Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2010, 12:06   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
There is a group in Alameda trying to get the old Naval Air Station as the staging area. The Alameda city council is all for it. It would not be as glamorous here as in San Francisco but it would be an incredible facility with huge empty aircraft hangars, plenty of open paved space and plenty of docks. There is nothing similar anywhere else in the Bay Area.

The real bonus is that the San Francisco city council would have no power over anything here in Alameda. The Alameda city council and the mayor are also more politically balanced.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 30-08-2010, 01:56   #32

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
The once-great state of California chases away businesses and high-income people, so why would it want a high-class yacht race? Dinghy races are the thing here!
Old 30-08-2010, 07:51   #33

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The once-great state of California chases away businesses and high-income people, so why would it want a high-class yacht race? Dinghy races are the thing here!
I'd take issue with that statement, but the Mods would kill the thread drift away from the OP.
Old 30-08-2010, 15:59   #34
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I suggest the antartic, lots of penguins as spectators

Dave
Old 04-09-2010, 10:15   #35

Not dead yet
San Francisco's plan for hosting America's Cup
Old 04-09-2010, 10:23   #36
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Why would they want it in San Francisco, not some other bay side city? well... maybe for the same reason it's the San Francisco bay, not the Alameda bay or the Oakland bay or the Berkeley bay...?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 04-09-2010, 10:46   #37

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Why would they want it in San Francisco, not some other bay side city? well... maybe for the same reason it's the San Francisco bay, not the Alameda bay or the Oakland bay or the Berkeley bay...?
The Yacht Club of record is the Golden Gate Yacht Club of SF. Located at the opposite end of the parking lot from the St. Francis Yacht Club.
Old 13-09-2010, 15:39   #38
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From today's 'Lectronic Latitude, comes word that the next edition of the America's Cup will be contested in 72' catamarans:

"AC 34 Details Revealed

"September 13, 2010 – Valencia

"With bated breath, the sailing world has been waiting for months for a definitive announcement regarding the 34th America's Cup. Today it got a little satisfaction with the announcement that the next Cup match will be contested on hard-wing 72-ft catamarans in 2013. The new-look America's Cup and its protocol were unveiled in a joint press conference hosted by the Golden Gate YC and the Challenger of Record Club Nautico di Roma in Valencia."

To read the entire piece, go to:

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

TaoJones
Old 13-09-2010, 16:18   #39
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco
EssEff is one of the most suitable locations for an AC that exists in the world. A spectacular city, with a natural venue with lots of wind and current and full visibility for many thousands of people. Also scads of underutilized developed waterfront. I can't think of any other place that compares favorably.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 13-09-2010, 16:24   #40

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
That all sounds pretty good. It's not my personal vision, of the best sailors in the world sailing identical boats just like mine to their highest potential using brilliant seamanship in wildly different conditions up to F-10, but it is understandable that the event should see itself sailing the fastest available boat technology. I imagine they figure they have an insurmountable lead in that tech, don't you think?

I wonder if the blase' Franciscan's will heed Lat38's plea for venue turnouts to demonstrate that the bay is the place to sail? What say you, El Basho Elegante (aka, the most interesting man about the Bay with a CF burgee)? But know this, Sr. Elegante, the incredibly slow wheels of burgee manufacture and distribution will someday return you back to being just another pretty face on the water.
Old 13-09-2010, 18:06   #41

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
I read the Protocol that's been released and it officially gives until December 31st for a lot of the venue announcements. Possibly, the 34th AC match, challenger series, annual AC World Series, and other events could be in different venues, though I suspect the organizers might not want to move the AC 72 boats and build and tear down bases too much. Is there any word on how much progress SF has made in making a bid and whether SF and BMWO/GGYC are open to Bay Area venues outside SF city limits?

If the SF bid isn't good enough for the challenger series or match, is it possible that SF might be given AC annual world series or promotional events or junior and preliminary events with the AC 45 boats, which could be more easily accommodated within the Bay than the AC 72s?
Old 13-09-2010, 18:16   #42
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
If the SF bid isn't good enough for the challenger series or match, is it possible that SF might be given AC annual world series or promotional events or junior and preliminary events with the AC 45 boats, which could be more easily accommodated within the Bay than the AC 72s?
I wondered about that, as well, and I'm sure something will be held on the Bay. I wouldn't be surprised, either, if something similar is held in Europe.

From what I've observed so far, both the Defender and the Challenger camps seem determined to fix what had been wrong with the A-Cup for so long, and their cooperation with one another, to this point, has been remarkable. Worth noting, by the way, is that the Club Nautico di Roma simultaneous press conference was datelined Valencia, Spain - not Rome.

Could it be that the Challenger effort will be run from Valencia while the Defender uses San Francisco as its home base, with racing conducted in both places and the A-Cup Final held at a venue yet to be determined?

TaoJones
Old 13-09-2010, 19:34   #43

Speaking on Radio New Zealand this morning, Grant Dalton (Team NZ manager) suggested he believes it is a two-horse race between SF and Rome. Not sure why he believes Valencia is out (I don't see anything official to that end) but he is likely to have knowledge from very close to the source...

Team NZ says the next America's cup will be a much fairer race

I would have thought that, with such new boats (for most teams) and constant development required, teams would be reluctant to spread racing over several different venues in the lead-up. They'll just want to get into the venue as soon as possible and start setting up for local conditions. 2013 is sooner than many were expecting. But then again, it's not the challengers' call...
Old 13-09-2010, 20:59   #44
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I find the whole thing rather boring.

Too many screamin egos for me.
Old 13-09-2010, 22:03   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
I find the whole thing rather boring.

Too many screamin egos for me.
Yeah I guess there is that but it can still be awfully beautiful when they're actually sailing

Closed Thread

Tags
san francisco