Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What sails do you have
Spinnaker 16 29.63%
Storm Sails 7 12.96%
Both a spinnaker and storm sails 26 48.15%
Neither 5 9.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2015, 05:30   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Spinnaker and/or Storm Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Large for light wind and small for heavy winds

North offer 3 spinnaker sizes for down wind sailing

North Sails: Downwind Sails
Spinnaker for heavy winds? Must be a professional racer.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:32   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Spinnaker for heavy winds? Must be a professional racer.
Not everyone is **** scared of a bit of wind
Old 10-04-2015, 05:43   #18

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
I just wondering what the group really has:

spinnaker
storm sails
both
spinnaker and for high winds, a heavily built staysail and with an in-boom furling main, can put up only a postage stamp if that's what I want.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:44   #19
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Not everyone is **** scared of a bit of wind
**** scared, really now
Old 10-04-2015, 05:45   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

With a Boom furling Main, I can reef in any increment down to very small.
I intend when I replace my head sails to get my Staysail made from heavy cloth and use it as my storm headsail.
Is this a workable plan?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:01   #21
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I intend when I replace my head sails to get my Staysail made from heavy cloth and use it as my storm headsail.
Is this a workable plan?
Everything is "workable". But you need to think about whether you want to live with the performance of that heavy head sail 99.9% of the time in order to be able to use it as "storm" sail that other 0.1% of time. I bet I get caught out in light wind at least 20 times more often than heavy wind, which is why I have a spinnaker but no storm sail.

And whether you even really need a storm sail at all.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:22   #22

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Is this a workable plan?
On my previous boat a cutter like you I had a heavy and light staysail. This worked well on my boat. Try sailing with just the staysail to see how your boat responds.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:41   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

She actually sails pretty well with just the stay sail and the main reefed, given enough wind of course.
Second owners of the boat were the ones that installed the boom furler, I know they were getting older and looking to make the boat easier to sail. There is way more wear on the Staysail than the Genoa, I think they sailed primarily on the main and Staysail as the Staysail is self tacking, based on the wear the Staysail has.

But the real power is in the Genoa of course, Staysail adds little, I believe it's primary function is more to add shape to the "slot" to direct the airflow for the Genoa more than anything else?

Anyway to put this back on track and not hijack the thread, I guess I'm questioning how much need is there actually for dedicated Storm sails, on a Cutter? Can a quality Staysail suffice? Getting away from the heavy fabric example as I mean essentially a good cruising weight sail.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:50   #24
Eternal Member

In addition to a staysail on a furler, I carry a storm jib that can be hanked on over the furled staysail, a trysail, an asymetrical spinnaker, and a Code 0...

I have yet to ever use either storm sail 'in anger', have only played with them as a trial... My small, high aspect main has a very deep second reef, so can still be carried in some pretty heavy stuff...

On the other hand, I've used my free flying sails often, and to great effect... For one thing, they're simply fun to fly. Gotta say I really don't understand many cruisers' attitude towards the importance of a light air sail inventory, especially as most of us are sailing boats whose designed performance has been degraded considerably by the amount of crap we are dragging around... for the type of cruising most of us do, I rate a complement of light air sails as essential, nothing else will so often make the difference between choosing to sail, or to motor, for one thing...

Although I've yet to really need them, I wouldn't be without a storm jib or trysail for any real offshore sailing... One of their greatest potential values for me, might be in the event of a dismasting. I would still be left with a pair of perfectly sized sails with which to try to configure a jury rig using the spinnaker pole as the mast... Another potential value of my trysail, as it is made from International Orange sailcloth, is as a means of enhancing visibility in an emergency situation, or whatever...

I love my Code 0, and remain surprised at how few cruising sailors carry one... If I had to choose between it and an asymetrical, I think I'd go the Code 0... Sailmakers might tell you different, and many people seem to think they are of somewhat limited use and have a narrow range, but you might be surprised at the variety of ways in which they can be put to good use...

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:14   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

With our club-footed cutter we carry an asymmetrical, a drifter, and a yankee, in addition to our staysail. Our heavy weather sailing (so far) is managed with our heavy cloth reefable staysail (hanked on), and our triple-reefed main.

So far my experience has been that light airs sailing is far more important than heavy. Being properly equipped to keep the boat moving in light winds is far more of a regular challenge than dealing with storm conditions. I think the reason we see more and more sailboats turn into motorboats with sticks is that the owners are ill-equipped in equipment (sails and other rigging), skills, and perhaps time/patience, to sail in light winds.

BTW, when we head truly offshore I'll likely get an actual storm jib. Not yet convinced (either way) about a tri-sail, although our boat is already equipped with a second mast track.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:31   #26

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Currently don't have either but considering a cruising chute for downwind as we only have a 114% furling geona.

If cruising further offshore then I would definitely consider a storm jib.

Any ideas if it would be possible to make a furling jib that could be used as both a jib and a storm jib?

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:53   #27

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Our Tayana is set up with a Yankee, a staysail on a boom and a triple reef cruising main. Heavy weather sails are the staysail and reefer main. Once sailed through hours of 45-50 knots with staysail only (beam reach). I would like an asymmetrical chute but so far not enough to spend the money on it.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:53   #28

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Everything is "workable". But you need to think about whether you want to live with the performance of that heavy head sail 99.9% of the time in order to be able to use it as "storm" sail that other 0.1% of time. I bet I get caught out in light wind at least 20 times more often than heavy wind, which is why I have a spinnaker but no storm sail.

And whether you even really need a storm sail at all.
How one would make that trade-off would depend on where one sails.

I am happy to have a heavy staysail as I don't think it harms performance much. I only use the staysail in high winds, or in light winds forward of the beam. The heavy cloth would effect the shape off the wind in light air, but that isn't when I'd use the sail.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:51   #29

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
A spinnaker, a gennaker, two banniakers, trysail, storm jib.
----
Two what?
Old 10-04-2015, 10:06   #30

Depends on the rig type.
If outfitting a boat I would likely have a storm jib, no trysail, no spinnaker.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails, spinnaker