Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2019, 09:49   #1

Boat: 1984 Nor'Sea27
Standing Desk and Work Space Ideas Needed

I constantly am behind on number crunching and writing (for work) and am debating how to incorporate ergonomic desk space below and above deck. I really feel computer use is damaging the spines of modern humans so I want to be able to change positions often, stand, sit, maybe other positions a yoga teacher would be proud of. Laptops on a lap are only ergonomic a small % of the time. Surely some of you also are working while aboard. If you have time to describe your desk space or how you made laptop use ergonomic PLEASE do. Photos are greatly appreciated! Bonus if you can use 2 screens and a real mouse.
I am doing a refit right now and it is a good time to think ahead and build in the infrastructure for productivity and ergonomics.

I sampled many sit down chart tables and desks in boats over the years, because of my height I find most pretty uncomfortable.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!!!!!!

(Note: I debated what category this thread should be in for numerous days. Sorry if I missed a better spot)
cadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 12:57   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Standing Desk and Work Space Ideas Needed

As a modern human who spent decades destroying my neck and spine hunched over computers, I can tell you two things that help a lot just by freeing you from the necessity to hunch over a keyboard/monitor.

1: A keyboard which either has a long cable or better yet is wireless + a big display you can see from a further distance and elevated on a mounting bracket. These 2 items in combination allow you to assume a more comfortable position than hunched over a keyboard and monitor afixed to a desk. Like kicked back in a comfy chair looking up a bit at the monitor w the kb in your lap. This config can be implemented with 2 monitors.

2: A tablet gives you total freedom of posture, you can assume almost any postion including lying on your back. A tablet could also be used to remotely access your laptop giving you freedom of movement plus access to your familiar laptop.

Re the refit, info on the make/model of boat and some pics would help with related refit ideas.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 15:51   #3

Quote:
> "the refit, info on the make/model of the boat and some pics would help with related refit ideas."
I am hoping not to put anyone in a paradigm. What works on their boat might not superficially appear to work on on mine, but i am typically good at making modifications happen and incorporating ideas and feedback. But per your request, Belizesailor, I will send just that. Let me sketch out the layout as my center cockpit nor'sea 27 came with many factory finish layouts over the decades. Give me a couple days.

Still eager to hear peoples feelings and see photos.
Old 14-08-2019, 16:54   #4

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

I reckon Belize is onto it. Do you have a TV on board? That serving as a large see-from-anywhere monitor with a wireless keyboard and mouse allows you to sit anywhere that you can see the TV and work. Notebook stays safe in the chart table (or wherever you normally store it.

Problem with most chart table setups that are not a “contained” environment typically found on a sail boat is that in the seaway they’re not really all that great.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 05:39   #5

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I recently made a major alteration to the chart table layout on my boat. Whilst this does not actually address the problem Cadmus outlines, it does show what can be done with a bit of out-of-square thinking. See CHART TABLE
I’m a writer and use a wide screen laptop with a full size wireless keyboard.
Belizesailor has a good answer. A large TV screen hooked through your laptop and a wireless keyboard which can be used anywhere within sight, sitting, standing, upside down, in bed, etc.
Old 15-08-2019, 09:08   #6

For the second monitor, I use a monitor arm clamped to the mast (in my boat, it is keel-stepped, so the mast comes in the middle of the cabin). When I sail, I take off the monitor and store it away (I have a bracket in a locker ready for it), and fold the arm next to the mast.
For the adjustable "desk", I adapted something similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/Standing-Adju...a-585538835909 on top of the folding table in the cabin (you can take this apart and use just the adjustable legs and replace the top with something that fits and matches the rest of the wood), so it does not "protrude" (it is also removable, if needed, you can use the same fittings used in removable dodgers). I use the laptop (with its monitor), with the larger monitor as the second monitor.
If I want to sit, I sit on the cabin couch with the "desk" in the low position, if I want to stand, I move and rotate by 90 degrees and I stand (now facing the forward cabin) with the "desk" in the high position.
It is a good approximation of what I have at the office (the only position not supported is sitting with the desk in high position, which would require an adjustable stool, but it is not a position that I like anyway).
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 10:43   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I recently made a major alteration to the chart table layout on my boat. Whilst this does not actually address the problem Cadmus outlines, it does show what can be done with a bit of out-of-square thinking. See CHART TABLE
Belizesailor has a good answer. A large TV screen hooked through your laptop and a wireless keyboard which can be used anywhere within sight, sitting, standing, upside down, in bed, etc.
Cool, thats definately a traditional throw back.

