Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 17:41   #76

Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

Since one is required to keep a proper look-out at all times on board a vessel, including when at anchor, I suppose the look-out could also be keeping a standing watch for criminal activity. But that begs the question, what is the "watch" supposed to do about a pending or occurring criminal activity? The look-out's job is to mitigate against a collision or an allision and should not be assigned tasks that would preclude being an effective look-out.

Rule 5
Look-out
§ 83.05
Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.

But it seems one should simply avoid entering into situations where criminal activity is likely.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 18:24   #77

Quote:
But it seems one should simply avoid entering into situations where criminal activity is likely.
OR possible...which seems to be a good part of the Caribbean these days.
Old 01-08-2019, 19:10   #78

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Just out of curiosity, how many yachts do actually run a proper watch with non-stop lookout when at anchor?

Apart from a few superyachts I'd reckon very very few to none, if there are no pending unusual circumstances like weather or other.

Might be against the stated regulations, but is certainly normal practice not to....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Since one is required to keep a proper look-out at all times on board a vessel, including when at anchor, I suppose the look-out could also be keeping a standing watch for criminal activity. But that begs the question, what is the "watch" supposed to do about a pending or occurring criminal activity? The look-out's job is to mitigate against a collision or an allision and should not be assigned tasks that would preclude being an effective look-out.

Rule 5
Look-out
§ 83.05
Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:46   #79

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50

We sailed Rodney Bay to Admiralty Bay in May. Total trip was about 9 hours. We departed Rodney Bay in the mid-afternoon and arrived just after midnight to Admiralty Bay. We had perfect sailing conditions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Yea.....winds permitting.

I'm told sailing down to Bequia from Marigot Bay may be a 10 hour-ish sail. If we could do same on the return leg, all the better.
jspla1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:45   #80

Why would you knowingly anchor in a high crime area? It’s just not worth it.

If you feel this need, introduce yourself to neighboring boats, every light you’ve got on deck, horn on and move around a lot. The last thing you want is unwelcome guests on your boat, at night especially. Do you have someone to split the watch with you?
TXProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:52   #81

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXProud View Post

If you feel this need, introduce yourself to neighboring boats, every light you’ve got on deck, horn on and move around a lot. The last thing you want is unwelcome guests on your boat, at night especially. Do you have someone to split the watch with you?
The reality is that alot of the Carribean is relatively high crime,if you want to cruise the carribean then you live with this fact.

I'm in Bequia, 2 dinghies stolen in less than a week, I was in Grenada 1 week ago, 7 unattended boats broken into.

Many parts of the world are economically depressed ,us white guys rock up in large white flashy boats and anchor in front of locals that dont have that much creates a perfect scenario for crime.

In regards to crime the US certainly has it's fair share.

If you are sailing around the world crime is something you will need to work around.

Keep in mind a very large proportion of the locals you meet around the world are decent people, I've met some wonderful humbling people.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:05   #82

If chartering, you might consider bringing some low cost solar lights and some tie wraps, motion sensing ones can work too, but always on is best unless they will die before sunrise. Tie them around the cockpit and entrance ways.

Avoid those areas if possible, often times if it is only local crime, only a bay or two away can make a big difference.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:24   #83

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXProud View Post
The OP mentioned that he will likely have no choice. There are many reasons why one might have to. Just a few include: Seeking protection from weather, critical repair, illness, injury, picking up a stranded crew member, friend, relative, etc, prohibition on night sailing (charter) and no other stops available, and many others.

The OP also mentioned that if he could avoid it he would but there most likely he would not be able to avoid it.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:39   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Ride View Post
If chartering, you might consider bringing some low cost solar lights and some tie wraps, motion sensing ones can work too, but always on is best unless they will die before sunrise. Tie them around the cockpit and entrance ways.

Avoid those areas if possible, often times if it is only local crime, only a bay or two away can make a big difference.
Great idea and yes, we are planning on doing this.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:46   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
I still believe the flamethrower is the best solution.
Short of playing Mozart at 120 db.
Right. I'm absolutely SURE. that customs wouldn't have any problem at all with a flamethrower and a few hand grenades.

Aside from machine guns, RPGs, claymore mines, biological and chemical weapons and suitcase nukes, I did research defensive sprays in St Lucia. I even called the consulate in NYC......

"NO MON......you cannot bring de pepper spray into St Lucia.....NOT legal mon".
Old 05-08-2019, 08:07   #86

Boat: Lock Crowther 37' Catamaran - ORYOKI

From personal experience:

Get a dog. A black one preferably - When they bite they steal your soul. Our dog's growling woke me up. I called them out and they rowed away.

Second, if standing watch: Do it in the dark with a spot-light and what ever deterrent may be available at your side.

If you are in the light you will be seen but you will not be able to see. In the dark you can see and shine your beam at at any potential intruder. Blinding a swimmer with the light was a sufficient deterrent.

Dogs are great company and good reason not to sail to places that are up-wind. Dogs don't like to beat to weather. When we checked in i always listed the pup my her name and her position on board as security officer. Always got a smile or chuckle.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:27   #87

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Right. I'm absolutely SURE. that customs wouldn't have any problem at all with a flamethrower and a few hand grenades.

I rather suspect that you are correct if you are talking about the world war II flame thrower. But what if they didn't know it was a flamethrower?

There are easy hacks one can do to create a field expedient flame thrower. Perhaps the most well known are the can of carb cleaner or WD-40 and a lighter. N.B. Be sure to use the little red "straw" to achieve maximum range! One can also re-purpose a fire extinguisher to create much greater ranges and volume. The irony of this is self evident! I have also seen SCUBA gear used but those conversions are fairly expensive.

Of course, there is that pesky thing called the local law that one sometimes has to deal with afterwards!

ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:32   #88

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyFeat View Post
When we checked in I always listed the pup by her name and her position on board as security officer. Always got a smile or chuckle.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:38   #89

Compare this paranoia to the fact that there are almost weekly mass shootings in the US.....
Great Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:02   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Dane View Post
Compare this paranoia to the fact that there are almost weekly mass shootings in the US.....
Being worried about your safety in not being paranoid ... it is being prudent.

As far as your mass shootings go .... they are sad ... but not really a cruisers issue.

Maritime law requires a posted watch 24/7 .... post your watches under the spreader lights ... you and the vessles around you will thank you.
Mush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, grass