Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2019, 04:10   #136
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
You never get searched in the western Caribbean...
You might find some slight variation between different jurisdictions.

There are 30 different political divisions in the Caribbean, including independent countries and dependent territories. ➥ https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...countries.html
The Caribbean archipelago encompasses more than 7,000 individual islands in an approximately 1-million-square-mile region. There are 13 sovereign island nations, and 12 dependent territories. Another 10 Latin American countries include Caribbean coastlines.
I counted 26 Caribbean Island Nations ➥ Caribbean Countries | Operation World
By way of comparison, I believe there are 21 countries which border the Mediterranean Sea.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:48   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
On a side note... how practical is it to have an AK47 aboard in the Caribbean? Is it worth the trouble when checking in and out? Or how about a shotgun? Any easier with the authorities? I wasn’t planning on having any firearms onboard, but if it’s not too much of a hassle...

Anyone with some recent experience? Probably best to send me a private message so we don’t start WWIII with the anti gun zealots.
I can't imagine you'd be doing anything other than trolling with this comment. An AK-47 on a boat doesn't even make sense for anyone with experience using guns in close quarters, but it is a good way to spark controversy, which seems to be your goal here. If you actually care about the answer do a search, there are a dozen threads with very detailed explanations of the procedures you're allegedly interested in. But please restrict your trolling to the kind you do with a fishing line behind your boat
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:06   #138

Boat: a sailing boat

Good move.

ALWAYS avoid confrontation. Move away if you can.

I do not say 'do not bite back'. Just do not bark.

When you react in any angry way to a verbal threat, you will be held by local police as de facto attacker.

You can always report the incident to a different police station within the same country, where your chances of the officers not being linked with the offenders are way much higher.

These are small communities, everybody is a family of everybody else.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:40   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Only on the internet does anyone think that a middle aged, slightly overweight male with a fancy flashlight will win a fight against a 26 year old with a knife who beats people up every day for fun.
This just in the news...old men CAN occasionally kick some a$$.......

65 YEAR OLD MAN OVERPOWERS GUNMAN

Oslo, Norway (CNN)The man suspected of opening fire at a mosque in the Norwegian capital of Oslo on Saturday has expressed right-wing sympathies online, the police said in a news conference Sunday.

Superintendent Rune Skjold told reporters the suspect, described only as a Norwegian man in his 20s, has praised figures like Vidkun Quisling, the leader of Norway under Nazi occupation during World War II.
The shooting is being investigated as a "possible act of terrorism," police said.
The man has been charged with the murder of a woman found dead in his home and is also facing an attempted murder charge in the shooting at Al-Noor Islamic Center in Oslo. One person was injured in the incident, sustaining minor injuries, police said.
Shortly after the attack, investigators found the body of a young woman at the suspect's home in Baerum, just west of Oslo. Police said the woman was related to the suspect, but did not specify how.

******The suspected shooter was overpowered during the attack by a 65-year-old man named Mohamed Rafiq, said his counsel Abdul-Satar Ali on Sunday.
Speaking to the press with Rafiq at his side, Ali said: "Mohamed acted immediately when the shooter entered the room. He toppled the shooter and pinned him to the floor, (and) sat on top of him."*********

Earlier, a member of the mosque told Norwegian state broadcaster NRK that Rafiq was 75 years old, but his counsel confirmed to CNN that he is 65.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:50   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Good move.

ALWAYS avoid confrontation. Move away if you can.

I do not say 'do not bite back'. Just do not bark.

When you react in any angry way to a verbal threat, you will be held by local police as de facto attacker.

You can always report the incident to a different police station within the same country, where your chances of the officers not being linked with the offenders are way much higher.

These are small communities, everybody is a family of everybody else.

b.
If you're addressing the Salt Whistle incident.....

Taking a photo of the man with criminal intent and submitting it to the police is an option...... Maybe not the wisest course of action, since doing so may escalate the situation into a confrontation if said criminal attempted to take the smartphone.

Also, as you already know, the authorities probably already know of this guy and he could even be a relative. Waste of time more than likely.

