Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2019, 19:50   #166

Boat: Somebody else's boat......
Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post

And YES, i believe a spotlight is essential.
I never see people ever have these on deck while making ocean passage, and I don't know why. Great for marking your location to passing freighters in the night, discouraging "uninvited guests", and finding the mate that fell overboard in the blow on a moonless passage night.

Night vision equipment is cheap enought to warrant adding it to your watch kit, too. Get a monocular / pvs-14 version. They allow you to largely keep your night vision while using the other eye to see in the dark. Great for evening watch to help see lights on passing freighters, or the cigarette butts of "fishermen".....approaching your yacht at zero-dark in the morning for....reasons.
Dan Mosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 01:05   #167

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailing4Jesus

This brings up the ever growing need for yachts to armed. There are evil people all over the world that will murder all aboard and not suffer for that crime even one day. Not too long ago a yacht was seized by Somali Pirates. All of the Christian Missionaries aboard were brutally murdered and their sailing yacht stolen, yet as far as I know nothing happened to those devils. I am powerless but I can still speak my mind. It is past the time for The United Nations to pass an international law which allows private yachts to be armed and if needed, to use force to protect themselves. This world of Politically Correct is in my opinion as rotten as all the rotten politicians.

Senior Chief Freeman, United States Navy, Retired
Sailing4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 01:24   #168

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN

Although some might say that I am crazy, however, there should be a way that one could connect 220 Volts to the yachts safety lines, so that when a would be criminal attempts to climb aboard he gets FRIED. It would require that all hands be warned not to get up in the middle of the night and go on deck with the intention of peeing over the side. Ouch!
Old 20-11-2019, 02:06   #169

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing4Jesus View Post
This brings up the ever growing need for yachts to armed...... It is past the time for The United Nations to pass an international law which allows private yachts to be armed and if needed,
You're in Spain aren't you? Do you find you need firearms on board in Spain? I guess the queues at the ice cream parlours can get quite fraught if they run out of Vanilla flavour.

Do you have much of a problem travelling around Europe with guns checking in and out of each country?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 03:16   #170

Boat: custom trawler catamaran 50 feet
Angry Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

Quote:
Although some might say that I am crazy, however, there should be a way that one could connect 220 Volts to the yachts safety lines, so that when a would be criminal attempts to climb aboard he gets FRIED. It would require that all hands be warned not to get up in the middle of the night and go on deck with the intention of peeing over the side. Ouch!
One a catamaran with back platform/ladder,one way to go is a stainless mesh on the floor wired to one cable of an 220 v inverter and the other cable in the water... or hock on a nearby brass sea cock...switch this by night only,everybody that will board your boat by night in an anchorage has very bad intentions...
rapanui 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 03:25   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
You're in Spain aren't you? Do you find you need firearms on board in Spain? I guess the queues at the ice cream parlours can get quite fraught if they run out of Vanilla flavour.

Do you have much of a problem travelling around Europe with guns checking in and out of each country?

Pete
Pete, As far as I am aware of I am the only American residing in Spain with permission to keep my Smith & Wesson 32 Cal Pistol, dated 27 March 1894 on the barrel, which belonged to my Great Grandfather William Pinkerton Williamsson, a Colonel in The Alabama 32nd Brigade during The American Civil War. He was captured in the beginning of the final year of that terrible war and was one year in a Prisoner Of War camp in New york State. When the war ended he walked every step of the way home to his farm in Tuscaloosa County, arriving four months later.

As for Guns and Spain, only Shotguns are legal to own in Spain, unless like myself one had a High Up Guardia Civil Officer Friend Hook Me Up (He was Number Two Guadia Civil at that time for All Spain). He had the pistol almost three years, but one day a knock on my door and there stood two Guadia Civil Officers with my pistol. It is registered at The Office Of El Jefe Superior De Policía Nacional de España, Puerto Del Sol, Madrid. And as I mentioned, as far as I know I am the Only American with such a permission.

