Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2012, 07:23   #1

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Spinaker A-sym or Symetrical

I am looking for new sails for an Aquarius 23, one of the sails I would like to have is some kind of downwind calm day sail. What are the advantages and dissadvantages of each type?
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 08:01   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Spinaker A-sym or Symetrical

A-Sym advantages, no pole to set up, easier to control. Dis-advantage is you can't sail it as far downwind as a symmetrical. Not an issue if you don't care where you're going, just want to go faster. It's not that you can't go downwind, you'd just make better progress with a sym, again probably not an issue for a cruiser. Also not an issue if you have a Melges 32 or something similar since it planes it is faster to sail the higher angles to make the best progress downwind.

John
cal40john is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 09:20   #3

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Simplicity and ease of use are my main criteria. I'm a cruiser that just wants more sail on a calm day.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 09:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
A-Sym advantages, no pole to set up, easier to control. Dis-advantage is you can't sail it as far downwind as a symmetrical. Not an issue if you don't care where you're going, just want to go faster. It's not that you can't go downwind, you'd just make better progress with a sym, again probably not an issue for a cruiser. Also not an issue if you have a Melges 32 or something similar since it planes it is faster to sail the higher angles to make the best progress downwind.

John
Coming home I do a 4 mile run down an estuary, it's quite narrow, and the wind is always directly behind. If I used the A-sym, I'd be constantly gybing it - and it doesn't really like gybing. Or is it me that doesn't like gybing it?

Anyway the best plan for me, as I never have the crew for a symmetrical, is a large genoa and a whisker pole.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 18:10   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl
Simplicity and ease of use are my main criteria. I'm a cruiser that just wants more sail on a calm day.
If you are downwind more than broad reaching or training run the symmetrrical will do better.

If you are single handing you will likely find you don't fly either very often. I have both on my boat and don't fly it with less than 3 on board that know what they are doing + Otto to free up another pair of hands.

You may be happier with a large and light genoa.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 18:16   #6

Boat: Allures 44

What Dan says, though we often fly the A-sym with 2 on board (plus Otto). I don't use it single handed.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 18:27   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

On a boat as small as an A-23 the symmetrical kite shouldn't be very hard to handle. I had one on a CAtalina 22 years ago and had lots of fun with it.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 26-02-2012, 18:31   #8

Get the biggest A-sym you can handle and fly it from a pole also.
I do it solo on a 36' CS Merlin
sonaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 19:04   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate
On a boat as small as an A-23 the symmetrical kite shouldn't be very hard to handle. I had one on a CAtalina 22 years ago and had lots of fun with it.

Cheers,

Jim
With a 23 foot boat I am presuming that CapBill is in shore and not on a lot of long tacks. I don't see how to successfully gybe the pole solo even with Ottos help.

I suppose one could haul the pole well back, gybe and then go reset the pole. Bit of a PITA for me especially near traffic.

Then the douse is interesting. Halyard, sheet, brace, wrestle the sail. Oh, well... Would be nice if Otto could work the bow...

Asym on the bow fitting with a tacker, sock and Otto, probably a lot easier. But a 3oz 150 gennie may be the ticket.
Old 26-02-2012, 19:14   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Don't use either unless the optional backstay was installed on that boat.

I'm not crazy about the idea of using a spinnaker on a centerboarder. Too easy to put the boat on its ear. It's fine on a racing dink that's designed to plane, but on a trailer sailor you're asking for trouble.
Old 26-02-2012, 19:25   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonaps View Post
Get the biggest A-sym you can handle and fly it from a pole also.
I do it solo on a 36' CS Merlin
This is some really bad advice for the OP's boat. What works, arguably, for a Merlin 36 might not be appropriate for an Aquarius 23.

Check the boat before you advise someone on how to sail it.
Old 26-02-2012, 19:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
This is some really bad advice for the OP's boat. What works, arguably, for a Merlin 36 might not be appropriate for an Aquarius 23.

Check the boat before you advise someone on how to sail it.
It is obvious I am more capable the you bash
sonaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 19:48   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash
Don't use either unless the optional backstay was installed on that boat.

I'm not crazy about the idea of using a spinnaker on a centerboarder. Too easy to put the boat on its ear. It's fine on a racing dink that's designed to plane, but on a trailer sailor you're asking for trouble.
Details, details... Please don't confuse the discussion with facts and physics - LOL

Does the mast even have a spare halyard? Plus pole lift, plus pole down. Maybe spinakker winches...

Big light genny, sail the angles... Assuming hanked on, prepare to drop early...

@capnBill - how is your light wind sailing? Everyone can drive fast in 12 knots. Races are won in shifts, tacks and light winds...

Drift warning. I am sailing with a crew now that gets very cranky in light airs. After 3 good finishes I am slowly convincing them that light airs are their friend. This weekend we passed and pulled away from a boat that gives us 6 minutes. I was focusing them on sail shaping, reading the puffs, active trimming to accelerate, pointing up in the gusts and bearing off in the lulls to preserve boat momentum. Each shift and puff gained us a 1/2-1 boat length. When we stretched out 10 lengths (after being overlapped at the top mark) the crew was quite chuffed with themselves.

The end of the race finished with two long tacks in strong conditions and was a non-event. The race was won in light airs, not strong. We beat the Dehler 39 by about 1 1/2 minutes on the water. Of course our club actively manages handicaps and our adjusted 2nd place got 2 minutes knocked off our number for the next race - LOL
Old 26-02-2012, 19:53   #14

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Give me a Big Genny, or twin jibs wing and wing anytime down wind ! rather point off a bit and roll less, Just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 20:49   #15

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

I had a Chrysler 20 (swing keel) for a couple of seasons. We flew a symmetrical kite a couple of times and it performed real well both running and broad reaching. I only flew it with at least one other crew aboard, I wouldn't have tried it by myself. If you do, carry a sharp knife...