I used to crew on a tall ship (the ELISSA) and the officers' quarters were furnished with some traditional furniture from the era (1877).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 14:34   #8

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
That is a really cool modification. Given that navigating on paper is now (emergencies aside) essentially a thing of the past, my chart table is basically useless space that now also needs a fair amount of restoration/modernisation.

I can see a furniture search in my future.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 16:24   #9

Boat: 1979 Hunter 30

Here's a Mod I recently completed.
You can sit at the sides or stand at the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Intuition-New Chart table1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	197926  
Sea King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 16:49   #10

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Workspace erganomics is quite a specialized subject and needs individual assment. If you can get anyone with experience in physitheropy or ocupational theropy that could be useful. The basic principles are that sitting or standing your spine should be relaxed in its natural curves naintaing the hollow in your back. Your arms from shoulder to elbow should be straight down not reaching forward. The point of your shoulder should be below or behind the earlobe. Forarms should be colse to a right angle but slightly raised with the wrists suported so that the back of your hand is level not arched up when typing. The screens should be positioned so that your head is upright when looking at the centre of the main screen and should be straight ahead. The screen should be about 3 to 6 inches further away than closesed focus point. If using twin screens set up for the main monitor but if you regularly use 2 large screens such as in design or graphics work a swivel chair is preferable. If you work sitting for any longish period the chair should be set so that your feet are flat on the floor derectly below or just in fron of youe knees. Also check for pressure at the front edge of the chair by placing a sheet of paper on it to a point half way between the back of your knees and buttocks. When sitting the paper should easily slide out (this is to prevent restriction of circulation)
Even with a good setup it is important that about every 10 min you look at something in the diatance such as out of a window for 30 sec to allow your eye muscles to relax. Also get up and walk around for a couple of min every 20 min.
Hope this helps because you are right to consider it important. Anyone spendin more than 2 hours a day at a desk needs a proper setup.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 17:12   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Workspace erganomics is quite a specialized subject and needs individual assment. If you can get anyone with experience in physitheropy or ocupational theropy that could be useful. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Anyone spendin more than 2 hours a day at a desk needs a proper setup.

Good points. Architectural Graphic Standards used to have plates showing ergonomics. It was a "trade" book but very interesting. Including phsyical properties of "average" folks and how desks, tables, and chairs were designed to make things work properly with people. Like boating forums: trying to avoid reinventing the wheel.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 17:53   #12

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

We have a permanently (but removable) Dell laptop on a shelf over our chart table. (see photo)

The shelf can retract to clear more chart table area.

The user can be seated on a swing out stool (not shown) or standing. A backrest on the stool would be nice but we didn't want to intrude on the walkway path forward.

The laptop's keyboard is what we use but a full sized keyboard can be plugged in and placed on the chart table beneath the laptop.

The mouse is on a mouse pad beneath the laptop. A scanner can be plugged in and placed beneath the laptop.

The 1980 x 1080 24" monitor and the 1980 x 1440 15" laptop screen give a lot of resolution for spreadsheets and images.

The 24"monitor can swing on an arm to be adjacent to the laptop screen. (We leave it extended to the center of the boat to allow more seating positions when viewing movies or TV)

The printer is a portable but it stays there.

There are connections for the external wi-fi antenna and the cell phone modem, plus pactor/ssb connection so we have connectivity at all times.

This system is driven by an inverter so we have power whenever the batteries are charged.

This work station is for navigating, while at sea or in port, for internet browsing, and for working.

This is a custom design which we built. We've used it for 30+ years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	192731-Wings' Nav station.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	375.7 KB
ID:	197930  
Old 16-08-2019, 06:03   #13

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

What nobody has mentioned yet is that our “shipboard offices” constantly move, not just side to side, but front to back, all at the same time. This injects the question of balance into the scenario, especially when standing up.
Old 16-08-2019, 09:23   #14

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
What nobody has mentioned yet is that our “shipboard offices” constantly move, not just side to side, but front to back, all at the same time. This injects the question of balance into the scenario, especially when standing up.
Yes, so...handhold left and handhold right, and handholds across the front, and above, just below the outlet, and when sitting, ability to turn on the stool and place your foot out to brace yourself. Still, I fell against the closed laptop and my elbow cracked the screen. Time to plug in the spare.
Old 24-11-2019, 21:20   #15

belizesailor, CassidyNZ , FabioC, Sea King, roland stockham, Stu Jackson, Jolly Roger, wingssail, Thanks for weighing in and posting ideas. I was delayed in responding as I started making a graphic of the layout to address belizesailor's request for more information. Then i dropped the ball. I still plan to post that. Give me a few. Again, thanks for the ideas. I will take these and future ones to heart.