As for Guns and Spain, remember, a gun can kill no one. People kill people, not guns. Amen
Old 20-11-2019, 03:39   #172

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
As for Guns and Spain, remember, a gun can kill no one. People kill people, not guns. Amen
Quite, I thought for a minute whilst reading your earlier posts we were going to end up with a debate on guns. From past experience it's not a subject that ends well on CF
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 10:19   #173

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
This brings up the ever growing need for yachts to armed. There are evil people all over the world that will murder all aboard and not suffer for that crime even one day. Not too long ago a yacht was seized by Somali Pirates. All of the Christian Missionaries aboard were brutally murdered and their sailing yacht stolen, yet as far as I know nothing happened to those devils. I am powerless but I can still speak my mind. It is past the time for The United Nations to pass an international law which allows private yachts to be armed and if needed, to use force to protect themselves. This world of Politically Correct is in my opinion as rotten as all the rotten politicians.

I doubt UN Law would influence many countries to ignore their own laws. If your vessel is flagged in a country that allows you to be armed, it is probably OK to arm your vessel.
You will likely have a lot of trouble checking in at other countries. Some countries will allow you entry but will put your firearms in a vault until you clear out. That means sailing back to your port of entry to clear out, and trusting that your firearm(s) are still safely locked away when you ask for them.
Firearms may be required in some areas. For example, to protect against polar bears in the higher latitudes. That does not mean every other country will allow you entry.
When we are guests in another country, we depend upon their laws and their good will. If we cannot depend on that country's safety, we should not visit.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 10:26   #174

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Not too long ago a yacht was seized by Somali Pirates. All of the Christian Missionaries aboard were brutally murdered and their sailing yacht stolen, yet as far as I know nothing happened to those devils.
The missionaries from Seattle were aware of the dangers but sailed "into harms way", depending upon belief rather than the factual reports about pirates. Many of us are free to make choices. What seems right to one skipper might seem like suicide to another.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 11:15   #175

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:

What motivated those missionaries to make such a foolish choise?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 13:44   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
What motivated those missionaries to make such a foolish choise?
What you are calling a FOOLISH CHOICE, Is in truth men obeying God's Commandment to all Christians.
Note:
Mark 16:15-16 King James Version (KJV)
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Note that I was warned not to write anything concerning Christianity here on Cruisers Forum. However, It is better that I Obey God, and not Man. Please take note:

Acts 5:27-29 King James Version (KJV)
27 And when they had brought them, they set them before the council: and the high priest asked them,

28 Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.

29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

An Unworthy Servant Of Jesus Christ
Senior Chief U.S.NAVY, RETIRED
Old 20-11-2019, 14:00   #177
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

Quote:
What you are calling a FOOLISH CHOICE, Is in truth men obeying God's Commandment to all Christians.
Note:
Mark 16:15-16 King James Version (KJV)
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Note that I was warned not to write anything concerning Christianity here on Cruisers Forum. However, It is better that I Obey God, and not Man. Please take note:

Acts 5:27-29 King James Version (KJV)
27 And when they had brought them, they set them before the council: and the high priest asked them,

28 Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.

29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

An Unworthy Servant Of Jesus Christ
Senior Chief U.S.NAVY, RETIRED
No comment.!!!
Damn.. I just did..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 14:33   #178

Boat: Hunter 260

Quote:
Pete, As far as I am aware of I am the only American residing in Spain with permission to keep my Smith & Wesson 32 Cal Pistol, dated 27 March 1894 on the barrel, which belonged to my Great Grandfather William Pinkerton Williamsson, a Colonel in The Alabama 32nd Brigade during The American Civil War. He was captured in the beginning of the final year of that terrible war and was one year in a Prisoner Of War camp in New york State. When the war ended he walked every step of the way home to his farm in Tuscaloosa County, arriving four months later.

Interesting family story you have, S4J. I have the discharge papers of my Great Grandfather Elisha Springer, he was shot and honorably discharged from the Union Army. I wish knew more of his story as it sounds fairly interesting.
Old 20-11-2019, 14:53   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Assume no great security system....no motion detector lights, alarms or weapons. Think basic charter boat.

You feel the need to stand watch for security reasons.....Would you stand watch with lights on and make your presence known?... OR, hide in the dark ready to pounce?

Have any of you stood watch before because you just happen to be in a known high crime area.

Sounds silly I know......but will be my reality in a few months.
If you have a moveable house, why would you park it in a bad neighborhood ?
atlroofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 15:48   #180

Quote:
there i an electric fence that is made for cattle controll(lo voltage/hi voltage) and yes i peed on one nite accidently and that truely another experience.they a quite cheap for the saftey and security angle and ca be turned on and off at the touch of a switch
rogue trader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, grass