race that seen so many boats sink. His boat was either the first or second boat in the race.
You can call him self centered, but I'd call it focused.
In 1998, Larry Ellison and his 78' "Sayonara" won the Sydney to Hobart race, overcoming near-hurricane winds that sank five other boats, drowning six participants.
Worth about $28 Billion, Larry may be the 6TH richest person in the world.

Old 28-08-2010, 11:57   #30

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Is there a reason why either the other interested municipalities (Alameda, Richmond, etc.) or other US venues are not part of the conversation? Is it because BMWO is only talking to San Francisco or is it because San Francisco hasn't bothered to bring them in on the deal?
Closed Thread

Tags
san francisco