Just hate seeing a bully and extortionist prevail in his attempt at criminal intimidation.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:22   #141

Boat: Cal 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mush View Post
Maritime law requires a posted watch 24/7 ....
Pretty sure Colregs 5 only refers to underway, if that's the 'law' you are referring to. But I'm always happy to learn something new if you have another source that shows at anchor.
captainwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:34   #142

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Where is the ‘fun’ in boating if you park/anchor in a high risk hostile anchorage? Many things in life need or at least should be avoided
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:42   #143
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I can't imagine you'd be doing anything other than trolling with this comment. An AK-47 on a boat doesn't even make sense for anyone with experience using guns in close quarters, but it is a good way to spark controversy, which seems to be your goal here. If you actually care about the answer do a search, there are a dozen threads with very detailed explanations of the procedures you're allegedly interested in. But please restrict your trolling to the kind you do with a fishing line behind your boat
It’s a serious question that’s looking for a serious answer, not a lecture. In the US, I have permits for these firearms. If the subject bothers you, please ignore my post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D1CBB9D-2844-4B86-B504-8AC18DD88D34.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	197711  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:56   #144

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
It’s a serious question that’s looking for a serious answer, not a lecture. In the US, I have permits for these firearms. If the subject bothers you, please ignore my post.
If you ever use any of your prized firearms against people for any reason any where, please share here in the forums the joys of your legal experiences.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:03   #145

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

The picture you post here says everything about your "character".
No more comments needed. Sad story.
Quote:
Old 11-08-2019, 14:47   #146

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
On a side note... how practical is it to have an AK47 aboard in the Caribbean? Is it worth the trouble when checking in and out? Or how about a shotgun? Any easier with the authorities? I wasn’t planning on having any firearms onboard, but if it’s not too much of a hassle...

The situation varies from one country to the next. You may find this thread instructive: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ntry-1641.html

There are many people from the USA who lawfully have firearms on board for a journey to the Bahamas and back. Beyond that, check-in procedures would be unpredictable, and there are countries that you could not visit with firearms aboard. There are enough of these to complicate a trip, among them:

* Mexico
* Dominica
* Martinique
* Colombia

Since essentially none of the Caribbean countries allow you to have firearms out and available for use, the only value in bringing them would be to have them while on the high seas.

The USA and Canada are, I believe, the only nations that treat an AK-47 any differently from the sort of large-magazine, open choke shotguns that are typically carried for self defense.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 14:49   #147

I gotta say I'm pretty impressed....145 replies so far and pretty much have kept guns out of the discussion until now

Well now....This is what I've gotten from this discussion so far......

1) Don't be an idiot and anchor in a known sketchy area IF you have a choice.

2) Don't even think of engaging in a physical confrontation if you're an older guy.

3) Basic precautions, like lights and sirens are good. Reinforced hatches and companionway is good.

4) Bear spray and pepper spray are carried by a lot of cruisers. Wasp spray is useless.

5) Make friends with the locals.

6) Most cruisers DON'T stand watch for intruders in a sketchy area.

7) No consensus if being lit is prudent or not.

8) Dogs are good.

9) No consensus on improvised weapons and exotic pets like cougars, lions and tigers.

10) If you're an American, guns could be good...not so much for the rest of the world.

I think that about covers it. Oh, one more thing. It has been opined that if one has ANY concerns at all for safety and security, you are "PARANOID" and should stay in hotels and take up other hobbies such as golf.

Did I miss anything?
Old 11-08-2019, 16:10   #148

Quote:
If you've actually used an AK-47 in close quarters or on a boat then you'd know it's not a serious question. Some of us did the armed boarding thing for a living, happy to talk about what we carried and it wasn't assault rifles! The only thing about your question that bothers me is abject ignorance it contains, which again speaks to the fact that it was purposely designed to troll. Trolls make everything around them just a little bit worse, so no, we don't need to let you do that here without calling you on it.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 16:39   #149

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

The bad thing about a knife fight... you always get injured even when you win.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:55   #150

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Well now....This is what I've gotten from this discussion so far......

