Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2016, 06:57   #1

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32
St Petersburg boat show

Does anyone have any comments or alternatives to the St Petersburg boat show in FL. I was thinking about taking the wife to Florida next month so I can go to the boat show. I missed the anapolis show unfortunately.

Plus the flights and hotels seem uncommonly cheep.
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:13   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: St Petersburg boat show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven UK View Post
Does anyone have any comments or alternatives to the St Petersburg boat show in FL. I was thinking about taking the wife to Florida next month so I can go to the boat show. I missed the anapolis show unfortunately.

Plus the flights and hotels seem uncommonly cheep.
There is the Miami Boat Show in February, the 16th-20th. It's likely a bit better/larger than the St. Pete show although hotel accommodations and travel may be somewhat more costly. Between the two, I prefer St. Pete and my (much) better half prefers Miami (we have friends and family there so stay for a couple of days doesn't cost us anything and we've been lucky to receive free tickets every year!).

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 06:45   #3

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

The Miami show has become kind of a joke in my opinion, while the St. Petersburg show seems to get better every year. In terms of boats, there are far more catamarans at the Miami show, but the St. Pete show had quite a good selection of new boats last year. Downtown St. Petersburg is extremely easy to get around, either by walking or bike share that is now available, and way less of a headache than Miami. There are a handful of hotels right downtown St. Pete, all within walking distance to the show. PM me if you have any detailed questions - I live in St. Pete and worked the show last year. Unfortunately I cannot get any tickets this year, but I can help you out as best I can.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 09:21   #4

Should be a great time. Will be interesting to compare to Annapolis.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 11:08   #5

purchased the air tickets i'm committed, see you there.
Old 15-11-2016, 11:10   #6

Boat: Nauticat 43

You don't indicate if you're interested in motor vessels or sailboats. But, the Southwest International Boat Show is held in the spring (Mar) and in the fall (Sep) at South Shore Harbor Marina near Houston. It has both types of boats in a good selection, both new and used. We've only had an eye for the sailboats. They've had classics, new models, both monohulls and cats. There's a good turnout of vendors. And, seminars are offered, some free, some at a cost. The Kemah area has one of the country's highest densities of boats with many marinas around Galveston Bay. Besides looking at a lot of boats, there are lots of good restaurants around to enjoy.
Ded reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 16:02   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
purchased the air tickets i'm committed, see you there.

You will love St Pete; good food, good sailing and great people. Only downside is that the Bahamas are a tad further.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 16:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded reckoner View Post
You don't indicate if you're interested in motor vessels or sailboats. But, the Southwest International Boat Show is held in the spring (Mar) and in the fall (Sep) at South Shore Harbor Marina near Houston. It has both types of boats in a good selection, both new and used. We've only had an eye for the sailboats. They've had classics, new models, both monohulls and cats. There's a good turnout of vendors. And, seminars are offered, some free, some at a cost. The Kemah area has one of the country's highest densities of boats with many marinas around Galveston Bay. Besides looking at a lot of boats, there are lots of good restaurants around to enjoy.
SAILBOATS...! my company has an office very close to Kemah and it will be the place i will base by boat, i have already scoped out the marinas e.t.c. if i can organise to be in the office around the time of the show i will definitely be going. but right now we are going into the MN winter so i will be going south at every opportunity for the next 4-5 months.
Old 15-11-2016, 16:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
You will love St Pete; good food, good sailing and great people. Only downside is that the Bahamas are a tad further.
i have been looking at the area today, i'm going in Thursday night and coming out Sunday. the idea is to bring the wife round to the idea of sailing. because if she doesn't it will mean i have to keep the house. and that thing would buy us corn flakes and flip-flop's till we die...
Old 16-11-2016, 05:22   #10

If the idea is to bring the wife around, then one of the "Discover Sailing" seminars would probably be worthwhile. They are run on nice boats, and the captains (at least, the ones that I know) are great people who really enjoy introducing others to sailing. It is a relatively short, gentle sail out into the bay, so no heavy winds, big waves, or steep heeling.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 10:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
If the idea is to bring the wife around, then one of the "Discover Sailing" seminars would probably be worthwhile. They are run on nice boats, and the captains (at least, the ones that I know) are great people who really enjoy introducing others to sailing. It is a relatively short, gentle sail out into the bay, so no heavy winds, big waves, or steep heeling.
actually sounds ideal, thanks.
Old 16-11-2016, 10:46   #12

Boat: None

Circumstances were such that I was able to go to St. Pete, Miami, and Annapolis over the last 12 months.

St. Pete is the nicest in many ways, but the sailboat inventory is the smallest of the three. Most of the big manufacturers are there. But you won't likely see a Garcia, for example, in St. Pete. It's combined power and sail, which is kind of neat. No brokerage boats last year, new only. Stay at the Ponce de Leon in downtown. The rooms are small, but's it's just a really cool hotel (and cheap, too). Be sure and eat at least once at the Red Mesa Cantina. And if you have any interest at all, the Salvador Dali museum is right by the boat show, and well worth the time and money.

Miami was just not that great. It was bigger than St. Pete, but not by some huge amount. At least, that's the case at the Strictly Sail part, we never went to the powerboat site. If I had to choose to return to one of the Florida shows, it would be St. Pete. There were some brokerage boats in Miami, though, which was nice.

Annapolis was a different world. It was ginormous. Every vendor imaginable, and most boat builders were there. If you're really interested in sailboats and gear, this US Sailboat Show in Annapolis has no peer. And like St. Pete, Annapolis is just a really fantastic little place to visit. (But much pricier than St. Pete)

Also, try hard to go on the first day (the VIP day), which is typically Thursday. The crowds are at their smallest and the vendors are not yet jaded...
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 11:00   #13

some awesome info there, my hotel is within a mile of the show. i'll be going on Friday then spending time in the area on Saturday and Sunday. where would be a good place to have a 'refreshing adult beverage' after dinner with like minded people?
Old 17-11-2016, 08:21   #14

Quote:
where would be a good place to have a 'refreshing adult beverage' after dinner with like minded people?
I like Chattaways

St Pete Restaurant | The Chattaway - Home of Good Food | St. Pete, FL
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 08:22   #15

Lot's of places in St. Pete for a drink! A few that I've been to and enjoyed...
Fresco's Waterfront
The Moon Under Water
Courigans
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat show