Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2019, 05:00   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Because I'm basically a moron.

I will be chartering where many people avoid for security reasons. I wouldn't be going except for the fact that people safely sail and anchor where we're going everyday. The areas I wish to cruise may not be perfectly safe, but safe enough.

I only have one night I'm a bit concerned about...that would be the sail back to base from Salt Whistle Bay where we may have to anchor for the night in St Vincent.

I'm not trying to make a huge deal about this.....but I think it would be prudent to keep watch. Just like any other place I thought was a bit sketchy.
If its just the one night that concerns you most then find a good nearby marina or post an anchor watch. A big upside to the marina is that you likely avoid the possibility of a violent confrontation. Whereas if you set up an anchor watch then you better have a plan of action thought out ahead of time.

When in less than savory areas I do take more precautions than usual.

Motion detectors help to notify you (many are battery operated and small so you could take a couple along...get the IR versions to avoid a bunch of false alarms).

While Ive never posted a full on security watch, I have dozed in the main salon with spot light, horn, and weapons close at hand. I have discouraged suspicious activity this way, but fortunately it has never escalated into a violent confrontation.

I used to crew on a tall ship where we always posted an achor watch as SOP (not for security reasons per se). We set it up like a normal watch schedule, usually 4 on (and we had enough crew that typcially you only had the one on watch stint). Watch was always on deck and making rounds, not just dozing above decks. A visible prescence would likely be enough to discourage most petty thieves.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 08:00   #32

Boat: offshore 8 meter

i use squares of foam camping mat with thumb tacks in them by shrouds and in cockpit.anyone treading on them will scream loud enough to attract attention.i very rarely anchor where there are no other boats.the exceptions are castries and view fort st lucia
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 08:08   #33

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Fly a marine corp flag ! Every country crook knows Marines are Bad Asses ! You just have to look the part. they are looking for easy not a fight !
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 08:13   #34

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Going to St V myself where is this suspect Anchorage so I can avoid it?
Slocum spread tacks on deck before he retired for the night.
Old 31-07-2019, 08:19   #35

Having some flares to hand might be reassuring and are an accepted item on board unlike firearms! I wouldn’t want one fired at me at close range!
kilmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 08:21   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Going to St V myself where is this suspect Anchorage so I can avoid it?
Slocum spread tacks on deck before he retired for the night.
Its not just one achorage. See CSSN maps for a graphical view of reported incidents:

https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/
Old 31-07-2019, 08:22   #37

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallowayuk View Post
i use squares of foam camping mat with thumb tacks in them by shrouds and in cockpit.anyone treading on them will scream loud enough to attract attention.i very rarely anchor where there are no other boats.the exceptions are castries and view fort st lucia
That was Sir Francis Chichester's solution.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 08:22   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallowayuk View Post
I like that idea! Makes them easy to retrieve in the AM.

Need a grommet or two in the corners to tie them down so they dont blow away.
Old 31-07-2019, 08:23   #39

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

If you are awake on guard all night how much fun are you going to have the next day?
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 08:26   #40

Boat: Outbound 46

Look, I know that St. Vincent's reputation is bad, but it is not really a "high crime" destination. We often anchor there with no precautions other than being nice to the local kids.

I guess some cruisers can be real ******** toward the local people, and maybe they are at higher risk. We try to make connections, and then never worry. Maybe that means buying some local fruit from a kid approaching your boat, or offering him some water and a peanut butter sandwich.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 08:35   #41

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

I am amazed that you would even consider chartering in an area known to have a reputation for crimes-against-cruisers. Would you take you family for a vacation in a crime ridden inner city? Why support the criminal lifestyle when so many beautiful safe charter destinations are available?
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 08:37   #42

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Yea...I was thinking being lit up is the way to go. Seeing how most boarders flee upon being detected.

Bad news is that if you are lit and visible, and the bad guys still decide to show up, their intentions would probably be very very bad.
The concern about you being illuminated is valid IF the lights are oriented such that the deck is lit, For something like this you want very bright lights that are low (Think on the coach roof) and pointed outwards. There will be enough ambient light for you to get around and see, but the outward pointing lights will blind or reduce the ability of the scum to see what is going on the deck. The concept is sometimes called a light shadow or a cone of darkness.

A strobe like will enhance the effect and also dazzle the lowlife. If you have ever been in a club when the strobes kick in you will know what I am talking about.

The blinding/dazzle effect will likely deter them but if not, it will disorient them enough to allow you time to push them off the boat, stab them, hit them, zap them, shoot them, or take what ever course of action you choose.

Interestingly, in WWII there was a weapon system called the Canal Defence (Defense for us colonials!) Light, or CDL. It was a tank with a 13 million candle power strobe/search light that was used in such a manner. In one case, it was used to defend the newly captured Remagen Bridge from frogmen. It illuminated the frogmen, and dazzled them, making it difficult if not impossible to see what they were doing.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 08:37   #43

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
May I suggest you get your dinghy and outboard way out of the water too.
Dingy theft is the only common theft we have heard of while cruising. There was an outright robbery on shore two years ago but that is very rare.

Lifting dingy and outboard out of the water. Higher davits are better. If they can cut davit lines from the water, it is too low. I always put a big chain to the outboard and make the chain visible as a deterrent. And I chain the dingy as well as the outboard.
I think an LED light that illuminates the water is great. Thieves want to sneak in under cover of dark and they will usually look elsewhere if they can't stay hidden in darkness.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 08:49   #44

If you're going to be up all night anyway, could you not do the sailing at night? You'd get an extra couple of days ashore then.
Uncle G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 08:50   #45

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCantor View Post
Look, I know that St. Vincent's reputation is bad, but it is not really a "high crime" destination. We often anchor there with no precautions other than being nice to the local kids.

I guess some cruisers can be real ******** toward the local people, and maybe they are at higher risk. We try to make connections, and then never worry. Maybe that means buying some local fruit from a kid approaching your boat, or offering him some water and a peanut butter sandwich.
I'm at Bequia now. I've talked to many that are permanent in this area ,its not as bad as this thread makes it out to be.

Be sensible, dont create opportunity, no one is doing intruder watches.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, grass