...Did I miss anything?
I'm pretty sure that you have read this thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ns-220929.html but anyway here was the last summary of it that I collated (not sure why the thread was closed, possibly because of all the crazies suggesting flamethrowers and AK47s... Someone even suggested setting the whole boat on fire... ):

Post #193: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2937313

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002
I'm trying to keep a running summary going so it's time for an update again.

In general the summary of this thread, to protect yourself, is mostly:

- a Light and Alarm System
- a Secured Boat to discourage opportunists (dinghy up, locked, etc)
- a Restriction of Access (grills, bars, etc, on companionways & hatches)
- a Camera on deck (for viewing when you are locked in down below)
- a Pepper Spray arsenal in the case of actual confrontation (liquid/gel type)

All of the above seems to be within reasonably achievable levels of cost, practicality, ability, skill, etc, for most cruisers.

Items can be commercially purchased, DIY, or a combination thereof to suit the budgets of most cruisers.

NB:
- Firearms are not included due to multiple difficulties associated with them.

- Fish Bats, Hand Spears, and other such Weapons are not included due to the fact that these weapons require close quarters and some physical ability (think about age, skill, partners, children, etc, etc) and if taken may be used against you, possibly with lethal consequences.

- A Pepper Spray arsenal is included because it can be used by anyone, has low physical or skill requirements, and enables some type of distance proximity to be gained, even if it's just a few feet inside the cockpit or cabin, and some moments of time to take further action.

- Most cruisers seem to report minimal issues clearing in with Pepper Spray. It can also be carried and used ashore. In any case, be aware of local regulations.

- The Alarm, Lights, and Restricted Access are intended to help prevent such close proximity occuring in the first place, with the Pepper Spray only finally being used if necessary.

- Having a Boarding Action Plan is suggested. Practice it.

- Training in the use of your security equipment is suggested. Practice with it.

And here are some links to possibly useful equipment posted by members:

Pirate Lights Security System (commercial but by cruisers)
https://www.piratelights.com/
Yacht Soggy Paws Security
S/V Soggy Paws - St. Francis 44 - Tools, Spares, Manuals, and Security Issues
Security Bars/Grill thread
Security Bars / Polycarbonate
GostGlobal Security - Boat Security
https://www.gostglobal.com/boat-secu..._yacht-alarms/
GostGlobal Security - Strobe Lights
https://www.gostglobal.com/boat-alar...kages/strobes/
Budget Motion Activated Flood Light for DIY (same as PirateLights uses)
https://www.amazon.com/GLW-Waterproo...sr=1-8-catcorr
Budget Alarm Siren for DIY
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Contin...oding=UTF8&me=
Flagship Marine Boat Alarm
Flagship Marine Security - Quality Boat Alarms

Also a big thank you to all members who have posted useful information here, especially those who posted personal experiences with such boardings which really helps to demonstrate what works and is practical, and what doesn't and is not.

daletournier - Boarding Incident & Companionway/Hatch Bars/Grill
Boarded with bad intentions?
gruffa - Yacht Soggy Paws Security link
Sojourner - Companionway/Hatch Bars/Grill & Panic Room/Fortified Cabin
jmh2002 - Pirate Lights Security Alarm & Light System
Gaia - Boarding Incident
Jdege - Security, Lighting, & Deterrence
Sailing August - Security & Pepper Spray
wingssail - Security, Lighting, & Alarm
endlesspursuit - Security, Deadbolt, & Pepper Spray
alctel - Security & Motion Lights
Dave_S - Security, Lighting, & Alarm
Sojourner - GostGlobal link
bcboomer - Boarding Incident
a64pilot - Budget Motion Light & Siren links
Paul L - False Alarms & FlagShip Marine link
a64pilot - False Alarms & Settings
a64pilot - False Alarms & Settings
gruffa - Sailing Seatramp Boarding Incident link
jmh2002 - Lights & Siren Deterrence, & Camera link
Group9 - The importance of a Plan
hcfirstlight - Boarding Incident & Companionway/Hatch Bars/Grill
svmariane - Budget Alarm System links
Sojourner - GostGlobal links

(links broken because of the closed thread, go to the original post here: Post #193: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2937313)

And let's try to keep discussion of this serious subject, serious please.

Hope this helps
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, grass