Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2020, 17:23   #1

Boat: 1977 Fuji Ketch 32
Staying on the hard

I'm looking at a hellish summer of work this year (hopefully my last), with few opportunities to get out on the water. The boat (1977 Fuji Ketch 32) is still in winter storage in Cambridge, MD. I'm considering taking a pass on this season and just leaving the boat on the hard, rather than splashing in and leaving her in her slip, mostly unattended and worrying constantly about the stuffing box and bilge pump while I'm away.
Question: What are the downsides to leaving a sailboat out of the water for extended periods of time? Do things dry out too much? Thru hulls? Sea cocks, etc? Obviously, the diesel won't be getting any fresher. But what else do I have to worry about? Any suggestions?
CapitanoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 17:30   #2

Boat: Shopping...
Re: Staying on the hard

By far, your boat will fare much better on the hard if you are not to use it. The hull will loose some humidity, which is a good thing for a plastic boat. Good idea to lubricate thru hull seacocks and add fuel additive. Wipe dry the bilge and make sure your batteries stay charged.
Old 08-03-2020, 17:36   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

I've done this twice now with two different boats; not launching and left them in the hard through two winters and the intervening summer. There were no problems.

Naturally you'll want to examine the thru-hulls as you get close to re-launch. They may dry out if there is wood backing, or sealant. But it shouldn't cause any big problems. Just work them, and be ready to do the normal maintenance once it goes back in.

As long as the boat is properly supported in stands or cradle, and you take care of the batteries and fuel (stabalizer), then I don't see any problem.
Old 08-03-2020, 18:35   #4

As above, and cover well. Be sure the bilge pump works to handle any rainwater ingress.

Regular inspection to be sure a family of squirrels or other varmints haven't taken up residence is an excellent idea. You can not imagine the damage THAT can cause!
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:24   #5

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

I can, from experience, 5 garbage bags of "hay", dead chick, bird poop, etc.

Bill

Regular inspection to be sure a family of squirrels or other varmints haven't taken up residence is an excellent idea. You can not imagine the damage THAT can cause![/QUOTE]
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:58   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Unless the hull is wood, keep it in the shed or on dry. Boats last almost infinitely this way.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:03   #7

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitanoK View Post
..............Question: What are the downsides to leaving a sailboat out of the water for extended periods of time? Do things dry out too much? Thru hulls? Sea cocks, etc? Obviously, the diesel won't be getting any fresher. But what else do I have to worry about? Any suggestions?
My Hunter 386 sailboat was on the hard for 3 years while I was living overseas. Changed the engine oil, removed the sails and shrink wrapped it. The only issues were dirt and spiders in the furling mast cavity (had to climb the mast with a noze to flush it out), bird nests in the boom and anchor locker, algae formation in the fuel since I did not top off the diesel tank and add sufficient enzyme fuel treatment, batteries could not be trickle charged and had to be replaced, required new hard bottom paint prior to splashing and boat got filthy dirty in dusty Napa, California.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:05   #8

Boats on the hard suffer sunburn , overheating And they get grubby

Important to check that the boat is blocked up on her lines , not bow down or bow up

If the boat is not on its lines it deck and cockpit drainage
Is affected and this makes a mess
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:15   #9

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Boats on the hard suffer sunburn , overheating And they get grubby..................
I can contest.............no more sun damage on the hard than in the water (waxing brought the fiberglass back to new), no overheating, no dirt inside but it was grubby outside (several days of cleaning resolved that). A rigging inspection after I splashed the boat showed no issues. I polished the diesel fuel and changed both primary and secondary fuel filters twice after I splashed the boat
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:05   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I wouldn't worry about it. I might be more concerned about the engine but not much. just don't go crazy when starting it. Pull the water pump impellers and start it periodically just enough to get oil pressure.
JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
on the hard