Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2016, 08:53   #16

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: St Petersburg boat show

Courigans is closest to the show, good typical irish pub.

During the day, theres a place technically on campus at USF called "Tavern at Bayboro", best grouper sandwich in town, hands down

The Hangar is a neat restaurant in the upstairs lobby of the little airport, so you can sit outside and watch planes take off and land, weather would be perfect for it.

Frescos is the only reataurant downtown actually ON the water, but their food is meh in my opinion.

You can't go wrong on beach dr., lots of cool spots for dinner.

Venture down central ave. to find much better watering holes, as well as breweries (Cycle, Green Bench)
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 07:31   #17

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

We go to the st Petersburg boat show every year. Good selection of boats and the are willing to spend allot of time with you.
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:19   #18

Boat: Beneteau First 42
St Pete boat show follow-up

For the sake of the exercise I thought we'd post a follow up on this show. In a word, disappointing, at least from a sailor's perspective.

This year the number of power-boats and particularly the sub-30 foot open boats with two, three, or four "outboards", some the size of a 1960's era VW, vastly outnumbered sail boats. Several hundred power boats were jammed cheek to jowl together many towering over walkways making seeing anything beyond their over loaded extended transom platforms nearly impossible. There were only a few sailboat makers in attendance: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Catalina, Hunter. There were a number of other sailing yachts and catamarans on display but were "pre-owned" boats being offered by brokers, of which there were many in attendance.

We found the "new" sailing yacht offerings disappointing with very "stark" modernist interior accommodations with sharp corners proliferating and few, if any, hand holds or grab rails. We, and particularly my (much) better half, cannot imagine moving about below on some of these boats while underway in any kind of a sea/weather. Chart tables, where they existed, were smaller than 1/4 of a standard chart, if that, and so would be effectively useless. One representative opined that with the new chart-plotters, no one has a need for paper charts any longer. Of course, ironically, a few minutes later someone apparently knocked the boat's shore-power cable loose and all the electric's aboard immediately went down, including the elaborate displays. Finishes, were the most disappointing, with little woodwork anywhere. Rather, everything seemed to be wood looking plastic or Formica. Access to engine spaces was almost universally poor short of major disassembly of the overlaying interior finishes although it was difficult to see how one might be able to do that.

The displays in the two tent's for equipment vendors were equally poor with seemingly better than half of the exhibitors having little or nothing to do with the marine industry. Hawkers of Time-Share Condo's, hot tubs, reclining "barcoloungers", jewelry, blender/food processors, clothes, running shoes, self-heating warming pads, etc.etc. etc. We looked in vain for a B&G vendor/representative as we need new instruments and I am torn between B&G and Furuno and hoped to get some first hand information on compatibilities but came away empty handed.

Given the foregoing, we'll be passing on the show in future....

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:27   #19

We spent maybe 2 hours there on Saturday. I thought the scanning of IDs at the entrance was disturbing. They seemed to be collecting marketing data. I declined but everyone else in line let them scan their drivers licenses.

Also very disappointed in the boats on display and the variety.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:03   #20

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

I second the disappointment for St Pete show. I was also wanting some electronics vendors. There was only a radar display. Lots of ** ** things. I worked hard to stay 2 hours.
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:08   #21

Re: St Pete boat show follow-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
In a word, disappointing, at least from a sailor's perspective.
I'm afraid that I have to agree.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:06   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Meh-- the boats designs are to the market. The size of the show reflects the softness in the market. Regarding ID- I never have my D/L. Want my government ID? Here is my passport card. Much safer than a D/L from an ID cloning perspective.

What drives me crazy how few new boats have operating ports. If that show was held on a warm day, those cabins would all be sweat boxes.

Couple of nifty gadgets like the wireless boat control. Not that I would spend that much --- but an nice toy.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:56   #23

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32
Re: St Pete boat show follow-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
For the sake of the exercise I thought we'd post a follow up on this show. In a word, disappointing, at least from a sailor's perspective.

This year the number of power-boats and particularly the sub-30 foot open boats with two, three, or four "outboards", some the size of a 1960's era VW, vastly outnumbered sail boats. Several hundred power boats were jammed cheek to jowl together many towering over walkways making seeing anything beyond their over loaded extended transom platforms nearly impossible. There were only a few sailboat makers in attendance: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Catalina, Hunter. There were a number of other sailing yachts and catamarans on display but were "pre-owned" boats being offered by brokers, of which there were many in attendance.

We found the "new" sailing yacht offerings disappointing with very "stark" modernist interior accommodations with sharp corners proliferating and few, if any, hand holds or grab rails. We, and particularly my (much) better half, cannot imagine moving about below on some of these boats while underway in any kind of a sea/weather. Chart tables, where they existed, were smaller than 1/4 of a standard chart, if that, and so would be effectively useless. One representative opined that with the new chart-plotters, no one has a need for paper charts any longer. Of course, ironically, a few minutes later someone apparently knocked the boat's shore-power cable loose and all the electric's aboard immediately went down, including the elaborate displays. Finishes, were the most disappointing, with little woodwork anywhere. Rather, everything seemed to be wood looking plastic or Formica. Access to engine spaces was almost universally poor short of major disassembly of the overlaying interior finishes although it was difficult to see how one might be able to do that.

The displays in the two tent's for equipment vendors were equally poor with seemingly better than half of the exhibitors having little or nothing to do with the marine industry. Hawkers of Time-Share Condo's, hot tubs, reclining "barcoloungers", jewelry, blender/food processors, clothes, running shoes, self-heating warming pads, etc.etc. etc. We looked in vain for a B&G vendor/representative as we need new instruments and I am torn between B&G and Furuno and hoped to get some first hand information on compatibilities but came away empty handed.

Given the foregoing, we'll be passing on the show in future....

FWIW...
Kind of agree but it was my first boat show so we still enjoyed it, did spend some time speaking with brokers and even though I was clear I would not be purchasing for 12-18 months they were very open with info and advice. And that goes for pretty much everyone we met during the long weekend!

P.s. What was the story with sailboat washed up on the beach just north of he show a few hundred yards?

P.p.s. Also took my first two uber rides that weekend and that is the way forward...! With free tour guides / comedians thrown in...!

P.p.p.s
Courigans Was good also...
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 21:07   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven UK View Post
Does anyone have any comments or alternatives to the St Petersburg boat show in FL. I was thinking about taking the wife to Florida next month so I can go to the boat show. I missed the anapolis show unfortunately.

Plus the flights and hotels seem uncommonly cheep.
I'm a first and last time St. Pete Show attendee. I'll continue to use Google for research. The high point for me was Lee Chesneau's Weather seminar. The guy's wired. He's an expert witness in the M/V El Faro sinking. I think he's totally negative on the Master. Oh, credit cards were unacceptable.
crew overboard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat show