Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2024, 08:07   #1

standing rigging replace

Replacing all standng rigging Cal 2-29
checking prices on 1/19 316 ss wire and sta-lok
developed spreadsheet to compare prices:
Defender, Vela, Rigging Only, Cable Loft
Vela and Rigging Only were the highest of the four
Defender was a bit lower but Cable Loft was far and away lower on both the Sta-Loks and wire
Anyone have any experience with Cable Loft. With such a difference in price I am a little suspicious. Sta-Loks are Sta-Loks but wire? here's an example
vender per foot
7/32 1x19 1/2 “ and 7/16 marine eyes vela 37’9” 1.60
wire vela 1.60
wire cable loft 1.18
eyes 1/2 defender 52.99
eyes 7/16 defender 52.99
eyes 7/16 rigging only 58.73
eyes 7/16 vela 57.80
eyes 1/2 cable loft 47.04
Anyone have any other vendor suggestions
Also if you have replaced rigging, how much stretch have you noticed comparing the spec lengths to removed rigging.
blackbeard10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 11:10   #2

Boat: Oyster 435
Re: standing rigging replace

This doesn’t answer your questions but I can share my experience. Our old Catalina 28 standing rigging was well over 20 years old and I replaced it myself. Beyond the standing rigging, I ended up replacing, internal wiring, mast head sheaves, nav lights, coax and antenna. Like today wire and hardware costs had considerable price variation.
To this day I prefer swaged fittings but was open to mechanical.
In my case I used West Marine Rigging Shop. At the time they had Navtec dyform wire deeply discounted. I was able to talk to an experienced rigger who answered my questions about wire and fitting quality. Prior to pulling the mast I marked the locations where swage stud entered the turnbuckle and dropped off the wires at my local WM store. They provided free shipping to/from the rigging shop. The same rigger who answered my questions called and we worked out the remaining details. I don’t recall that we made any adjustments for rigging stretch but the rigger may have done it without my knowledge. That said, I measured the wire prior to installation and they were very similar in length.
Due to the discounted wire, the use of swaged fittings, and free shipping, the job came in well under half price as compared to purchasing 1x19, and mechanical fittings. I did use a Hayden mechanical fitting on the forestay because I needed to snake the wire through the headsail furler extrusion (which turned out to be easy). As I recall the whole deal shipped to my local store, including wire, turnbuckles, pins, studs, and toggles was just under $2K.

In your case I’d recommend calling Cable Loft, explain what you want do do, and ask about the cost difference in fittings and wire. Also, I’ve heard (but can’t confirm) that 1x19 comes with some sort of documentation that confirms that it meets industry standards.

Good luck with your rigging work.
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 14:17   #3

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeard10 View Post
Defender was a bit lower but Cable Loft was far and away lower on both the Sta-Loks and wire
Anyone have any experience with Cable Loft. With such a difference in price I am a little suspicious. Sta-Loks are Sta-Loks but wire? here's an example
vender per foot
wire vela 1.60
wire cable loft 1.18
eyes 1/2 defender 52.99
eyes 7/16 defender 52.99
eyes 7/16 vela 57.80
Also if you have replaced rigging, how much stretch have you noticed comparing the spec lengths to removed rigging.
My guess is cable loft is either not buying KOS wire (you can ask for a cert) or is simply willing to operate on much lower margins than everyone else.

Contact me at the Vendor Spotlight for more information.
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 14:39   #4

Maybe I'm stating the obvious but Cable Loft is the online store for Seco South. I've seen a few posts talking about their rigging.

I don't know where mine came from - I trusted the yard to do the work (and paid a premium I'm sure).
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 14:51   #5

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

I would add that with a small tolerance dimensions are pretty critical. If you’re not providing the old rigging to match, be sure you and the rigger understand just what the measuring points are. I have supplied old rigging to match and it STILL came up short. If it happens to you, usually a rigging toggle will fix it.
Old 23-01-2024, 04:59   #6

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeard10 View Post
vender per foot
wire vela 1.60
wire cable loft 1.18
eyes 1/2 defender 52.99
eyes 7/16 defender 52.99
eyes 7/16 vela 57.80
Happy to bid on this if you want to send us your rigging specs -
We should be able to compete.
stephen@theyachtrigger.com
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2024, 05:57   #7

Thanks for the responses. What I learned from this process. We are doing all the work on the refit of our Cal 2-29. So DIY for the standing rigging seemed like a no brainer using Sta-lok mechanical fittings. If you make it, you can fix.
Our sailing with Cal will be on the Great Lakes and not in the South Pacific so the availability of parts for rigging is not so important. A quote from The Yacht Rigger for all swaged fittings was substantial lower than our best price for DIY mechanical fittings and wire. We will be sending our existing rigging to The Yacht Rigger so they can build our rig.
blackbeard10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging